McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Well 81% is better than Fitz, Vinnie,Boomer, Lucus, Bollenger, Geno, Sanchez, Vick, Matt Simms and Bryce Petty......so almost all the QB we have had lately not named Pennington.

2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Good thread with good give and take, especially after yesterday's terrific performance by him. My two cents: I think McCown's play this year threw a monkey wrench into the "tank." Who would have thought the Jets would be 5-7 and a shot at the playoffs at this point? (Yes, I know there are a few of you who predicted this, but not many.) I can agree that he's earned another year, but I hope the Jets stay the course and bring in a top QB draft choice. Fortunately, for the Jets there are a lot of QB's that have earned 1st round consideration. McCown will probably want to start again next year, if not here, then somewhere else which would be fine. If he wants to stay and be a backup, that's okay too, but the Jets need to move forward with getting that long term FQB in here.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

McCown is not good enough to be a starting QB. He isn't terrible though. He has a tough injury past and was always on bad teams. The Jets are also a bad team, but he has made the most of it this year. Yesterday was a fantastic performance. The Miami, Atlanta and Carolina games were not. He did not do basic things to close out a game. People blame the team for that, but it starts with the QB and for some reason he is awful in the 4th Q. Not yesterday though. He was fantastic and I give him full credit for that.

Hopefully he will agree to return as a Back-Up in 2018. He is a great story this year.

Still, not a good option if you are serious about winning.

4. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

The jets are only serious about winning when winning is to their detriment

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Not sure. Bridgewater is tho. I like Mayfield too. There's options anyway as far as a draft pick and a few FA's.

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This is the difference between bringing in a player the fans expect to play at high level and the player can't, versus bringing in a player we all assume will suck, and he doesn't.

It's almost like every game we expect McCown to implode and our team to fold. Low expectations. So when he goes out there and plays Rudy we can't help but cheer for him, even with a 5-7 record.

Go Rudy! For games left.

abc likes this.
  7. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahaha...

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus 1 Million..hit nail on head

The Official Jet Movie should be "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray dressed as journeyman QB Fitz/McGown, Harold Ramis as Bowles, Annie MacDowell in hot pants and part of the Jets Flight Crew, Steven Tobolowsky as Woody and Brian Doyle Murphy as Mac...STUCK IN THE TIME WARP !!!!...sheeesh...ahahahahahah

#48 NYJetsO12, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    grkmanga31 and abc like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Omg ....LMAO ahahahah

(Falling off chair)

10. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

mccown has played very well this year

having said that, he should only be the contingency plan for 2018 ... my first options would be cousins and bridgewater

and no matter who is signed, draft a qb early

FJF and grkmanga31 like this.
  11. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I suspect the McCown fans will disappear after next year the same way the Fitz fans did.

12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping there's no need for anyone to disappear and that Maccagnan makes the right decision by not focusing on McCown starting. We cannot continue the charade of winning with old - journeymen QB's. It works up until a point and that point is not the playoffs or superbowls.

Mediocrity will forever be the Jets ceiling if they don't find a FQB to build around

ColoradoContrails and abc like this.
  13. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

No Mayfield!!!
    Keenum or trade for Alex Smith, not sure if Franchise QB will be there at our draft poisition..

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You misspelled cousins

MoWilkBeast and abc like this.
  15. FJF

I think mccown will be back, a qb will be drafted at some point and mccown will start the season much like fitz and hack last year. Not crazy about it but that seems to be the way they like to operate

16. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I think McCown is a little more realistic and self aware than Fitz was..pretty sure he understands he's a top tier back up and is looking to get into coaching so I think he would be ok being a mentor/back up for a young QB.

17. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

maybe Josh Allen falls to us, then I would definitely want McCown back to start most or all of the season,
    rookie QBs don't necessarily need to be thrown to wolves right away!

18. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Hahahahahaha...

19. I'm not opposed to Mccown coming back under the right circumstances. First of all he has to be agreeable to being the back-up sooner than later, secondly his contract has to be reasonable & not reasonable a week into TC cause of a contract stand-off...reasonable well before the draft. What we don't want is the same mistake the team made by somehow thinking Fitzpatrick was the answer at QB & putting all their eggs in one basket.

No need to make him into something he is not. If all goes according to plan he's the #2 by 2018 week 4 the latest. What i fear is this will remove some of the urgency surrounding getting a real FQB..and I don't trust them to do the right thing unless it's so obvious it's staring them right in the face.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. FJF

The one thing we have to accept is who ever starts at qb is going to be the qb for as long as he is not
    the problem. Bowles has been
    unwavering in that aspect. So,if mccown comes back I would imagine next training camp is going to look a lot like this last one where a young qb will get a chance to unseat mccown but if he doesn’t he may be
    on the side line a while. I know a lot of people are going to hate that but it seems to be where we are and probably part of the reason for the effort we have seen this year

tbruner12 likes this.