If Jets finish season with 4 consecutive losses

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Dec 11, 2017.

1. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

And all of those losses are by 3 touchdowns or more, should the Jets clean house and fire Todd Bowles?

Broncos 23 Jets 0
    Saints 34 Jets 9
    Chargers 31 Jets 10
    Patriots 38 Jets 12

In my opinion the Jets would be better off firing Bowles. Bringing back a lame duck Todd Bowles on the last year of his contract just doesn't have good optics for this franchise. The Jets need a fiery coach to pull them out of the tailspin they're in. To be honest, I would take it a step further and fire Mike Maccagnan as well. Mac has whiffed horribly on the most important position on the team, which is quarterback. He's also failed to address the offensive line for 3 straight years. Jets continue to draft defense with thier day one picks and it is not even above average. The Jets defense fails to get consistent pressure on the opposing quarterback. On the road since 2015 the Jets are 7-14. They're MOV: The average margin of victory (negative in losses) is -8.0 points. Only the 49ers (-12) and Brown (-12.2) are worse than the Jets.

Hire the GM first, then let him hire the coach. Do not consult Charley Casserly. Jets will likely finish 5-11 and could end up with the 5th overall pick. I hate to see us start over again, but Mac and Bowles are not getting it done. They both need to hit the BRICKS.

2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I agree with the general sentiment of your post, I just don't know if Chris Johnson and Woody will have the balls to get rid of both. I think that in general both Macc and Bowles have not done enough to warrant any extensions and I can, just as you have, make the argument that both should be relieved of their jobs if we go out losing in blowout fashion. We have massive holes to fill at QB, O-line, Corner, Edge rusher, and I don't know if these things will be addressed in one offseason but you can make a valid argument that neither Macc or Bowles deserve to be given the opportunity to attempt yet another rebuild job.

The core of the team is nice and we have a few young studs but Leonard Williams has essentially disappeared this season and Mo Wilkerson has been invisible since he got signed to that big extension.

Are we going to re-sign McCown for 10+ mil, cause that would totally be something Macc would do (see Fitz debacle).

I'm not high on this regime because ultimately I want to see this team in the playoffs and we haven't gone at all in their 3 seasons at the helm.

3. playtowinthegame

Dilly dilly!!! I'm starvin' for the Jets to make the Playoffs. Off with both thier heads. Lol

[​IMG]

boozer32 and grkmanga31 like this.
  4. grkmanga31

My favorite to replace Maccagnan, John Dorsey, took the Browns job so at this point I don't even know who I'd want to be running the show. Either ways, I'm over this HC and GM reporting to the owner. It's dysfunctional to me. It should be the GM hiring the HC not both being independent on each other.

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Your scenario is consistent with the justified "stalled progress" scenario Chris Johnson offered up.

If it goes down in this manner, so will Bowles.

6. playtowinthegame

Agreed, we need to raid the Pats front office, then grab thier offensive coordinator, Josh McDaniels.

NYJetsO12 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  7. grkmanga31

I'd be shocked if McDaniels came to the jets. Doesn't strike me as a Mangini type that would go to the rival team

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Bowles lost me with over a minute left in the 1st half and not using any timeouts.
    Adios Todd.......

9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Without McNown at qb we will lose by 30. My bigger question is to look at the season as a whole. At 5 and 11 did we overachieve? My answer would be yes. My next question is what do we do with Bowles? My answer I don't know. He deserves another year. Does he get an extension? I don't know. The plays well at home but awful on the road. That falls on the coach. I don't know the answers but many will be answered the next few weeks and what we do in free agency.

FJF likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd keep Bowles and fire Maccagnan.

Fitz and McCown have me wondering what Bowles would do if he ever had a real QB to play with. Two obvious JAG vets have great career years in their first year with Bowles and the team is tight with a few oddball exceptions (Marshall and Richardson in 2015).

Petty and Hackenberg have given no signs of being good at this point and that's on Mac not Bowles.

Jets69 likes this.
  11. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I don't see it going down any way other than the scenario above. McCown's decent covered for Macc and Bowles but now Petty and Hackenshit will show just how bad their decisions have been.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Trying not to be to (over) reactive to one game but that was a tough one. Shows a worrisome trend of coming out flat after a big win, road record isn’t good and the offense was too conservative and has been more often then not.
    This game has moved me from thinking Bowles should be back to indifferent to the situation. I hope he lets the kid qbs play and not tie them down with too conservative a game plan

stinkyB likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'm a little different. I went from "He must be fired" before the Chiefs game to "Hey, maybe I was wrong and the team is responding to Bowles finally" after the Chiefs game to "No, I was right. He is pathetic and must be fired" after the Broncos game.

14. playtowinthegame

That pretty much sums up being a Jets fan. :mad:

15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

You cant build a winning team constantly changing pieces. You give a guy time, if after 5 seasons you see no change, then you move on.

We grossly over achieved this season. I dont know why so many of you are over reacting. We need to lose games to get a better qb, which is one of the biggest pieces holding us back.

Even if we draft one, some of you will want him cut if he isnt a pro bowler in his first season. Things take time. The NFL product is much more watered-down down than people think. These players and coaches are not as prepared as many people think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jetphan73 likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think we have one more win left in us. Several weeks ago, back when everyone was talking playoffs, I said we were going 6-10. The win will come at some random time, and give the Bowlsuckers one last hurrah. That still leaves 2 weeks for the Bowlbusters to have their say.

17. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Bringing back both TB and MM would be a big mistake. The team still needs a couple of tank years left to build the roster. Bowles and Mac will compromise the future of the franchise to save their jobs.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

bowles isn't going anywhere. remember we are in full rebuild. we were suppsoed to win 2 games max, we've won 5 already. by any count this season is a success. we have over 100mil to spend in the offseason. all out picks plus and extra second (BTW richardson has sucked for seattle and got ejected yesterday) we as fans need to be patient that the jets are finally doing things the right way to build a team and not the half ass effort we've seen over the past 20 years where it's half rebuild and half leaning the future to get some wins. we can still land a FQB in the draft or via a trade/FA acquisition. no reason to clean house again.

zace likes this.
  19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Do you think its gonna be any different with another coach? Why do you think guys like McCown and fitzpatrick keep getting jobs?

I definitely agree with the sentiment that guys make decisions to save jobs, but i think of you bring in an unproven coach like coordinator with no success coaching, this is what you get. A guy taking a middling qb trying to look impressive with wins playing over the hill vets because they know what they are, rather than take a chance.

Its not just the jets, theres a talent development problem in the NFL period. Look at our co tenants.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Even if the above scenario plays out I don't think either one is gone at season's end. This team has vastly exceeded expectations at this point with a stripped down roster. The early returns are that younger players have performed well under Bowles, giving credence to the picks that mac has made are quality. Bowles will be given a 2 year extension to go with the one year left on his current deal...