Thank God we didn't tank.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, Dec 10, 2017.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

We'll have a shot at a franchise QB in the draft if we want....theres not just one guy this year theres a handful

Jets players exceeded expectations not sure wtf you wanted them to do

2. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Usually I hate this strategy

But I think we trade whatever it takes for Rosen or Darnold and just say “we tried”, if it fails

3. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I like Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen maybe even a few others when I look into it

I also wouldnt mind Cousins....he's pretty good to me even though he'll cost a shitload

I just think we'll have options and also have extra picks

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I'll demonstrate how "enjoyable" this season has been. Do I even have an account here? Let's try to make a post. My first all year. Here we go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Wow I guess I do. Who gives a shit. See ya next year maybe or maybe not cuz fuck this team they can't even tank right. This is were washed up JAG QBs go to get one more season as a starter before they retire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Duh I am a STHer since 65 & I doubt U have any concept of NYJs history since 1965 excluding SB3. Actually I think U wrote this from your hospital bed in the mental ward. For homework why do you not post the NYJ record AFL & AFC teams from 1965 thru 2016 & see how many losses they have & how many wins they had during that period. If you come out with the NYJs being a over 500 team then U can not do math as well as think logically:mad:

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This tank is happening whether some people like it or not
    Petty vs Brees and NO in playoffs
    Petty vs Rivers and Chargers in it
    Petty vs GOAT

No more wins imo

63% success rate with QBs in round 1 historically
    Recent history: Wentz Goff Mariota Cam even Trubisky a winner

If Toilet and GM don’t get this done at Slot 5 or higher ...Champ Boozer and myself should be over with this crap

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

Might be because I'm from the UK but I've never got the idea of tanking. I accept that the higher up the draft you are the more choice you have, but look we could have drafted Watson last year. We could have drafted Prescott the year before that. No tank required. We could also have tanked and then taken a Paxton Lynch. You can have as many draft picks as you want, what's more important is having the right guys making the picks.

And if you really like a guy, you can trade up - which is exactly what the Eagles did for Wentz and the Rams did for Goff.

And no professional sportsman worth a jot would ever agree to a tank

9. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

That's part of the problem. Josh McCown should have never been signed.

10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The only way to make most Jets fans happy is to secure the #1 overall pick.

Just ignore the fact that the Jets suck at drafting, and suck worse at developing QBs. Most Jets fans don't care that the Jets #1 overall pick QB will almost certainly be massive bust--they simply relish draft day more than the relish Super Bowl Sunday.

The rest of us can just enjoy the fact that this year's Jets have over-performed, shown a lot of unexpected promise on offense, and demonstrated some great development out of many of the young players (which hasn't been something you could say about this franchise in a very long time).

rohirrim665, FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  11. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Those of you that wanted to tank, are you so sure that the Jets would even pick the right QB given the 1st overall pick?

Its the Jets people!

They would inevitably choose the Ryan Leaf of the bunch

abc likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I thought the only way to make most jet fans happy was to fire and cut everyone after every game.win or lose

13. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Anything can change (assumed wins don't materialize or Jets bust out another win) but if it holds to form I think they'll be in good shape to get one of the top 4 QB's.

My best guess is the Jets pick no worse than 9th in the draft and they could pick as high as 6th. I don't have strength of schedule info so I'm not sure where they rank vs. Cinn, Hou, and Chic.

Of those guaranteed to pick ahead of the Jets Indy, SF and TB may not pick a QB. Clev may if they don't believe in Kizer, no idea what Giants do. Assuming the Giants and Clev do and Indy, SF and TB don't then 2 QB's are gone in first 5 picks. Neither Hou nor Chic should be in the market for a QB, while Cinn may pick one. So "if" the Jets wind up worst case with the 9th pick they still should be able to grab a QB without moving up. If they pick 6th they definitely will get their QB without moving up.

If there are trades and other teams move up to grab a QB what can Jets do to move up? If you assume worst case of 9th slot their 1st and 2nd round picks are valued at 1,840pts (1350+490). That equals the 4th pick in the draft so if they package their 1st 2 picks with the Sheldon round 2 pick as a sweetener they should be able to move up to around the 4th spot. If they pick higher they're in a better position.

AFC -
    Clev and Indy will pick ahead of Jets.
    Cinn and Hou (beats Indy in week 17) will finish tied with Jets with 5 wins.

I think Denver wins 1 more so Jets jump them.

NFC -

Giants, SF and TB pick ahead of jets.
    Chic beats Clev to tie Jets with 5 wins.
    Wash will win at least 1 more game so Jets jump them.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Indy's the wildcard in that scenario...... is Luck in play?

15. NYJetsO12

This tank is happening whether some people like it or not
    Petty vs Brees and NO in playoffs
    Petty vs Rivers and Chargers in it
    Petty vs GOAT

No more wins imo

63% success rate with QBs in round 1 historically
    Recent history: Wentz Goff Mariota Cam even Trubisky a winner

If Toilet and GM don’t get this done at Slot 5 or higher ...Champ Boozer and myself should be over with this crap
    Excellent Post! Lose out and we might win out! This is where the old thread “mortgage the future “ comes into play..like I’ve posted previously Phil used 5 1st rounders to get Wentz!..I expect nothing short of the same type of effort from MM or it’s over for me as a Fan and pity those who choose to chase the ny jet tails lol

16. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Of course not; the team is historically (and likely currently) run by morons. However, just because the team might not make a good decision if they have their choice of any player in the draft, does not mean we shouldn't want the team to have their choice of any player in the draft. No matter how dumb (or smart) the Jets front office is, they are more likely to select the best QB in the draft if they have the opportunity to draft any of the QBs in the draft.

17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I'm one of the few like you that actually watched the last Jets SB win. The ranks are growing thin and its LONG over due. Mac better have the staff to pick the right franchise QB. I just don't want that last SB win to turn into the Göbekli Tepe historical event. Fascinating how long ago it was but depressing that it's been that long.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. maybe the term “Fan tanking” sums it up. I really don’t think anyone of us truly expect players,coaches etc not to try.

What we want is some realism toward the situation.What that means is playing young players even at the expense of winning once games/season is out of grasp. In most cases this gets a jump start on player development & hopefully lands a premium pick to get an impact player..in our case a QB!

Where there’s conflict is after the team wins a meaningless game in december.There are always fans that wanna take in the win since they’re few & far between which maybe jump starts momentum to next season vs. This win proved nothing & we just moved down ___ in the draft! Never fails.

After awhile though you get sick of hearing the argument bc it seems to happen every year which means that maybe that draft position was more important than so many thought

19. NYJetsO12

Yep...almost like a Spiritual event for me bro

St. Paul was the last Apostle to see Jesus and from that point he endured some terrible hardships

Likewise Namath was our Saviour who delivered a SB..we both saw it happen and decades of suffering ensued for us..yes, quite depressing and frustrating

Will his FO get it right?...hmmm sometimes I think Lazarus had a better chance of getting resurrected than the Jets(sigh)

20. NYJetsO12

No not publicly of course not

But go through several Seasons of 7-9 9-7 or some middle of the road record where you are so far behind other teams with losses you can't even negotiate a decent move and watch how quickly your philosophy changes. When you are on the road to nowhere you realize taking more Ls is actually a big help