I think Todd Bowles lost his job yesterday-who replaces him?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Nov 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Petty is under contract through the end of next year. The way Hack played in preseason makes me thing Petty will be here at least one more year.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

How do you know Petty would've done that? Maybe he needed some time and some throws to get the rust off. Bowles quit, he quit on Petty long ago, and he quit on his team yesterday.

Cman68 and abc like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

How could Petty have command of an offense he hasn't worked with? Jesus! How hard is that to understand?

abc likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Are you telling me Petty got no reps as a backup qb? Throughout the off season and during the season? Please provide proof that the Jets haven't given any reps to the backup. This is standard protocol in nfl practices.

Backups like Case Keenum, came in and had command of the offense the moment they stepped on the field. Did you watch Nick Foles when Wentz went down? Led to a win, but had command of the offense. I want proof that Petty gets 0 reps. This consirpacy theory stuff has to stop.

FJF likes this.
  5. Beki

Beki Active Member

Petty worked with this offense during the TC and preseason.

6. Beki

Beki Active Member

Just few sentences, what I think summarizing properly our last 3 seasons:
    http://turnonthejets.com/2017/12/in...ork-jets-get-reality-check-denver/#more-40006

"A few feel good wins this year should not cloud the fact that as of today the Jets have a Head Coach and General Manager who have been below average through three years, no long term answer at quarterback, no top flight pass rusher and no shutdown cover corner. This roster needs immense amounts of help and this coaching staff needs to get much, much better. Bowles and Maccagnan are the first Jets Head Coach/General Manager combination since Jim Kensil and Walt Michaels (1977-1980) to not make the playoffs in their first three years on the job. They are now 20-25 in their first 45 games."

KurtTheJetsFan, abc and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Bowles & Mac have taken this organization backwards. The Jets were in shambles and didn't have any of those things listed above when they were hired but at least the team had an identity under Rex. This team now is gutless and inconsistent. There is not one thing I can confidently say a Todd Bowles team does "well"

8. 101GangGreen101

Considering shit gets sour after the 3rd year with the previous regimes, I would say this is a breath of fresh air :( ... I guess no where else to go but UP

9. 101GangGreen101

Jets cannot go into next season with 4 freaking QBs, someone is getting cut or more embarrassing being put on the PS. That's more-so Hackenberg if anything. Petty will have started too many games.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

imagine Hackenberg being cut next camp.. A 2nd round pick out of a job having never taken an NFL snap. Wow.
    --

I think they will go into camp with 4 QBs, but not the season. I think they will draft a QB and sign some veteran JAG again, Case Keenum or Brian Hoyer, something like that. Then they will PRAY that one of the young QBs (petty,hack, the rookie) is good enough to start week 1 so they can cut the vet and not guarantee his salary. Worst case scenario the young QBs either suck or the HC is a pussay so they give the job to the vet and cut a guy like Hackenberg.

FJF likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

Sometimes you gotta know when to cut your loses. Jets cannot go into camp with 4 QBs, if they do then well it's clear and obvious they are as lost as ever.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think BN is spot on with how this will playout. There is nothing gained by making any decisions before the first cuts at next years camp.
    Hack and petty will be on field 2 for most of camp fighting for their roster spot. Maybe hack gets sent to ps if he loses.

13. 101GangGreen101

You don't think they can make this decision before training camp? If the Jets draft a QB, the Jets will need to allocate those resources to the new QB.

1 - Rook
    2 - McCown
    3 - Petty vs Hack in OTAs. Even so, the timelines are tight.

Say the Jets draft a Lamar Jackson, he can't sit on the bench and watch Hack and Petty waste the reps. He needs to be out there on the field working on his technique, footwork and such. He needs the work. Also, the Jets need to develop some "bread and butter" plays. Plays that you can confidently line up and execute to get some rhythm on offense. How can we do this with 4 on the roster?

14. FJF

Can they? Sure. Will they? In this league nothing happens till the deadlines. Maybe your right and they give them otas and that’s it. That’s actually a good time also . I can see Mac holding on as long as possible though.

15. ColoradoContrails

No I didn't say "he got no reps", but certainly whatever he got was very limited, and comparing him to two guys who HAVE started a significant number of games before being brought in is apples and oranges. I get it, you don't like Petty, and don't think he can be "the Answer". I'm not claiming he is, but he might well be better than you and others claim. The problem is that we just don't know, so why don't we find out? Oh, yeah, because "McCown gives us the best chance to win". What foresight!

Ralebird likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

I never thought he was good coming out of the draft, it was a wasted pick. I saw him play plenty in Baylor, and that's why I didn't crown Stidham until he started playing in Auburn. IMO CJ Beathard showed more promise then Petty. Beathard is a rookie on a bad 49ers team similar stats in the same # of games about. Petty is the most popular player on the team and that will change drastically after the next couple of weeks. Then it'll be Hackenberg. I've seen this story so many times.

We can agree to disagree, we'll get a new QB next year and none of this will matter.

17. ColoradoContrails

Assuming he's stays upright for the remaining games - a huge assumption with this OL! - let's make an assessment then.

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I still think Jets will bring back Bowles. But in case we go 0-3 rest of the way and pressure on Johnson family is high I think they will let Bowles go. In this case who would you want? The problem is there will be at least 5 and maybe more open jobs but not enough hot candidates.

Pat Shurmur?
    Todd Haley?
    Jim Schwartz?
    Frank Reich maybe?

Fire away.

boozer32 likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As long as he's an Offensive guy, I'm good with just about anybody. Doesn't even have to be a prior HC, just somebody that has a clue about Offense and how to develop talent.

#199 Cman68, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    boozer32, NYJetsO12, dogg and 7 others like this.
  20. FJF

Amy if those but Schwartz. He is a wade Phillips,Norv turner type.great coordinator bad hc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.