How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Rosen is the consensus top pick?
    I just saw McShay's mock that had Darnold going #1 overall.
    I'm gonna guess Darnold is the Giants preferred target as well, so I actually hope the Browns do take Darnold first. It's still fluid, and will come down to who a team likes for their system, as there is no slam dunk choice this draft.

I'd agree Rosen is the most ready to play day 1, but that doesn't make him the best prospect.
    Questions about maturity, leadership and likeability are not things that would make me comfortable risking my entire franchise via a massive trade up. The interview and investigation process will be huge. Does he compare to Jay Cutler, or are those concerns overblown?

ALL of these QB's will need the right system and team to succeed.
    I don't see any Peyton Manning / Drew Brees types in this draft who can succeed anywhere.
    That's why I wouldn't give up the farm to trade up.

JetsFan likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I see your point, but if you look at the big picture, draft picks aren't all that valuable UNLESS you use one to get a franchise difference-maker in a the position you drafted. And factor in that over 60% of successful QBs were 1st round picks, it really does strongly suggest that if a GM thinks he can get a FQB, he's best served by going all-in. Worst case, if he's wrong, he burned a few draft picks that most likely weren't going to make a big difference anyway. It's too early yet to say with any degree of certainty which QBs may be worth that gamble - as you pointed out, the interview/investigation process will be huge - but there will be a couple IMO and Macc (or his successor) needs to target and obtain him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand your not thinking it's worth the risk to do massive trade up for Darnold or Rosen. I don't necessarily agree with that, but can certainly understand your position, and I think it has some real merit.

That wasn't what my post was in regards to, however. I stated that with the lack of quality QBs in the NFL and with so many teams wanting a QB, the Jets might have to do a massive trade up just to get whichever one they want from among Mayfield, Jackson, Allen, Thorson, Rudolph and Falk.

It will definitely be interesting to see how they all grade out, where they go in the draft, and how they do in the NFL.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that 1st and 2nd round picks won't make a big difference if they're wasted. That's one of the reasons the Jets are where they are now. Too many of those top picks have been wasted or used solely on D. It IS worth the risk to get a FQB, however.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Can't win the Lottery if you don't buy a ticket...

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Regardless of the QB whether it's a draft pick, FA, McCown, or McElroy we need to invest heavily in the OL. If a young QB or any QB is going to have a chance he needs an OL. I am amazed at what mcCown did this year with our OL. We desperately need a center a RT and an upgrade a guard. I loved how jax improved by investing in Fournette. A running games makes bad QBs look ok. Look at Bortles and how well we protected the team against sanchezs weaknesses with a strong line and running game.

7. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Draft Baker or Lamar ^_^

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Their biggest upgrades were to the trenches..... making Fournette a viable commodity, which in turn took pressure off Bortles (who was tossing more pick 6s than Sanchez)
    If they cant draft a FQB, I'd be all for back to back O-line picks if the prospects available dictate

Leicester Jet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Josh McCown gives us the best chance to win... oh wait.. what lottery ticket? oops.. Says smirkster Toilet Bowles

10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I've been watching some videos on Josh Allen lately and I have to admit I'm starting to drink the kool aid a little. I assume there is a good chance he'll be available with whatever pick we have and the fantastic thing about him is he needs some good coaching to make sure he develops right and developing talented young QBs with potential is a hallmark strong suite of the Jets franchise.

I mean.... what could possibly go wrong? And we've got McCown already in stock to bring him along slowly. Aside from my cynical suspicion that we'd probably blow it somehow I really think he looks the part. Maybe it could work.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Anything but Baker Mayfield. 100 percent bust

101GangGreen101 and legler82 like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Petty is OUT of my equation after today. So keep Hack, sign a vet, and draft a QB. Pretty simple plan now.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

slimjasi likes this.
  14. legler82

How can a team with an interim HC and no GM have a preferred target at this point?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. legler82

Since the rumors have swirling about him being coveted by the Jets, I too have been watching a lot of tape on Josh Allen. While I wouldn't go as far as to start drinking the Kool Aid, I will say that I'm slowly getting to the point where I wouldn't be upset if we did end up with him. He's the type of prospect that can get by early on sheer athleticism and arm talent as he develops into a true quality NFL starter.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Why would you possibly keep him when everybody on the team says he is much worse than Petty and will never see the field except by cause of an injury?

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We keep saying that our starter isn't on the roster yet but after the past 2 games it's plain to see that we don't even have a competent backup... Petty is just horrible.

Even if we go after a Cousins or another in FA I'd still draft a QB in this upcoming draft...It's plenty obvious the position needs a total overhaul.

The Dark Knight and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Baker Mayfield is my guy, with Lamar Jackson as the backup plan.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

19. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Many of these college QBs are overrated. Darnold is a USC QB, that says everything I need to know. Josh Allan isn't ready at all for the NFL, but he is coming out and for some reason a lot of you like him. Josh Rosen is a good prospect but far from a lock. I like Mayfield and Rudolph as top three QBs with Rosen and would be very happy with a cocky smart ass Mayfield who has been a top 4 Heisman candidate three years in a row and the winner this year. He is the most accurate QB in college and gets the job done not just by throwing 5 yard passes.

The Jets need to resign McCown to a friendly deal similar to this season ($6-8M). He was a good team player, better than we expected and a good QB coach to the young guys. Not his fault they suck. They should draft either Mayfield, Rosen or Rudolph as the future. Then cut Petty or Hack at the end of the season. Neither will be the guy, but they are cheap, under contract and at least has some experience. I wouldn't mind us cutting both, but we will need three QBs going into camp and they are already there.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Again I am seeing plenty of Posts that want the "perfect FQB"...No one has any hopeful or positive to admit here

Back To Queens wants future Hall of Famers ONLY:

"ALL of these QB's will need the right system and team to succeed.
    I don't see any Peyton Manning / Drew Brees types in this draft who can succeed anywhere.
    That's why I wouldn't give up the farm to trade up."

BTW who knew Drew Brees or Peyton Manning "could succeed anyhere?",,One guy came from the Purdue Boilermakers and Peyton Tenn Vols....other than knowing both were good players I wouldn't say they were trained in NFL type programs...LMAO

Sure guys lets obsess and split some more hairs for this Draft

Point is it will cost us to move up and grab a QB...well go to the second and third round and get what you pay for ...year after year same fears and pretzel logic...pathetic

What "farm" are we giving up ??? two Seasons back to back of 5-11 ? and a clueless HC ...You cleaned house of dead beat Vets and now we can build a team...but guess what ? NO FQB NO WINNING

"When You Aint Got Nothing You Nothing To Lose"

Rolling Stones or future winners ? ....I say pay the price or no nowhere

NCJetsfan likes this.