McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Dec 4, 2017.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Shit man, did you see Carson Wentz last night? Dude stiiiiiiiiinks.

Bottom line is he's the second most accurate QB in the league with 23 total TDs through 12 weeks. If you can find a way to complain about that, you're just trying to be miserable.

2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

McCown is playing pretty well. As long as his arm isn’t running out of juice he could play for a while. He has significantly less attempts than any other QB his age. 2,500 over 15 seasons.

He is getting hot at this point in his career and his arm is still very strong. He could have a lot left in the tank. My gf is a big fan of his haha. My good buddy that is a Patriots fan likes him.

In fact, my gf and my buddy Pats fan both screamed out McCowns name at the bar Saturday night and hi fived. Pretty wild lol. It was interesting.

Everyone I talk to gives him mad props and thinks he is playing lights out.

#22 Martin&theJETS, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Um, yea , listen, you may want to keep an eye on your buddy and your gf.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Wish he was 25 but unfortunately he is not. He should 100% be back next year and he competes with rookie QB. Rookie QB starts once he’s ready.

5. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

McCown will be back as the early starter with the drafted QB waiting to play mid-season depending on how it goes. I hope Lamar Jackson is still on the board. The fact that Mehta doesn't like him makes him the obvious choice.

Walt White, Jets_Grinch and FJF like this.
  6. Martin&theJETS

lol, it was in good fun. Only McCown.

FJF likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

McCown was brought in to get the Jets a high pick and like most things we try these days the move didn't work out.

Peebag and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think he was brought to mentor the young QBs who they hoped would win the job but they weren't up to the task and had to go with McCown.

Walt White, 101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Yes, McCown stinks - except for the fact that he hits open receivers on a consistent basis and can throw deep. ;) Jets fans aren't used to seeing that so it's understandable some haven't come around yet. I think the mistakes in judgement that happen when he's trying to do too much are a result of him having ALWAYS played on crap teams and always had to try to make something happen. Not saying he has to start next year, but am saying the Jets should keep him on board. Now, having said that, I do remember "Fitzmagic" and how he looked much worse in his second year starting here.

Check out McCown's wikipedia bio. He's had bad luck, but he's a solid dude - he even honored a committment to some team in CT in some independent league after the Bears cut him, then later wanted him back. He felt it was a bad example for his young sons to see their father renew on a deal so he stayed out of the NFL for a season.

Andy_M and tbruner12 like this.
  10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

No one in their right mind should oppose the bold. Unlike Fitzpatrick he doesn't have delusions of grandeur. He's the PERFECT veteran QB to couple with a young QB you draft.

11. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

it's going to be funny if we lose 3-4 games and McCown throws a few stupid picks or coughs the ball up. Threads after a great game are knee jerk just as doom and gloom threads are knee jerk post game.

McCown is who he is. He's a really good back up QB, and he is like fitz except he isn't full of shit, nor is he a locker room cancer. Would I bring him back as a backup and as a good locker room guy, absolutely. But I'm not relying on him to elevate this team to playoff contention.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

What's McCown's career win/loss record up to now? 25%?

abc likes this.
  13. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

1) I think he has a better cast around him right now than maybe he ever has, and 2) I think the locker room chemistry with this bunch is special and he knows it.

Fitz had an established cycle of play that he repeatedly exhibited. The Jets resigned him IN SPITE of the fact that his history showed that was not a wise idea - and they paid for it. I think McCown is a completely different story. He has shown no reason at all NOT to bring him back - for a reasonable salary. He is old, I know, but he plays younger than he is. I think maybe, in this grouping, he has another good year or two in him as a starter....depending on how much and how badly he gets hit.

Draft the future and let him sit and learn behind this guy. Then keep him on as the QB coach.

#33 Andy_M, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    BudJet likes this.
  14. Martin&theJETS

McCown can hit the deep ball and he does not limit this offense. No reason not to bring him back.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  15. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

I thought yesterday was the one of the best QB performances that the Jets have had in a long time, but I cannot get enamored with McCown. The fact is that the dude is a 38 year old journeyman QB with a large injury history. Of course I appreciate him making this year enjoyable, but I would be extremely disappointed if he was brought back next year to start.

These numbers are not sustainable and it will come crashing down eventually. We have to learn from the past mistake with Fitz. We cannot pay 10+ million for another journeyman QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails, abc and westiedog1 like this.
  16. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

But, they really didn't over pay for it, which also could've happened. Water under the bridge at this point.

17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I love what McCown has done for the Jets this season, but I would not break the bank for him when there are so many more attractive possibilities in free agency. I wouldn't mind Drew Brees wearing a Jets helmet next season.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

McCown's history is the reason we shouldn't bring him back. He has a 96.7 passer rating this year, but his career rating is 81. And the one time he was given a starter's contract, he blew it. That was when he had a few great games for the Bears and the Bucs signed him to start. I have no problem with him coming back, but there'd better be a young QB of the future on the roster, and Petty/Hack are not that guy.

ColoradoContrails, NYJetsO12 and abc like this.
  19. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Bring him back. yes. But we need to draft a QB, i.e. Allen, Mayfield.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

I understand the thought process here, but I don't understand what you don't feel is sustainable. I Don't see him doing anything special, and it's not like he is reaching to make the throws he makes. He is in a good rhythm with his receivers and he is managing games well. In fact, I noticed yesterday that he was NOT making mistakes in scenarios where he usually melts down. I actually think he is improving on this front because he doesn't feel that he has to do it himself. People make too much out of numbers and statistics sometimes. I don't see anything here that can't be sustained into next season if we don't start making massive changes.....and there is no need to do that.