Road woes- why?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

imho

It’s because their leader, their warrior, their boss, their coach is flat, quiet, boring, not creative and bad at game planning and game management with no fire or risk taking..,,,

At home you can feed off the crowd, and you can impose your will with emotion and spirit. Kind of why I like football.

On the road you don’t have the crowd so you need more precision, intelligence and motivation from your coaches, especially the head coach.

Bowles is an utter and complete failure.

Please fire him.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  2. No I don’t blame this on Bowles really.The team has not played good on the road even remotely consistently for a very long time.

Perhaps Critcism can be placed on TB for not being part of the solution.I also think it’s fair to say that his quiet stoic demeanor can be detrimentel at times.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe if your team is a contender and plays everyone tough, winning most games, your HC can be "stoic" and not animated. Or maybe if you have a player or two on each side of the ball who is loud and fiery, then maybe your HC can; be "stoic". But the Jets have neither. They seem to have to taken on Bowles's personality, and that's not a good thing. You can almost sense the meekness when they're the visiting team.

I really hope this was the final straw for this "straw man" of a coach.

4. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

If the Jets look this bad in Nawlins, then Bowles better stay down dere an take up shrimpin'. :mad::mad:

Boomboom and matt robinson 17 like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

These are our records under Bowles.

2017: Home: 4-3, Road: 1-5, Total: 5-8
    2016: Home: 2-6, Road: 3-5, Total: 5-11
    2015: Home: 6-2, Road: 4-4, Total: 10-6
    Overall: Home: 12-11 (52.2%), Road: 8-14 (36.4%), Total: 20-25 (44.4%)

On average, home teams win 57% of the time, and road teams win 43% of the time. So we're 5.6% below average in general, 4.8% below average at home and 6.6% below average on the road.

So we are a worse road than home team relative to league average, but the difference is small and not worthy of yet another thread.

Ptflea2 likes this.
  6. Longsuffering88

2015 our schedule was easy so that doesn’t count

Gotta look beyond the numbers, Todd

7. HomeoftheJets

Ok I'll take 2015 out. Then we're 6-9 (40%) at home and 4-10 (28.6%) on the road. Which means we're 17% below average at home and 14.4% below average on the road. So should I start a thread about how bad we are at home? No because NFL teams are better at home than on the road even when their coach isn't Bowles.

8. ColoradoContrails

That's an interesting statistic, but it only shows the average, in other words, if you aspire to be AVERAGE, then the Jets aren't too far off. Of course, average performance never wins championships, so I guess it's no surprise they Jets haven't won one for so long.

What do you suppose the numbers are for the Patriots? Funny you should ask:

Team Overall Overal WIN % Home Home Away Away Home WIN% -
    Games
    WIN Game WIN % Game WIN% Away WIN %
    Wins
    Wins

Patriots 160 123 0.7688 67 0.8375 56 0.7000 0.1375

(Taken from: https://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nfl/home-field-advantage-broken-down-by-nfl-team.aspx)

It's no surprise either that the Pats have won all those SBs. I think that's the mark we ought to shoot for.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

Winning 77% of games? Sure we should shoot for that. But that has nothing to do with this thread. The OP is making up a false narrative about how we're especially bad on the road and using it as a front to bash Bowles. Even the Pats have a worse road than home record.

10. Longsuffering88

you’re not taking into account how many points we lost by vs league average, and how bad of an effort we gave on the road

We suck- and Todd is one reason - a big one

11. HomeoftheJets

Then look up our home/road point differentials and compare them to league average. You make the claims, you provide the evidence.

12. ColoradoContrails

Well we ARE especially bad on the road.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Bad teams lose on the road in the NFL and we're a bad team

Bowles isn't good but not sure many coaches out there would have this squad lighting up teams in their building

14. Longsuffering88

Good post. I should do that.

No argument.

15. ColoradoContrails

You don't see a difference between what they did today and "lighting teams up"? No one expects them to "light teams up", but they should at least be competitive. They're not.

16. King Koopa

They've been competetive in every game this season until today....Denver came to play at home and we didn't show up, shit happens in the NFL like this a lot to young and less talented teams

Like I said before, Bowles isn't good but this team was never going to win much...especially on the road

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

So, are you saying you think Bowles should continue as the HC? If so, then why do you say he isn't good? If not, then on what basis? Or are you taking the "middle road" and saying that since the team "was never going to win much", Bowles shouldn't be judged at all?

18. King Koopa

I personally dont want him to stay as head coach but I get it if he is and would expect him to stay.....He hasn't done a bad job this season overall but I just dont like his style and dont believe he will ever be a top notch coach, so why bother?

I've pretty much come to terms with Bowles for atleast another year....just cant see the Jets firing him unless we completely implode (another 3 weeks of today's garbage)

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

Well I too have all but accepted that he'll be retained and it sickens me. Sure, MAYBE in 3, 4, or 5 years he'll become a Tom Landry or Bill Bellichick, but for every one of those guys there are dozens who failed despite multiple chances. What are the realistic odds he becomes a great coach? Speaking for myself, I don't have 5 years to wait for him to "get it". Maybe others here do. I won't. The problems he had Year 1 with game management are still evident. Don't we long-suffering Jets fans deserve someone who shows some urgency?

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yesterday U can use the excuse that the thin air they were breathing yesterday in Denver did them in. In NOLA it will the heavy damp air that will do them in :mad:

Centiment likes this.