Bowles punted down 23-0...twice...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Dec 10, 2017.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he didn't but he ordered him to continue trotting out there taking snaps while playing like crap

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

That's a part of it but his problems far surpass just clock issues. We don't travel well as a team, he has terrible in game situational awareness. Decided to punt twice down 23 just as the thread is titled. His idea of "player discipline" is soft and you have to wonder why a first time offender (Darron Lee) was benched an entire game versus a repeat offender (Wilkerson).

Leonard Williams is no longer effective on the d-line and wilkerson isn't either. I don't know if this is all on bowles but he is the defensive guru so what's going on there?

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

according to PFF williams is having a great season. the sacks just aren't there. as a whole sacks are harder to get now in the NFL as many QBs are getting rid of the ball in a few seconds. unless there is amazing coverage on the back end or a miscommunication on the o-line, sacks just aren't happening too often. QBs have OCs have gotten better at negating rushes. Williams is getting solid pressure but it usually means an incompletion now.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head--people are singing Bowles' praises when he won a whole 5 games this year. This team has gotten so bad under him that anything better than a winless season sounds like he accomplished something.

5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He's getting pressures which is good, but I want to see sacks. I know that there are a million different reasons for lack of sacks, could be poor d-line = less opening for l. williams to produce, double teams, etc.

Wilkerson is dog shit and has been for awhile.

I'm frustrated because I think we have talent on this team but we look awful way too often for this to be ok.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

wilkerson just looks fat and slow out there. but williams has looked great even if the sack numbers aren't there. there is more to playing d-line then just pure sacks

Edit: PFF ratings

PFF
    Overall 83.7
    #30 DI
    above average

Wilkerson
    Overall 80.3
    #44 DI
    Above average

So maybe wilk isn't as bad as we think he's just not the force we were used to. and his late to meetings isn't helping his cause

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No doubt he wasnt. BUT why not pull his ass out? Who put him back in the game when he was hurt and totally ineffective? You and me?
    Who squandered 3 time outs? Who calls the freaking plays? The most conservative play not to loose game plan ever.
    IMO. Any and all credibility for not playing Petty goes right out the window.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I am going to play Devil's advocate here. Yeah we can bitch about Bowles punting twice all we want, but here is the matter of the situation.

4th & 3, Petty missed an open Kearse. That was all Bowles / CS needed to see to know that hey, we aren't going to move the ball. Better off just running the clock and turning this into an all time embarrassment.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

All those who support Bowles and want him back, are you REALLY ignoring that this HC QUIT on his team? I assume most of you have played sports, and probably a lot of you played in very competitive situations, so it boggles my mind that you would accept ANYONE on your team let long the coach, to give up no matter what the scoreboard/clock says! Is it really any coincidence that with four games to go the Jets are quitting?

tomdeb likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

If my QB couldn't complete a 3 yard pass on a critical down, I would probably just give up all together and make a business decision not to get hurt. I mean we can talk about everything before, but Petty missing that pass killed any gameplan the CS or any momentum the players had. It was like they knew they weren't getting the ball.

Back to Bowles ...

This team has to play better on a more consistent basis, you shouldn't beat KC and then get shutout by DEN next week. Gotta game-plan better, he needs to better prepare coming off a W, if he can't fix that going into next year he shouldn't have a job, but no way am I firing him right now.

truthbtold likes this.
  11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He should have been fired last night. The team has totally given up and there is no other answer to losing to a 3-9 team and putting up the worst offensive totals in franchise history..and those were also the numbers before mccown got hurt too before you try to blame it on Petty.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

I mentioned that the CS needed to better prepare. And you can keep the knee jerk reactions, no one is getting fired.

13. ColoradoContrails

Really? You would make a decision like based upon one play, hell even one series, or even one quarter???? Talk about "kneejerk reactions"! Where was that line of thinking when McCown shit the bed more than a few times this season? By now I completely accept that Bowles has a vendetta against Petty, but I can't understand how Macc (and the J&J brothers) are letting that continue.

14. 101GangGreen101

I don't think Bowles has a vendetta against Petty, Petty just isn't that good. You have to wonder if this is something they've seen in practice.

I've been talking about McCown screwing up games for a while now. In the 4th QTR of games. Gotta find a QB worth a damn. Again, this shouldn't be about Mac vs Bowles, this is something that just doesn't exist and is some form of conspiracy theory created by Jet fans.

