John Morton wants Josh McCown back in 2018, but is that best for Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 8, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i will be shocked if there is not a highly regarded qb prospect on the roster week 1 of 2018, shocked! if that happens there will be a lot of pressure for them to win and i will question whether this regime has the vision to succeed in this nfl. i've said many times i want to see mac and bowles commit to building around a qb. now's the time.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure why there's outrage here.

I guess Morton should have said, "Yeah but we really need to find a young QB to lead us to the future, McCown isn't that, despite how good he's been...so I'm not sure I'd want him back to start at least..."

I mean cmon people lol...

3. Well Bowles just got kissing the guy’s ass earlier this week & Mac within the last few weeks.Geez,I didn’t know 5-7 was such an achievement for them to acknowledge the QB position which they rarely do. Are they really happy w 5-7??sure seems it.

4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Sure wouldn't have changed anything here either way.

At least for them, and me too thankfully, they don't have to answer the same questions over and over and they can cut off the media hacks that create bs narratives for attention. Which is why they make the statements. Not to kiss McCown's ass. :rolleyes:

They don't say something people find it wrong. They say something and people bitch. Boo hoo.

I'm glad they make statements so that the team leadership doesn't have take the time out for this melodrama nonsense that the media digs up to feed to people that eat it up.

FJF and playtowinthegame like this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I dont know how any fan is that confident that we're going anything offense next year. They will probably cut Mohammed Wilkerson so there will be an open spot at DE and add a #1 corner to Bowles wish list. I can see the best defensive player falling to us again after the QBs are gone and we fail to trade up. Next we will have a QB competition between two journeymen QBs and fail to improve our offense in any meaningful way again.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Nice post LA. I'm sure McCown will be asking for starter money for sure. Like you said he is not the future only the present and that does nothing for the Jets going forward. I'm pretty sure Bowles will want him to return to help him again save his job. Hopefully Macc has learned his lesson with Fitz and won't do it again.

LAJet and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The point is by signing McCown and a rookie who do you think gives us the best chance to win ?

Bowles will tell ya "McCown all day long, rookie what rookie, oh him sat on his ass twiddling his thumbs thinking why me, why the Jets, Yeah McCown is my number 1"

8. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

As the saying goes:

Watch what they do not what they say.

If McCown is the chosen QB for all of 2018, then you should go from eating crow to eating at "Tavern On The Green". You will be correct that Jets management is insane and to be a Jet's fan would truly be insane.

9. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Happy? Can't imagine. What were your expectations at the beginning of year for a young, talentless team? Do you always expect to hit the lottery when you play your numbers?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Here is a link to Mortons presser. I uploaded it if anyone wanted to see it. Morton was asked if he'd want McCown back, he said sure...... Then was asked to elaborate. Then he mentioned the stats.
    As usual Conner is full of shit.
    The presser is just over 10 mins but actually gives pretty good insight about the current dynamic inside the franchise.

Walt White likes this.
  11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Applauding McCown and bringing him back in no way, shape or form intimates we will not also address the long term QB situation.

I don’t think there is any doubt McCown will be back next year, but it will be as a placeholder until whatever QB we draft is deemed ready to go. That’s a far cry from what we did with Fitzpatrick who was resigned solely with the idea that he was the solution for that season at QB to lead us to the playoffs.

LAJet, slimjasi and TonyFtLaud like this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Plus ......
    McCown is a different person from Fitz. Fitz was a bitch and pouted and bitched when benched and his man crushes, Decker, Marshall and Mangold bitched,cried and quit when he was sat.
    McCown is the type to take whoever is starting under his wing and do everything he can to help him.
    When you look at the QBs in the draft class, Rosen is probably the only one who is ready to play in the league. The rest all have issues that need work and would benefit from some time behind a mentor. Hell, Darnold , the QB everyone has been drooling over since before last season ended, shouldn't even consider entering the draft he needs so much work.

LAJet and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

If they draft a QB in round 1 (my hope), then bringing back McCown to compete with him/mentor him makes a ton of sense.

14. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Bingo

15. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

IDK, there's more to it than meets the eye. Morton must be brown-nosing.

boozer32 likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Bring him back. That simple.

Next?

17. Walt White

You think? Can we get a theory. McCown has pics of him and Bowles? :)

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  18. Walt White

There he is in the lion's den. Media hacks waiting to feed him to starving hyena packs

As usual the best thing to do is to get the story from the horses mouth. Not some pimple faced kid looking for clicks on social media. Of course that would mean finding other things to get outraged about and other conspiracy theories to offer up brilliant thoughts on people's stupidity. Maybe CNN is a good idea?

Thanks for the upload.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Fitz was as over rated as MCCown is under rated. Re signing Fitz was a munumental mistake, for that I blame Mac for caving in, but also Bowles and Chan for insisting on such stupidity, I'm all for bringing McCown back, I just want to see our FQB be giving every chance to start and develop, not another year of this. No freaking rookie QB develops fully in practice. None zero, nada. You need exposure on real games and take your lumps along the way. You need to be given a chance.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

wow, headline oversold the actual quote. Shocking, these news outlets are usually straight shooters

TonyFtLaud and Walt White like this.