2018 FAs: Even With a Ton of Cap Space, Can the Jets Really Do Much Fix the Roster?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 22, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Overall I like this plan but I think the o-line has to be addressed with premium picks. Aside from addressing the o-line through free agency, which I think is an absolute must, we also have to use some high picks on the position. I would think that if we do somehow land Cousins in free agency, we could use our first round pick and either trade back or go ahead and pick up one of the more coveted o-linemen (Mike McGlinchey, Orlando Brown)

There are plenty of other o-linemen than can go late round one, early round two which we can do also since we have 2 second rounders.

We have a lot of holes to fill on this team at marque positions (Edge, Corner, O-line, QB). We have to make sure we plug these holes this offseason because we have the draft capital to do so and also the cap space.

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

The difficult part for me is which positions to prioritize. Well, outside of Center, which is number one. Need a legitimate starter there (maybe FA Ryan Jensen from Baltimore or Weston Richburg from the Giants?) Is Brandon Shell the guy at RT? My thought is probably. I'd like to see him take another big step in 2018 as a young OL the team has invested in. Beachum has been decent and is still 28/29. Do we replace him? The guards were supposed to be a strength and are signed to sizeable contracts, but they might be having down years. Do we replace Carpenter or Winters? It's tricky IMO. That's why I want more young prospects at LT and OG in the mid to later rounds, but I do see yours and others' points that more needs to be done for the OL. If they sign Cousins, then a higher pick for the OL is even easier.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Some of the guys we have on OL may be good enough to start elsewhere but when drafting offensive line we should find the best players we can get instead of trying to fill what we think our the holes. It is amazing how a couple pro bowlers anywhere along the OL can make everyone else look better than they are. With all of the injuries it can't hurt to have depth either.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus 10000

Play any quality team and McGown, Petty FQB is breaking more than their hand..smh

I put a lot of energy into crying how we need a young QB but you guys hit the nail on the head ....we have no future w/o a line of those big uglies heheh

Will Mac and Toilet choose the right people??? Big kudos to this Board ..I work 11 hour days usually and can never research who's out there like you all can! SMH a couple of guys On the GG sitting around in their bathrobes with a cup of coffee get it better than our not so illustrious FO

Ahahahahahahahahaha

5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Winters was just signed to an extension and he won't be cut. It would be 7 mil in dead money. On the other hand, Carpenter getting cut would result in cap savings....I still like Carpenter but I don't think he's been as dominant as years past.

I think our o-line as it currently stands is mediocre and has been abused by teams with good d-lines. We have to address that because if we draft a QB or sign cousins, having a good o-line will be huge for the success of whoever is under center.