John Morton wants Josh McCown back in 2018, but is that best for Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Our young quarterbacks didn't have to be better than McCown right now; they needed to have the potential to be better down the road, but I don't think anyone in the organization believes that either of them does.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yes I have. High interception rate and stiff as a board. Hack has a slightly stronger arm and Throson can't throw the out route. His passes will have CB taking it to the house.

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

That's exactly how the Cowboys we're thinking with Dak. They had no plans for him to see the field year one and maybe longer. Injuries to Romo and Kellen Moore forced them to play Prescott. In fact, he was their choice in the draft. They tried to trade up for Paxton Lynch , they also tried to trade up to take Cook who the Raiders move up ,one spot ahead of Dallas to grab.

4. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

This is provably wrong because there is no road for McCown. He's going to be 39 years old - the road has ended for him - period. There is no chance McCown is our QB of the future - its 100% not him. Even of there is a .01% chance that Petty or Hack are the future - or even a smaller chance - that's still a better chance then McCown. A small chance is always better than no chance. Bringing back McCown or some other old clown is a guaranteed recipe for failure. Better to roll the dice an extremely slim shot than kneel down at midfield with time on the clock as Toilet Bowles likes to do.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they got lucky as hell. they might not even be geniuses anyway, Dak has been coming back to earth hard down the stretch this year. It could be a sophomore slump or he could just not be as good as he looked last year

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

My point was that they are not geniuses. He was their 3 rd choice and had they been successful in trading up for either of their first choices , they would have missed. There is alot of luck involved in the draft. You never know how a 20 something year old kid will transition to the league. Especially when they go from near poverty to riches. I bet I could dig up a thousand post on here how Mac should be fired for passing on Dak.....
    As for Dak, I think it's a combination of things. Changes to the O line , loss of Zeke , sophomore slump.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Draft is really our best option
    Especially this one with some blue chip material in Darnold Rosen Mayfield
    I look at some posts and just wonder how people split hairs for ex on Darnold “ he needs a year to sit” complete BS
    Goff isn’t sitting Wentz didn’t Mariota Winston .,todays kids are more NFL ready unless you start thinking 80s and wait and wait to play them like Toilet Anal man...,
    Bowles and his philosophy have to go

8. TonyFtLaud

There is no way Darnold is ready to start day 1. He has never gone through progressions, if his first look is covered, he takes off running. Not going to work in the NFL. Then there is the issue of his footwork and throwing motion. He is not ready to enter the league and would be much better off returning to school. For every one you mentioned who started right away and showed some success, there are a dozen who failed.

NYJetsO12, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

True that Tony if that is the case..but after 49 years of sh@t you get a little ancy
    So sign this beast or Rosen and worry bout foot later lol

#89 NYJetsO12, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  10. TonyFtLaud

I know how you feel. But trading up for a QB who isn't ready to play , when you have no viable QB ahead of him does nothing for the future. Darnold , if he comes out needs to go somewhere like the Giants if they keep Manning, the chargers with Rivers,of the Steelers with Ben. Some team with a quality vet nearing the end of their career.
    The stat no one is putting up when they talk numbers for Darnold is 24 TDs to 19 turnovers. Put that play on an NFL field and the TDs drop by half and the turnover likely double. Let him develop, teach him how to actually read a defense, go through progressions and to stay in the pocket and he has the potential to be a great QB.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

Hey Tony stop having those Sex on the Beaches for breakfast ahahah..... jus kidding....so take a pass on DArnold ok...

But No more buying FA QBs as our sole resource for Offense...please

Look ...we go nowhere without a young kid in the wings...don't forget Sam is not the only QB we need to suck for...I think Rosen is ready maybe even Mayfield ..BUT {speaks in his loudest Mad Russo imitation} MY GOODNEES GRACIOUS SIGN AKID FOR THE FUTURE! YES THERE IS NO PERFECTION WITH EACH KID DRAFTED BUT THIS IS BEST CLASS IN A LONG TIME
    So plus a 100 to getting JOshy a biotic hand and sign him up BUT ONLY to do some tutoring for a kid that's drafted

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

Strictly Mojitos for breakfast.....
    I dont say pass on Darnold, but he will need time and Coaching. Do we have the staff and patience for that? And do we really want to trade a ton of pics for a project? I think Rosen can play right away but I don't see any scenario where he is available for us. The Browns are going to use the first pick on a QB. Not anyone of the now big 3. Rosen will go to the Giants with the second pick. Darnold if he comes out is there for the taking at 3. The 49s will deal the pick and will get alot of picks. The Bills have much more draft capital then we do and will likely move up for him. They can give 2 first this year a second and third and still have a full compliment of draft picks. We can't compete with that. Our equivalent would be like our 1, 2 and 3 this year, next year's 1 and 2 and 2019s 1 and that might not be enough.
    I think we will lose out, likely pick 7th, maybe we get some help with a couple Houston wins and move to 6. There will be QB talent there and some QB needy teams will grab the FAs eliminating them from the competition.
    Even Denver may go with Chad Kelly who reportedly looked impressive in camp.
    People are still looking at last year's early projections which have changed drastically and will change even more before the draft. It happens every year. Look at past Consensus #1s. Geno , Hack, Brad Kaaya. We should start a who gets arrested first , pops a piss test thread. It's going to happen. Likely starting during the bowl games....

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

Good points ..but I still pray for a miracle can't I??!

We need to lose out...at least we control that

I keep thinking about the "KC victory" and how sickening it was to watch...draft order setback big time feh and feh

As someone aptly posted "the Jets only win when it to their detriment"

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

How can you question their patience for sitting a qb after they sat hack all of last year,even when they could have easily broke away from the mandate with the injuries at that position?

15. TonyFtLaud

I don't think it will take much prayer to lose out !!!

16. TonyFtLaud

I wasn't questioning the organizations patience, I was questioning ours, the fan base....

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And I say this with the acknowledgment that I am a part of the fan base,
    Fuck the fan base. They need not worry about that crazy group.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

I could not agree with you more !!!

FJF likes this.
  19. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Dear John, never ever, say aloud anything you want to be true, if you ever want it.

Sincerely,
    The Universe

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

20. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I wasn't suggesting bringing McCown back for next season. I was explaining our coach's rationale for sticking with him for so long this season. They apparently have no confidence in Petty or Hack. As for next year, there may not be a single QB on our current roster who is on the team next season.