2018 FAs: Even With a Ton of Cap Space, Can the Jets Really Do Much Fix the Roster?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think this has been the problem when it comes to how we build our successful teams. We tend to put ourselves in a pattern of 1-2 years of bad football, then sign a lot of guys with high expectations and when hey don’t produce, we demand the coach and everyone else be fired.

We need to keep building the team by adding more “core players” mostly grabbed in the draft. I’d say we’re nearly there on defense with Maye, Adams, Lee, and Williams. But on offense we really need players we can rely on for a long time. The last time I’d say we had players like that was Mangold and D’Brick.

2. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

With Cousins they probably beat the Dolphins, Carolina and maybe Tampa or Atlanta. McCown threw that horrible INT at the end of the first half against the Patriots. Who knows what happens if Jets get a field goal there? Maybe week 1 is different?

Jets would conservatively be 6-5 with Cousins, maybe 7-4. In the AFC that would be good for the 5th seed.

Looking at the AFC contenders, the Jaguars, Titans and KC dont scare anyone. With Cousins I'd take Jets vs any of them in the first round. Steelers are playing everyone close. Patriots are still the Patriots. But Jets are probably a divisional round team instead of a bottom 5 team.

grkmanga31 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We are 4-7 but in reality should have been 9-2 we had every chance at that bar a last quarter collapse in most of the last 5 defeats and fuck, McCown was just awful versus Tampa, so the problem is all on the QB and the damned play calling in the last quarter, let us not absolve the OC of his conservative play calling when we have a lead, so in the main McCown has been good and at times quite impressive but when the crunch comes he just seems to go to pieces and he is not the future of the Jets.

So say we had Cousins we certainly may well be sitting top of our division with an 9-2 record and with plenty of room to improve as the younger players improve, as it is we have competed hard bar the first couple of games.

#203 K'OB, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    TonyFtLaud and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If they signed Cousins, I would pray they could get Barkley first, then look to address the OL or Edge, but if they did what you suggest, I wouldn't cut my wrists.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

lol, well it's good to know we won't need to do a pulse check if they draft OL round 1.

Mitch Hyatt out of Clemson is an OT that could be interesting in round 2..

6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Re-sign Robbie Anderson before doing anything.The guy is a bigtime player and the fastest, best homerun threat the Jets have had at WR in a loooooong time.

Don't go out pay a ****load of money to other team's free agents then when it's Robbie's turn tell him to be patient, have to be careful with the cap.

We've seen that before.

NYJetsO12, K'OB and 88toon like this.
  7. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

robbie cant be extended until after his third year

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

The obvious question for me is are there any Centers out of that list worth pursuing? I don't follow any other team besides the Jets, and we all know the Jets need a Center in the worst way?

So is there a guy that is a truly great Center that Mac can grab?

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Not sure what you are saying Queens

You support get another uber free agent at QB by signing Cousins ...this pretty much "guarantees " us some wins especially since KC is relatively young and a young Jet team is talented

"well it's good to know we won't need to do a pulse check if they draft OL "

Here you are OK with drafting players BUT ONLY FOR OL?

Unfortunately there are alot of posters like yourself with great intentions on improving the Jets but REFUSE to address the big elephant in the room NO FQB?!?

Ive had a discussion with you before and as I recall you see no special talent in Darnold/Rosen....hmmmm

So answer this..if push comes to shove you want the Jets to bank their future and spend big $ on Kurt Cousins vs trading up to get those 2 Cali Gold Nuggets...essentially saying Cousins is much better that those 2 kids who are just as smart,talented and much younger than KC???

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Draft - Billy Price (OSU - my favorite center prospect) and Frank Ragnow (Arkansas)
    FA - Ryan Jensen (via Ravens)

Mainejet and Walt White like this.
  11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

This offseason and draft is going to be crazy. We have many questions about who how much and are we drafting or signing via free agency. Here are a few questions:

1. After yesterday do we bring Wilkerson back? Third year in a row not playing because of being late. I'm on the no side. Based on money and performance. Maybe if he restructers. No based on current play and money coming to him.

2. Who is our QB? There are so many answers here.
    a. Sign Cousins
    b. Resign McNown have him start next year and draft a qb by either staying at where we pick or trading up for one.

3. Get a center either by drafting or signing one via free agency. Draft linemen who we can develop so when contracts are up we can plug them in.

4. Get edge pass rushers. We need them in the worse way. Not sure free agency or draft.

5. Who do we resign? Claiborn, Jenkins? Who else?

6. Get a receiver who we can throw to in the red zone. Just seeing yesterday's game. Kearse and Anderson are great between the 20s. We need a playmaker in the red zone.

