Baker Mayfield Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 11, 2016.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

That could be said of any QB, but if he could be great, how can you say the Jets don't need him? I think his balance sheet tilts more toward greatness. What others see as cockiness, I see as self confidence, an essential ingredient for a successful NFL QB. If he has some personality issues, which I don't see as being serious, those can be straightened out by competent coaches and a strong locker room.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The key word in your response is "IF". Sure, if we could be certain that he wouldn't create more problems with his behavior than he adds with his ability, then he might be worth the risk that all drafted players present. But we don't know if we'd be getting a Manning or a Manziel.

3. westiedog1

That was my point. All QB's are "if's" until they prove themselves. You used the word "might", which is pretty much the same as "if" in this case. Was the problem with Manziel that he was a bon vivant and undisciplined, or that he couldn't play? It seems to me that if he could play, no one would care about the other stuff. No one cared about Namath's off field activities because he backed it up on the field.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Trust me, you’re not getting manning, either of them

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Mac loves his high character guys, and Mayfield is not one of those guys. He won't be in Jets green next year

AlexJETS likes this.
  6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Are you referring to the crotch gesture, or is there more?

7. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

This dude is absolute stud and I would not mind if the Jets drafted him one bit. I know the dude has character issues but is also still a kid, maturing comes with the process (for the most part). 22 year old kid who is absolutely dominating the opposition right now, has put way better numbers than Darnold and Rosen, I always prefer to go with the guy who has had a past of winning. I wanted Watson over Trubisky last year if I had to choose, for similar reasons.

westiedog1, grkmanga31 and Walt White like this.
  8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I like him too. He can play.

I think of Jim McMahon and Drew Brees when I see him. Kind of a cross of the two. I like his mentality, and confidence too.

#88 Walt White, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    westiedog1 likes this.
  9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This is the kid I want under center (he'll have to work on that) next season for the Jets...you need a certain type of personality to play in NY and this kid has it .
    He's a leader and a winner...what more could you ask for.

westiedog1, NCJetsfan and Walt White like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. Have you read the following two articles? IMO they show that he doesn't have bad character, just made a stupid mistake.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...n-arrest-indicative-character-flaw-whatsoever

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ant-oklahoma-star-quarterback-baker-mayfield/

He's passionate, competitive, extremely accurate and talented. I think the Jets would be very lucky to have him. In fact, I'm starting to want him more to be the QB that the Jets draft, than any other QB prospect in this draft.

xxedge72x, JetLifeLo and westiedog1 like this.
  11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Underdog and disrespected. Now he's out for blood. Let the kid ball.

#91 Martin&theJETS, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    xxedge72x likes this.
  12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Mayfield is what we need. Gotta go get this kid no matter what.

13. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

This kid has bust written all over him. If Manziel taught us anything don’t mistake immaturity with “passion or swagger”.

Even if you overlook that you are talking about a QB without prototypical measurables who plays in a spread system that inflates QB’s stats in a conference that doesn’t play defense.

A few weeks ago Mayfields backup came in and looked just as good.

ColoradoContrails and legler82 like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I was driving through Buffalo last night listening to sports radio and they had some "draft expert" on. You can laugh at Buffalo talking NFL Draft while still in the hunt in early december btw. Anyway, this "expert" has some very interesting insights.

I apologize as I didn't catch the expert's outlet or his name but they asked him about the Quarterbacks coming into the draft and he was just gushing over Mayfield. A little too much, to be honest, as they asked about his on-field weaknesses and the guy said he had a hard time coming up with any. Which is ridiculous so maybe we need to take his insights with a grain of salt. BUT they asked him about how he would fit in an NFL offense and here's the interesting part, he said [paraphrasing] "many NFL teams are already running styles similar to what he is used to at Oklahoma. The NY Jets for example, under OC John Morton, their offense looks like it is straight out of the Oklahoma playbook already." He went on to say because of that Mayfield would be a tremendous fit with the Jets.

is his claim about our offense and Oklahoma's even true? If it is then I am more interested in Mayfield. I just don't know enough if I find that claim credible.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

This is what I thought too... he immediately owned up to his actions that day.. I haven't heard much else questioning his character outside of that. He seems very confident, something we haven't had from the young QB's we've been throwing out there lately.

Right now the Jets are at 11th pick.. I say we trade up! we got 2 2nds to make something happen! Hopefully one of the QB needy teams in front of us get Cousins over the offseason and maybe we can make a move to get their spot or right behind them to draft Baker!

If Baker's not there, without trading up I wouldnt mind Lamar or Rosen... I know Lamar probably isn't the popular pick but something tells me Morton would have a fine scheme here for the kid...

16. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Rosen ain't getting pass the 3rd pick.

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

you don't think Baker will go before Rosen?

18. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Rosen almost definitely doesn't get past the 1st pick.

19. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

No way! I have Rosen going to the Browns.

ColoradoContrails and JetLifeLo like this.
  20. westiedog1

Thanks for posting this. I really can't say if the offenses of the Jets and OU are similar. I've watched three OU games this year because I'm fascinated by Mayfield. He almost always operates out of the spread. I think I saw him under center once when OU had 1st and goal with short yardage. However, I don't think his ability to work under center should concern anyone because the guy has amazing feet. He's like a ballerina in the pocket. As far as weaknesses go, one could mention his height which is listed as 6'1" so he's probably closer to 6 feet. Despite that, I don't recall many passes being batted down. Another concern could be arm strength, but I've seen him make all the throws including long bombs (his trademark) and a lot of tight windows. NCJetsfan points out that throwing in the Southwest is not the same as throwing in the East weatherwise, and that's a legitimate concern. However, all the top prospects come from good weather states, so it will be hard to judge who will be better for the Jets in that regard.

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.