Was fishing today. How bad was it?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I haven't watched the game yet. Knowing the Jets lost, just how bad was Petty? Did he lose the game for them today? How many INT's? Good game plan?

I recorded the game so I'll watch it tomorrow when I get home from work. Just got in from Jersey so you guys just fire away. I'll read tomorrow.. :)

Cman

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

conservative game plan, defense was ok today.
    petty isn't good. to inconsistent, misses easy throws, locks on to receivers. just not good. mccown might have won that game

#2 FJF, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Royal Tee, grkmanga31 and Jets69 like this.
  3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Only addition I would make is that Petty actually looked reasonable on the longer stuff, but not a lot of that was called. He was just bad on the shorter and quick hit stuff.

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

your boy isn't gonna impress you broseph

Jets69 likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

On the bright side, he didn't go full Nate Peterman and throw 5 INTs. But he completed less than half his passes, threw 2 INTs, and played badly enough that we probably would have won if McCown started.

Royal Tee likes this.
  6. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Petty's performance against the Saints:

Cons:
    • INCONSISTENT.
    • >50% completion wont cut it.
    • Showed poor footwork at times. I thought his footwork was better last year.
    • Way too many inaccurate passes. At least 4 passes that bounced in front of Anderson and even completes on short passes were off target/missed YAC opportunities.
    • Allignment/too many players on field. Petty's fault? Didnt happen with McCown so I assume some of it was on Petty.
    Pros:
    • Protected the ball....Two interceptions, but the first should have been a PI call and the second was desperation time and his WR fell down as the ball came in.
    • Showed poise on scrambles.
    • Had some very nice throws, 38 yarder to McGuire, 24 yarder over the top to Chad Hanson, avoiding the free rush and throwing on the run to Natson for 19 yard gain. Otherwise the gameplan was very conservative and it was dump offs most of the game.
    • When the gameplan was opened up in the 4th qtr, Petty was able to get a TD and bring the Jets within 4 pts with under 2 mins remaining. If the Jets didnt screw up the onside kick it could have been interesting.
    Some Points:
    • Hard to tell whether the conservative gameplan was because of limitations of Petty, the running game was working, or some combination. It nearly worked in this instance, but one of Bowles' major flaws is he is too conservative. After the Skrine 4th qtr fumble recovery, the Saints are on their heels and the Jets have a chance to steal one. What are the play calls? Runs and dump off passes. They should have taken a downfield shot right there.
    • McCowns a good guy, and a tough player. And I understand why the Jets made him the starter at the beginning of the season. But if Petty gave the Jets this kind of performance in week 5 rather than week 15, protecting the ball and making a few decent throws, I wonder what the perception of Petty would be. I think most on this board would think he gave you something to build on. Maybe the Jets only win 3 games with Petty instead of 5 with McCown. Maybe Petty gets better as the season goes on and they win 5 or more. Either way I think its a wash.
    • Petty looks like a servicible backup/bridge QB until they find their franchise guy.

Royal Tee likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Cman I wanted him to do well but man it was tough to watch. The short throws were not accurate at all although he made a couple of nice long throws. Only his 5th start---- but I really don't know if he has the goods as much as I want him to

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I give him the benefit of the doubt, play calling was horrendous, he missed a bunch of short throws, made some nice long throws, but Rich Gannon said it to you have nothing to lose let him throw down the field, Anderson dropped 4 passes that hit both of his hands...Turd you fuckin' idiot!

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Jets showed up and kept the game interesting. That was better than what I expected. Petty shows he is lacking game experience. It is what it is. Onto next draft.

Royal Tee likes this.
  10. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I wrote this in another thread and will repeat it here:

After watching the game today, I totally understand why the Jets started the season with McCown. Totally get it.

FJF and zace like this.
  11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

This was very evident today. He just hasn't progressed.

Play calling wasnt bad at all. Oline has a good game, run game was working and defense was getting turnovers. Petty was the worst player on the field on either team

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I don’t understand how you can praise the playcalling that only 1/2x the entire game took advantage of Petty’s only strength, the deep ball. No one is saying go full out and downfield 10x but they basically deployed a conservative dink and dunk attack and Petty isn’t very accurate for that kind of playcalling to be effective. He needs some big plays. I thought Morton was atrocious and even the announcers called him out too.

matt robinson 17 and K'OB like this.
  13. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think if you want to be bullish on Bryce Petty you have to notice that while he totally clunks some of these "easy" (by NFL standards) throws he also makes some fantastic ones like they were no problem. One has to assume that with experience he could stop clunking the easy ones, continue to make the occasional fantastic ones and you'd have a little putty (Petty?) to mold and work with.

From my dumbass fan seat I give him about a C- on the day and make a note that while he showed some legit flashes you just can't clunk easy throws like that if you want to survive in the NFL let alone prosper. I also got the sense that he didn't get a ton of help from playcalling, some drops, and some terrible substitution jobs by the staff.

matt robinson 17 and PulseJet like this.
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He looked rushed, his footwork was atrocious, i think mortons WCO is too complicated for him, he went to his first read immediately and when he had to go to 2nd or 3rd reads, he never adjusted his feet, he just threw the ball without a good base and it was not pretty.

He needs playing time so the game can slow down for him, honestly I don't know if his tenure with jets should continue.

He's inconsistent don't know if he can be fixed.

zace likes this.
  15. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Soon as you saw that box score you should have deleted the game off your dvr list.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Petty has no accuracy. If they let him air it out, it'll be sixpatrick all over again. The one good drive they had, they ran the ball 10 times on a 14 play drive. No a garbage time td against a prevent defense isn't impressive.

Morton was right to call the game he did. Fans need to stop making excuses for petty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Did you catch anything???

18. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Remember when JJ Watt batted down 10 passes from Sanchize?

Double that today with Petty

What a fucking joke

These are things a real coaching staff and Real team ADJUST to.

After 16 batted balls, most teams will flat out decide to throw to the opposite side of the field to Jordan. This is just one example of 5,000 reasons the jets have sucked since ‘70

True honest fuckness by grown ass well paid men dumb as rocks

19. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah- how about we EVER return a kickoff past the 20?

My fucking word. We got the smallest player in the nfl and yet he’s slow and not elusive!!!!! Can’t return a broken hose to Home Depot.

Pathetic franchise top to bottom

We need Mangini back. Sick of stupid, non detail oriented goofy dopey coaches,

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Was fishing today, how bad was it? Hmm. The only thing worse would be being lost at sea and then getting capsized by a monsoon on a three hour tour. Then again, how bad was Gilligan's Island, really? Let's see now, Ginger, Maryann, or the Jets? Narrow it down to the first two.