FJF likes this.
  15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

This team was picked to go 0-16 by some before the season started.

The home crowd has been amazing this year this team has fed off the crowd at home which has helped them to play way above their talent level compete with and even beat some teams far better than they are.

On the road where they don't have the crowd in their favor the lack of talent & Josh McCown at QB rears it's ugly head which is why they haven't been a good road team at all this season which is why they've lost to/been dominated by two dog**** teams in Tampa Bay & Denver in their last two road games.

Could Bowles have gone for it with a minute left and three timeouts at the end of the first half? Sure but anyone who watched the game KNOWS that Josh McCown and the rest of the Jets offense wasn't gonna do jack against that Denver D yesterday.

They'll give the Chargers all they can handle in their final home game of the season I'm hoping they can steal one of these last two road games to get to 7-9 on the season which (with the roster he was given to work with this season) would be a incredible accomplishment by Todd Bowles and one of the best coaching jobs I;ve ever seen.

16. ColoradoContrails

Yes, I understand that Petty may not be good, but frankly I seriously question Bowles's judgment on this. How can ANYONE be good if they're not given an honest opportunity to prove it? And Bowles has NOT provided Petty that opportunity for whatever reason. Maybe he decided way back when that Petty just isn't any good, but did he let Macc in on that secret? 'Cause Macc went and passed on two damn good prospects this past draft that could've made a difference.

Wherever the fault lies this team has a serious problem. I believe that ultimately that lies with the shitty ownership, but wherever it is, it needs to be fixed. Sadly, I don't think it will be in my lifetime.

17. 101GangGreen101

I believe Petty had a shot to prove it, and didn't show anything. He looks like the exact same QB as last year. At the end of the day, I think you are misdirecting your energy towards Bowles. Is it Bowles fault that a bad QB is still bad and hasn't developed?

Mac at the end of the day is responsible for turning the card in. Maybe Bowles liked him at one point, but soured on him we won't know. The only serious problem this team has is the lack of talent and immaturity. For that, we must see if we can gather more talent and if the in-house talent can mature.

It will never get fixed in your lifetime if they keep firing people, hoping Tom Landry walks through the door.

18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

It's nonsense to me to hear that Petty is a poor QB based on what he's shown from the Denver game. I'm not going to place any negativity on this because to simply expect a player who has not practiced and taking little to no snaps with the first team for so long, is expected to come in and perform like a seasoned vet. That's just inane. Just goes to show you how dumb fans find ways to look at the glass half empty.

A smart and informative fan should look at these up coming challenges Petty will be facing to gauge his progress. Starting in NO.

truthbtold and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

Well it's clear you and I have a different definition of "fair". Petty's "chance" consisted of being put in at this same point last year after the entire team had quit, and with almost no practice with the first team. How you can say that's fair is a mystery. And now he's being given the same "chance". I can't wait for the "I told you so's" to flow forth from you and the other Petty haters, with this latest "proof" that he's no good.

And to answer your question - Yes! It damn sure IS Bowles's fault for the lack of development of players on his team! He's the HC and the buck stops there. If he doesn't like that he can quit and become a DC again (if anyone will take him based upon how shitty his "D" here is despite the massive investment in it).

And no, the only "serious problem" isn't the lack of talent and immaturity, those can be fixed, but a HC who doesn't seem to be able to learn from his mistakes IS a serious problem.

Finally, I'm not only blaming Bowles, I hold Macc accountable too. I would be fine if they were both fired at the end of the season because I think Macc has had some major misses and I don't trust him to be the guy to fix this franchise. But, he has shown some positives, and I would be okay if he's given at least through the draft to show if he "gets it".

If you have another couple of decades to wait for the Jets to become winners, fine, but I don't.

BomberJet likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

Hey, the guy just ain't good. The nfl ain't fair, this league stands for not for long for a reason and if you get the shot, you have to take advantage. Petty couldn't even complete a simple 3 yard pass on a critical down. Do you need 100 reps to display that ability?

Petty is bad, Hack is bad ... I'm not blaming Bowles for not being able to develop bad qbs. I have my issues with Bowles and Mac, but it isn't that.

westiedog1 and FJF like this.