WIlkerson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsfansince95, Sep 24, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I would say that his behavior played a bigger part in this but I think injury may play a factor as well. Have to ensure he doesn't get injured and muddy his eventual release.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sounds like Mo is fed up with the Jet Organization and really could care less what anyone thinks about it. I still think this all started with the dismantling of the "Sons of Anarchy". Maybe Rex's departure might have been the ignition of his grievance but there certainly seems to be bad blood there. Time to move on but if they do, Macc has some 'splaining to do to CJ about that unnecessarily generous contract he handed Wilkerson.

Red Menace and grkmanga31 like this.
  3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Wow. Guess that's officially it for him. With those $17mil in savings (post June 1st) they can sign a quality free agent who will likely be better with a whole lot left over. The team can get a whole lot better with just this change

Good for Bowles making the decision.

I can't believe this is how it all went with Mo after that contract. Clearly I don't know the guy, but I never thought his play and attitude would be so poor. I was happy about his resigning at the time. Sad he became what he did instead of a longtime Jets legend from NJ. Oh well, moving on

NCJetsfan and grkmanga31 like this.
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

This team needs some real inspirational leadership. Is Santonio Holmes still a free agent?

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Dang, I'm going to have to change my username to Williams Central.

6. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

7. grkmanga31

Wilkerson has got to be one of the worst FA contracts given out by Maccagnan. Understood the reasoning behind it, but man does it look bad now.

Wilkerson, Fitz, Revis, all horrific contracts.

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Revis is the topper, 39 million guaranteed...yikes.

Skrine is not that far behind either.

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  9. grkmanga31

Yep. Not to turn this into a bash Maccagnan thread but I think he gets a pass sometimes because he's very buttoned up and looks and sounds the part of being a GM. He's better than Idzik was and so a lot of us just turn a blind eye. Personally, I am starting to think that currently the Jets have a serious problem that may need to be addressed at both GM and HC.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Very few players are worth an 8 digit salary. This is something the Jets have been slow to learn, likely because they are driven as much by perception as by fact.

I would not pay anybody outside of a QB at a 10% of the cap rate. Nobody is that impactful given the nature of the NFL team sport. QB's can be irreplaceable over the midterm and so you pay a premium for them.

Better to pay 3 good offensive tackles $7M each than to pay 1 $17M and have a huge dropoff if either your LT or RT gets hurt. In most seasons one of your tackles will be banged up by mid-season.

Wilkerson was just a flatout mistake. He already had discipline issues and expecting those to magically go away once he got paid was wishful thinking. Then he got hurt. That's football.

11. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Awesome. Giants got our one good D lineman, we paid the biggest bum of the lot 17 million after breaking his leg, now Giants get the qb we want and we will draft Wilkersons 300 pound non pass rushing replacement but hey that's the life of a jets fan!

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Shame. Going to have to retire his jersey (good thing I picked that shit up at Marshall's for $6). Now I only have an Adams jersey left.

Brook! and grkmanga31 like this.
  13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I know it is an inconsequential point but I think they would be better off taking the full hit this season. Saves $11M on the cap and $9M dead money as opposed to the $17M cap savings with $3M dead money this season and $6M cap hit next season.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Damn, now we know that Adams will crash and burn too. People need to start buying Winters and Wesley Johnson jerseys.

15. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

This is from Yahoo! Sports quoting NFL.com:

grkmanga31 likes this.
  16. grkmanga31

Agreed 100%. Jets have been very bad at differentiating the importance of certain positions. But this will have to be a mistake they learn from and Macc best learn from this if he's going to stay on

17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

You have to manually make them on the website.

18. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

It is crazy to think that he was All-Pro twice and made it last 2-years ago. I absolutely understood the contract when it was handed out, he really was that good. the circumstances that unfolded i do not think could have ever been predicted, he genuinely seemed like someone that loved playing football in his home state. i guess it is difficult to judge a guy from the outside.

it definitely sucks to see our once dominant DL come to an end, but I am super confident in Williams moving forward. i think he's great, it is just difficult to put up stats as an interior rusher without outside help. hopefully we can draft/sign someone great to help him out

it truly does suck to see Mo leave and I hope people don't completely forget about the great times he gave us. he definitely has embarrassed himself on the way out, but it still kinda stinks to see him go

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s great in theory, reality is a bit different though. For 7 mil you are gambling on tackles coming off injury or down years or on the verge of aging out. The good tackles are not signing long term 7mil per year deals.
    Mo didn’t workout, not the first or the last to disappoint after getting his 2nd contract. Sucks but that’s the market in the nfl and it won’t be changing anytime soon.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  20. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

It's a mixed bag.. Mac "had" to spend money because Idzik didn't. That doesn't mean he had to spend it foolishly (Cromartie, Revis, Skrine, etc.) but we can't fault him for spending money. That group of FA's wasn't the best either so it was slim pickings but he could have spent more wisely.

I think his bigger failure (more so than fitz 2.0) is the whole sons of anarchy debacle. Of the 3 sons the one he should have kept he let go to the Giants. I don't blame him for not paying Richardson, he's 1 miscue away from a lengthy suspension and I thought he got good value in Kearse and a 2nd rounder. With Mo you just knew the second he got paid he'd stop performing. He'll argue that is the reason for the out clause after this year but I think he could have structured it differently to hit the exit button sooner. In the end all 3 sons will be off the team. That is poor management. He better thank the draft gods that Williams dropped into his lap otherwise this D line would be in complete shambles.

grkmanga31 likes this.