Todd Bowles declares McCown starter for rest of the year.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 6, 2017.

1. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Easy call. They will draft a QB and have him learn behind McCown. They don't think the future QB is on the roster. Big cap space and a good draft will set them up for the future. No brainer.

Walt White and FJF like this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

While I agree with you, the truth is that Macc tried drafting what he thought was a good selection when he drafted Hack, he took a chance and it didn't work out.

His mistake last year was not taking another young QB, he should have gone into the draft with the mindset that he was going to keep Petty and Hack and draft another young QB to bring into the fold but instead he went the veteran route.

That's the double edge sword the jets keep cutting themselves on, if he doesn't draft any of the potentially good young QBs in this draft, even if it's Jackson or Falk after the other guys are drafted he needs to be fired.

It would be unacceptable for him to allow other teams behind him to draft those guys because they are happy with Mcown.

#142 Red Menace, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  3. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

You want players to compliment the young QB after he has been drafted? This makes no sense at all. You want to draft a supposed FQB first and then start filling in the roster around him? No team does that. Brady, the best passer in the game, with maybe the exception Rodgers, wasn't developed that way, neither was Rodgers. Goff, nor Wentz have been treated that way. Peyton Manning maybe your only example, as the Colts were totally rebuilding. Rothlisberger wasn't, drew Brees wasn't. Montana wasn't, Marino wasn't. Young QB's always fair better when they are drafted by a team that already has the biggest majority of players there, experienced, and ready. New QB's cannot function at all without experience already in place.

Consistent playoff contenders, and in today's game there aren't many, have elite teams! Not just QB's. Franchise QB's are like lightening strikes, because there is way more to it than selecting a top QB in the draft. What you want is a fairy tale, or to continually search for a unicorn. Your approach to team building hasn't been done before, unless we are talking fantasy football.

To say McCown isn't elevating his teammates is totally wrong. You realize he is playing with 2nd tier and unknown skill players. Right?
    Or do you see it as the skill players are elevating him? He has one of the worst lines in football, which makes his play that much more considerable. Worst part is I'm one of the first ones on this board to call him McClown. Boy was I wrong about him. Imagine the year we would have had if he had protection and top tier skill players.

So how will we know when we have drafted this FQB after so many attempts? Who is gonna say, "we got him, it's time to start drafting linemen, backs, and pass catchers."
    Sorry man, it won't ever work that way.ÿ Maybe it would if you talked the owner into tanking a couple decades.
    Each season is an opportunity to get in the playoffs. Once you get in, you have a shot at winning the Super Bowl. QB play is a big part of these opportunities, but equally so is linemen and the skill players around said QB.

I understand your attitude toward this team. Believe me I've been a Jet fan since the 70's. I've seen our QB's tear down great opportunities for super bowl appearances. I totally despised the Mark Sanchez pick.
    I knew he wasn't the franchise QB very early in his career. It was easy to see once he started playing. Too bad it was too late. His drafting set the team back. I would have gladly taken a McCown that year, and the next, and the next until he decided to retire. Instead we have had Geno after Nacho, who didn't work out, Fitz who was surrounded by talent and had a decent line but couldn't get us anywhere. McCown is in a different position than Fitz and it isn't even close. Hackenberg sure isn't the answer. What a wasted pick.
    Wasting picks will never get our team where we want them to be.

4. I understand the stars don't completely align wherein you take your QB & suddenly pounce on a surrounding cast. But it is the optimal scenario. These things are always free flowing & ever changing. But ideally you want to draft your QB and then surround him w. talent that fits what the QB does best...including up front.

I disagree that a surrounding casts weren't built around ,Brees, Roethlisberger or Brady. And I'll breakdown each..

Brees(In N.O.)- The team identified that in order for Brees to be at his best he needs an OL that allows him to scan the whole field in spite of his height & also space to step up into the pocket. They determined the best way to accomplish this is by prioritizing interior linemen quick out of their stance, heavy hands & the ability to anchor a DL's initial surge. The result was drafting the likes of Jahri Evans & Lecharles Bentley. While NO also had great boundary weapons around him that fit the scheme..it was the addition of the right kind of OL that lead to his ascension

Roethlisberger- It was identified by year 3 that Roethlisberger was not going to fit the conventional drop back scheme he was initially introduced to. He needed a scheme that optimized his ability to to keep plays alive w. his feet,attempt to make throws downfield & a safety valve over the middle if teams play face up cover 2. Heath Miller was the safety valve d, they brought in multiple downfield catching radius types so he could throw to an area on the run, & an OL that fit the prototype they already had in place but also had good blocking lane integrity,gae a clean pocket but also stay on their feet & block as long as they can when Ben needs to improvise.

Brady- They didn't really do much differently in terms of OL...b.c their OL infrastructure is very specific to begin with. But over time they added multiple Short area WR's that fit the quick passing attack that is Brady's bread & butter. They drafted several 1st round TE's to attack the seams & brought in the likes of Moss & Cooks to prevent teams from fixating on the short passing game.

Mccown does not excite me even slightly. His age & injury history make it near impossible to build around him...and for all the adulation he's getting from the team..we're still 5-7 & he still makes devastating mistakes in big spots.

If someone doesn't project as a FQB they shouldn't be taken in the 1st round. We agree totally there. But that doesn't mean never taking a QB if they aren't a perfect prospect. Those guys really are like lightning strikes. There is always a projection that goes along w. taking a QB..just the way it is. Yes. It used to be you could wait till a later round to find your guy if they weren't a day one starter. Things have changed.

Short of a miracle ,any QB that has any long term prospects of starting is going to be taken in rounds 1 or 2. While still a team game there is no denying the correlation between playoff appearances & a FQB. At some point we need to accept that while it's always going to have inherit risk attached to it...it's a necessary evil for long term success. That doesn't mean taking a guy in round 1 every single year; of course not. But if you keep swinging & missing every 4-6 years is not unreasonable. No different than premium ace level pitching in baseball.Frankly this actually results in less draft picks "wasted" on the position under the Ron wolf philosophy of taking a QB every year outside of Round 1 until you strike gold. Yes you're dedicating more premium picks...but less overall picks. You have to take on some risk somewhere w. taking a QB. There's no way around it. The demand is obscenely high & as I already stated evaluating QBs at the next level is almost always going to have risk associated w projection. No way around it. Ignoring the position & waiting for lady luck to smack the team dead in the face is not sustainable theoretically or in actual practice which we've largely adhered to.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

No fuckin way.

Woody's part of the Illuminati and Bowles is ascared for his job.

Now, if only Mac would check in here with the resident QB scholars they might have a chance to break the evil Luciferian cycle and save us.

#145 Walt White, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    slimjasi, hornblower and FJF like this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

No reason to keep either of them on the roster...

7. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Meh, Petty could turn into a decent backup for us.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

...so trade Adams and our revamped secondary for another QB to throw at the wall? If he sticks and out, no brainer. But that's about a 30-70 shot. Tough call.....