7. Get a running back. Hopefully we can find a Hunt Kamara type in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Looking forward to March when some of the questions will be answered and all the rumors that will come with it. Be a fun offseason.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The answer to 6 is Quincy enunwa

TonyFtLaud and TheJetLife like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we need to improve the o-line. I think we are ok at G, but tackles and center need an upgrade

1) LT solder (29) or robinson (25) could be great. we'll likely stay with beachum who has been decent but not as good as expected
    2) C shawn lauvo (30) is older but would be an improvement evan smith (31) wouldn't be bad either
    3) RT not much out there might be best to stick with what we have and hope they make a jump up since they are both still young.

QB
    cousins would be great. if we can't land him bradford would be a solid option. Minn has bridgewater back now and keenum has played well. I could see them getting rid of bradford of course he is older and coming off injury. 3rd option is we keep mccown. If we land cousins i wouldn't worry about drafting a QB but if we get bradford or mccown we need to draft a QB still meaning petty or hack will be cut.

WR
    this one is interesting now. we get enunwa back. both kearse and anderson have been great. kerly will be gone. we don't know what we have in staurt and hansen yet and peake will be back. Still adding 1 stud WR would be huge. but i don't see one really. I wouldn't mind taylor gabriel. he's a burner and we could try him out at returner. watkins is only 24 and was looking like a stud but is often injured and the rams just traded for him so he'll likely stay. pryor is a big target but has been a bust after his 1 good year in cleveland. I'm thinking best bet is to not sign anyone. unless for some reason the giants don't keep ODB. I think WR is one area we are good at

CB
    CB has some talent out there. we need to resign claiborne. I think skrine gets cut and that leaves us pretty thin. butler, johnson, and hayden are all 27 and could be a good number 2 for us

14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

1) Wilkerson does not deserve to be brought back and his cap savings far outweigh his production. Jets will get rid of him.

2) Cousins is my #1 for QB in free agency, and maybe overall depending on where the Jets ultimately fall in the draft. If we keep on winning our draft position will fall meaning trading up will be more expensive and I can't see Macc trading away a ton of picks to move up many spots. If Mayfield falls to us think Maccagnan will take him. In terms of McCown - we've seen this song and dance before with Fitzpatrick and although McCown is not a locker room cancer, he should not be brought back with the idea of starting. Back up sure, spot starter sure, long term answer - no.

3) Agreed - Center is an absolute must - don't care if its through free agency or draft but it has to be done.

4) EDGE is a need and has been for ages. Question is, when is Maccagnan and Bowles going to realize it as well because it seems as if they don't value EDGE rusher like we all do.

5) I've posted in this thread before about who to resign, but Claiborne, ASJ, Enunwa are my top 3 candidates.

6) Enunwa

7) Forte will be cut so I agree that we need another RB. I'd think that we can draft a good RB in the draft as I've heard this draft is decently deep with RB prospects.

15. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I think the more games the Jets win, the more likely they are to pursue Cousins. With the possibility that Browns, Giants and Broncos are the top three picks, the top QB prospects will be snapped up. The Jets best option would be to go with Cousins. They have both the need and the cap space for him.

NYJFOREVER and grkmanga31 like this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Bradford would be a horrible idea unless we need a qb for the ir

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I am still shocked that Wilkerson had to be suspended for yet again being late. He was right with what he said last year, that that behavior is unacceptable and not that of a team leader. As you know, earlier, I was dead set against cutting him, not only because of the huge dead money hit, but because he has been injured, and is still capable of putting up monster numbers. I'm coming around to your way of thinking, however. The Jets can't have players continually being late, being irresponsible, or prima donnas. At the very least, I hope that they will sit him down and read him the riot act, threatening to trade him to the Browns if it happens again. If he has any character or integrity, he should be willing to renegotiate his contract downwards (if the CBA even allows that). If so, they could give him one more chance if he wants to stay. I'm wondering if his being late is a passive aggressive way of forcing the Jets to trade or release him. Question, if they trade him, does the new team totally absorb Mo's contract, or would the Jets will be on the hook for the $9 million in dead money? If the Jets would be off the hook, then trading him would be preferable. If they can find a taker who will give up their 2nd round pick in return for the Jets picking up $6-7 million of Mo's cap cost this season, I'd do it. I'd hate to have to release him and get nothing in return.

