I think Todd Bowles lost his job yesterday-who replaces him?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Nov 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I don't particularly follow it religiously, but from what I've seen it had been due to subpar QB play. They do have an Ole Miss QB transfer coming in (Shea Patterson)

Brook! likes this.
  2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Frank Reich would be at the top of my list. He interviewed 3 years ago and has now made the eagles offense high powered and has helped Wentz transform into one of the most exciting and dominating QB's in the league. Very unfortunate he got injured.

3. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I agree with you on both, but if we go with McDaniels, we need to get Nick Caserio director of player personnel for the Patriots as the GM.

4. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

That's because Bellichick has done plenty of it. Look at BB's first SB and you'll see a lot of emotion. Perhaps Toilet would be better if he started to show a little emotion.

5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'd go with Frank Reich.
    Todd Haley in the NY market could be just as much of a circus as Rex Ryan brought.

Wouldn't turn my nose up at Jim Bob Cooter, either.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Frank Reich or Russ Grimm

grkmanga31 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  7. dman928

dman928 Well-Known Member

I've always thought that Westhoff would make a very good head coach.

8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I want an offense guy with head coaching experience.

Todd Haley

9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

McDaniels I'm still not sold on. 2nd time around he still may be the same overwhelmed immature prick. Mike McCoy is the guy I think will be good with his second chance. Bill Callahan too. Would like him back in the fold somehow with this franchise

I'd take a chance on Reich but would rather just throw a ton of money at Gruden.

10. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Not sure about very good, but I thought he'd definitely be above average. Always wonder if his health issues scared teams away. But he's still kicking and very feisty

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

My preference is someone with HC experience, but that wouldn't be my only criteria...I'd look on it as maybe a tie-breaker, if two or more candidates seemed to fit the bill, and only one had HC experience I'd have to consider that. Aside from that I want someone who has strong offensive coaching experience, especially if they've been associated with the development of a top QB.

I don't know if it's possible, but we MUST break out of this "defense first" mentality. It's an offense-oriented league, and more than that, a pass-oriented league. That the Jets continue to hold onto their outdated philosophy proves why they continue to struggle as a franchise. I really don't understand why they don't return to their "high flying" roots, the reason they were named the Jets, and focus on scoring bunches of points. It should be obvious - to anyone besides the Jets F.O. anyway - that investing heavily in defense, and hiring defensive-minded coaches is a failed recipe.

NY Jets68, tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

For all those who argue for keeping Bowles by saying "He gets them to play hard", I wonder if even that is true. From this NYP article today:

https://nypost.com/2017/12/12/todd-bowles-troubling-coaching-trends-are-piling-up-fast/

"Bowles seems unable to get his team to play on the road the way it plays at MetLife Stadium. The Jets are 1-5 on the road this season and 9-14 away from home in Bowles’ three years. Two of those wins in the first year come with asterisks — one was in London against the Dolphins and the other was “at” the Giants.

If you look at those nine road wins, they have come against bad teams. Only one finished with a non-losing record — the 2015 Colts, who were 8-8. The combined record of the teams the Jets have beaten on the road are 34-91. This year, their lone road win came over the 0-13 Browns."

Maybe them doing better at home has more to do with fan support and energy than Bowles? Think about it - would a coach prepare his team any differently or use a different approach to getting them pumped up at home vs. on the road? Of course all teams do worse away than at home, but we posted some stats in another thread the other day that show that the great teams actually win the majority of their away games, while most everyone else are doing well to split them, but the Jets are worse than average, so clearly something is wrong. But if Bowles was the great motivator some here claim he is, he would be overcoming that "away curse", with his exceptional motivational techniques.

If keeping Bowles on is based up his ability to get them them to "play hard", he might be getting too much credit.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just one little thing... They were named the "Jets" because of Shea's proximity to the main runway at LaGuardia Airport. Jets routinely took off and landed directly over the stadium.. Back to you.. :)

FJF and NY Jets68 like this.
  14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I really didn't know that. Thanks Grandpa C. :)

Cman68 likes this.
  15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

that would be interesting... he has the balls to be a HC... just not the experience. Wouldn't want our HC instinctively having his ST unit as his main priority lol

16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Promote John Morton if all else fails!

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am looking at some of the RPO plays - unless there was a drastic rule change, it will not work in NFL.

As far as I understand:

1. There must be seven players at the LoS before the snap.
    2. Only two players at the both end of these seven players are eligible receivers.
    3. Ineligible receivers may not advance beyond the LoS before the ball crosses the LoS during forward pass play.

This is not what I saw from RPO offense. [I saw the playbook - it had C advancing up and taking out MLB and all other illegal bullshit all over.] If anybody pulled that shit in the NFL, his team will get flag every fucking time.

Don't just take my words for it:

[​IMG]

You see LG and C advancing up well beyond.

Or this.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...read-fighting-irish-brandon-wimbush-chip-long

First replay clip will show you the OLs moving well beyond the LoS by the time QB fires the pass. That's clearly illegal in the NFL.

Say no to RPO. Maybe it's one of these college gimmicks, but it is guaranteed to fail at NFL.

#237 Zach, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  18. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I definitely see the problems there, particularly with the guard and center. It's definitely an issue for the scheme, as defined in your research.

When referring to the RPO, I was talking about the version that the Eagles run with Wentz. However they did it, they managed to do it without incurring unusual penalties (e.g., ineligible receiver) along the OL.

That said, your concern about such an offense being gimmicky (or, at the absolute least, highly dependent upon having a special player at the QB position) is certainly well-founded. I don't know if the Eagles offense will continue to work when Wentz returns next year. (It does take a tremendous toll on the QB and puts him at risk.)

My point was that whatever scheme Pederson, Reich and the Eagles were running -- whether a true RPO, a variant, or just Wentz improvising -- was really fun to watch. And it won the Eagles a lot of games! Wouldn't mind seeing the Jets play that way on Sundays.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m all aboard the Reich train, especially if he brings Difillipo with him as OC.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Anytime my young Jedi apprentice..:)

Brook! likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.