All the talk about improving the offense thru a FQB, but what about our Defense?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, Dec 13, 2017.

1. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

It's apparent that our offense carried this woeful team. Our defense has regressed every season since Rex was fired.
    Our team fundamentals have dropped off so far that this team full of 1st round picks, can't stop a paper tiger.
    It's almost very justifiable that we go defense early in the draft, rather than QB. We have so many holes on this team on both sides of the ball, we should go BPA every pick for the next 5 years to a decade.
    Maybe with all the money we have, and the decent amount of picks we have in the top 100, it would be a good time to improve the team in all areas, rather than gamble on a QB? Again, if we have the opportunity to grab our version of Marino, Montana, Elway, we take it.
    Since we don't have the QB whisperer or offensive system in place to majorly aid in this process, what should JETS brass do? What will they do? Predictions for the offseason? Bring it gang.

LAJet likes this.
  2. Im sure they will go Defense..and lose at least half the fan base in the process lol

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What do you mean we don’t have the qb whisperer in place? Mccown is having a career year and is ranked very high this year. Bates is a helluva coach.

Brook! likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

What about it...8 years of feh

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jets should sign some FAs here. OLB, CB and NT that is. If Jets spend first 3 picks on QB/RB/C, then defense has to be addressed via FA.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Actually what you're outlining is a need to replace the CS, not so much the personnel. Of course there are some holes to fill, especially pass rusher, CB, maybe NT, but as big as those holes are, they're potholes compared to the gaping chasm at the skill positions and OL.

tbruner12 and cgrec like this.
  7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

The remaining half can share a short bus to the home opener.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The only way the Jets go defense is if their #1 QB Target is off the board and their #1 pass rusher is graded above their #2 QB.

(Assuming the Jets draft 6th-10th position)

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Good point but let’s ignore the defense in the draft for a change. Spend 3 first picks on offense. If top QB is gone try for the second one, if that is gone as well try for Offensive Line. Then try for either WR or a RB in third round. Defense has holes yes but this is an Offense first league and for once let’s prioritize offense.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If the Jets are drafting from 6-10, it's hard for me to imagine that the 5 best QBs would all be gone by then, and so too would any pass rusher that MIGHT be considered a better pick than any of those QBs. But let's say a top pass rusher fell to them, and one of those top 5 QBs was there too, it would be a mistake IMO to pass over the QB. This team needs a FQB desperately, and that has to be their #1 focus until filled.

Consider what the Browns did. They've needed a FQB since their "re-birth" in 1999, and yet they drafted "D" with their first two picks last year. They've skipped over some great QB prospects because their people didn't "value" them highly. Guys like Carson Wentz to name one. And their approach to player evaluation sounds scarily similar to that used by Macc:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/13/cleveland-browns-jimmy-haslam-john-dorsey-draft-mmqb-mailbag

"The Browns do have holes all over their roster, in part because their analytics people put a value on players and don’t waver much; that led to the disastrous swap of a player they’d developed, wideout Terrelle Pryor, who they let go in free agency, for wide receiver Kenny Britt, who they signed for the same money they’d have given Pryor (four years, $32 million)."

You can say that their guys aren't as good as Macc & Co., and maybe you're right, but sticking rigidly to some set of "values" you have, you had better be damn good at setting those values, and so far I don't think that can be said about Macc.

The Jets - like any of team in the NFL - aren't going to be consistent winners until they get their FQB. "D" has to take a back seat to that priority.

NYJetsO12, KurtTheJetsFan and Brook! like this.
  11. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

With a good defensive mind at the helm (not Bowles) this D had the potential to at least be pretty decent. They were not supposed to be as completely bereft of talent as the offense is.

And yet the offense has been the bright spot. Who would ever know Bowles is a defensive (specifically secondary) coach. Secondary is a mess. He can't call plays. Mo Wilk has been a disaster. Adams/Maye...meh.

Rex got more out of less to be honest.

tbruner12, LAJet and Cman68 like this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Perhaps the problem is our DC and not the personnel???

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO
    When year after year we draft defense with the first pick;
    and soon after most all of them begin to under perform;
    and some are completely under utilized and playing out of their natural position;
    and a few very talented ones like Richardson and Snacks get right out traded while keeping a perennial under achiever;
    and our defensive schemes get to be completely trashed by the opposing OFFENSES;
    ONE NEEDS TO WONDER MORE ABOUT THE QUALITY OF OUR HC AND DC AND LESS ABOUT THE MYTH OF OVER ACHIEVING WITH NO TALENT
    The fact that our so called bottom of the barrel offense totally out played our much improved defense is a glaring testament to that.
    It's time to fix the real problem, FQB or not.

14. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

I really wish they would take a 300 pound defensive end that will equate to a glorified run stuffer. I'm pretty sure that would put this defense WAY over the top

15. The defense likely isn’t that different from above average defenses around the league.The secondary is very young & the lack of a true edge rusher is detrimentel. Where the criticism begins is the notion of winning w defense.The defense’s role as it pertains to the whole league has dramatically changed. The new rules & quick passing game make it near impossible to bottle offenses up from week to week.A defense is better off emphasizing turnovers and/or bend but don’t break than counting on perfection on every down & constant 3 n outs.

Bowles attracts criticism bc he continues to coach games that put the onus on the defense to win,never shows public concern for the offense & didn’t even talk to offensive players last season!

What are fans & followers of this team who want to win forced to do? Buy into TB’s concept of winning w defense & when we see the defense perform marginally better than a team that emphasizes balance & prioritizing offense..it’s not a good look for TB.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If you watched the Patriots game or Jets game last week, you'd easily notice that strong front seven is in fact a powerful neutralizer to a good passing team.

Jets had a very good NT - and Mac let him slip away. Add to the fact that Jets do not have a fearsome edge rusher. That means this defense will have hard time stopping the opposing offense.

And I am inclined to think that Todd Bowles is not a good defensive mind either. Probably he leeched off Bruce Arians' defensive roster more than we thought. I am actually starting to wonder if Arians called the defense as well - because the defense I saw from Bowles during the last three years is nothing like what I saw in Arizona. [They blitzed. Hard. Like 55% of the snaps. Jets? Not even halfway close.]

17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Arizona's defensive talent was much better than ours but I too think that Bowles scheme and coaching is just mediocre

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't know about that.

When Bowles took over, WIlkerson was on 6-sack campaign, but had 10 sack year before. On the other side, he had Richardson. Harrison was clogging up the middle. Jets could actually utilize 5 men pressure reliably. Yes. Wilkerson had 12 sacks in Bowles's first year, but then he went AWOL. [Interestingly, that coincides with Harrison departure.] No other Jet that year [2015] had 10+ sack. Given the situation of 3 stud DL, I don't understand how this is possible.

And every defensive player regressed under Bowles's watch. Everyone. Maybe individual stats aren't everything, but the team stat can't be ignored. The team does exceptionally well in 2015, but then takes a nosedive in 2016, and stays down there this year. I don't know whose fault that is, other than Bowles's.

19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I should have phrased my comment better because I whole heatedly agree that the defense was stacked when he got here, I think the talent dipped last season and is on the up rise this season. In general though, you would think as a defensive coach - he would be able to have this team consistently top 10 in defense and he hasn't. That's a testament to himself and how mediocre of a coach he is. I think the stats you use and the actual team defense stats also back your point up.

I haven't backed Bowles this season and think the Jets can do so much better. After the debacles in Tampa and in Denver, I think much of what has plagued him as a coach is still very much a live and well. He has done nothing to help himself nor address his issues and when you can't self scout yourself and understand what you can do better then you're bound to keep on repeating the same mistakes.

The way he coaches and in-game manages is very suspect and I feel like he is very scared to push the envelope.

I would think that if we lose these next 3 games, he may very well be axed.

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Obsessing over what positions we drafted in previous drafts is nothing more than crying over spilled milk. The fact is that our offense is better than our defense. Sure we need to consider that older players such as McNown, Forte, and even Carpenter will need replacements we also have to figure out who is going to get defensive snaps when we cut Mo and Skrine loose.

We need balance and we need to draft the best impact players regardless of position. There is no point in trading up to # 1 for a QB if neglecting the OL means we are drafting the next David Carr. As good as Dak Prescott is even with Dez Bryant he doesn't look half as good without Ezekiel Elliot.

While we need to find our QB of the future (even if he might already be on the roster) forcing the issue by passing up superior talent for our second or third choice at QB would be a mistake. Look what happened when Atlanta poached Favre and we settled for the next guy.

Despite what most people think, taking a defensive player with our first pick could be the best thing to happen for us in a long time.

tbruner12 likes this.
  21. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That's gonna be a REALLY TOUGH SELL to the fanbase JH. Most figure we have enough 1st rounders on the defense already and instead of the talent being the issue, the coaching of that unit could be the likely culprit. If Macc goes BPA-D again, it had better be the calibre of a JJ Watt or else his name will be flying overhead at Florham Pk. on a banner.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.