As you know, I've also been very against this move, but agree if the Jets keep winning, it becomes more and more likely that they will go all out to sign him. I agree with your analysis that if the team keeps winning, our draft position will not have us where we can draft a top QB prospect without giving up a lot to move up, and that Mac won't be willing to do that. I also agree that Mac would take Mayfield if he's there at our pick if he didn't sign Cousins. If he signed Cousins, to a 4 or 5-year contract, what would be the point of drafting a top young QB prospect? Barring injury or abysmal play, Cousins would be the starter for that time period, and a big chunk of that rookie's career would be wasted. Thus, if the Jets sign Cousins, then they should look to draft Barkley, a top edge rusher or LT prospect with their 1st round pick. Barkley would most likely be gone, and I don't think they should trade up for a RB, no matter how good he is. If they don't sign Cousins and Mac won't give up the ranch to move up for Rosen or Darnold or Mayfield, then I would hope that he wouldn't reach for one of the other QBs and would either draft an LT or top edge rusher or be able to trade down and address the pass rush, OL, RB, and CB, maybe even a QB or an NT lower in the draft, and roll with McCown, Petty and the mid-to-lower round QB or Hack again next year, then look to draft a QB in 2019 I just don't think Jackson or any of the other QBs are good prospects except Stidham, and I think he needs to stay in school another year. There will be some exciting QB prospects in 2019 and/or 2020 that the Jets could focus on. I don't want to wait that long to get a QB, but if you don't have the ammo to trade up, or if Mac isn't willing to part with as much as it takes to move up, I don't see that we have much other choice.

I think we should definitely be able to sign a FA C. Following are young Cs who are projected to be FAs. Probably not all will be available, as some will have re-signed with their team, but with 6 starting or former starting Cs who are 27 or younger, are chances should be excellent of signing one of them.

Corey Linsley, 26 GB - He's their starter. I'll be surprised if they don't re-sign him
    Ryan Jensen, 26 Ravens - He's their starter. I'll be surprised if they don't re-sign him
    Travis Swanson, 26 Lions - He's their starter. I'll be surprised if they don't re-sign him
    Russell Bodine, 25 Bungles - He's their starter. I'll be surprised if they don't re-sign him
    Luke Bowanko, 26 Ravens - backup for the Ravens
    Weston Richburg, 26 Giants - Is presently on IR
    Spencer Long, 27, Redskins - Is presently on IR
    Brian Schwenke, 26 Titans - He's the backup in Tennessee
    Demetrius Rhaney, 25 Redskins - 3rd string center

There are also these older Cs who could be FAs. If need be, the Jets could sign one as a stopgap to a one- or two-year deal to upgrade the position for next season, and give them time to find a better long-term replacement for Johnson.

Evan Smith, 31 Bucs
    Daniel Kilgore, 29 Niners
    John Sullivan, 32 Rams
    Josh LeRibeus, 28 Saints
    Tony Bergstrom, 31 Redskins - Presently their backup. Interesting that Redskins have 4 centers, and 3 of them will be FAs.

I think the odds are pretty good that we should be able to add a center via FA

If they sign Cousins or can't get a top QB prospect in the draft, then this might finally be the year. I wouldn't be opposed to trading up for Chubb if need be.

Those 3 should definitely be re-signed.

Enunwa, ASJ or maybe Leggett can be their go-to receiver in the Red Zone

I agree. I doubt it, but they may even make a run at signing Le'Veon Bell in FA.

18. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

do what you can to get one of the top 3 qbs in the draft.

19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If they trade him his contract could theoretically be altered but it would have to be agreed upon by the jets, Wilkerson and the team that’s trading for him. I don’t think anyone will trade from him at his current salary and so if I had to guess Maccagnan has or will look to deal him for whatever he can get but ultimately I think he will have to cut him. He really has fallen off, not only on the field but as a leader he just isn’t that anymore. Sets a bad example for everyone around him and he should have been suspended the entire game as this is a known repetitive issue with him. No one is giving us a 2nd round pick for him also, I would imagine his trade value is at best a 5th rounder if not less because of all the negative aspects tied to him listed above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Some "younger" OGs who may be available in FA and whom the Jets may consider going after are:

Andrew Norwell, 26 Panthers
    Jonathan Cooper, 27 Cowboys
    Chris Hubbard, 26 Steelers
    Xavier Sua'Filo, 26 Texans
    Senio Kelemete, 27 Saints
    Patrick Omameh, 27 Jaguars
    Joe Looney, 27 Cowboys
    Amini Silatolu, 29 Panthers
    Kenny Wiggins, 29 Chargers
    Kevin Pamphile, 27 Bucs
    Zach Fulton, 26 Chiefs