The Jets have a real problem at MetLife

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Dec 3, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I haven’t been a season ticket holder since 2013 but still make it out to 3-4 games a year. Ive noticed a downward trajectory in fan attendance and enthusiasm, but this year it has come to head. Today’s game was very entertaining and the stadium was still a morgue. Not only was the attendance dreadful (would have been less than half full if not for influx of Chiefs fans), but the crowd doesn’t even care enough to stand up. Anybody who has been to a road game knows that most fan bases stand up the entire game. That’s certainly not the case at MetLife. At this point the people who are going to the game are only there to partake in an elaborate tailgate and get drunk.

Word of advice for Woody-you can’t get out of NJ fast enough.

2. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

Put something worth watching on the field, and the fans will show up. It's not rocket science.

3. There are posts from home game to home game that say the exact opposite about the Metlife fan enthusiasm.Not sure what to believe as true.

That said the fan base knows what the team is right now & everything is in a really bizarre state

MJK likes this.
  4. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

When a team marches down the field and scores 14 points as easily as KC did to start this game, you can't blame the crowd for sitting back.

That said, on TV, during the last defensive series particularly, the crowd definitely sounded like they were into it.

5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Just wait 'till the Christmas Eve game vs. SD

Mike Aponte likes this.
  6. endydee

endydee Active Member

Are you saying the stadium will be empty? You're probably right. I'm sure even SD, won't show up.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Three letters can be contributed to this

#7 stinkyB, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  8. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I was there yesterday, and a quick roll-call through our tailgating group showed that many if not most are not going because of it being Christmas Eve. Even the slightest hint of bad weather will cause many to bail.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think the Jets will be back to playing well in 2018 and so will the crowds. Add a big name or 2 in Free Agency/Draft and you will see changes.

10. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Exactly. The team must get better before the fans will be willing to invest their emotion into it.

11. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Being an old f..t there is no way either me or my wife can stand up fr even part of the game. It was much better when everyone sat and jumped up for good plays while chanting : JETS, JETS, JETS

12. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Haven't been to any games this year but I have heard the opposite..that people have been surprised by the crowds this year..bottom line put a good product on the field and the crowds will be fine..Jets aren't moving anywhere.

13. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Been to every game this year- so far I've seen the same season ticket holding fans every week in my section. Sure there is a bunch of empty seats, but I wouldn't say the place has no energy every week, especially for a team that had 0 expectations. The fans have been decently loud under the circumstances, and its only going to get better as the team gets better. Jets fans are some of the most loyal fans in the league, and for alot of us its a tradition/family bond going to the games.

Brook! and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  14. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I think there are many reasons why it was like this:

1. Yes we have a chance at the playoffs but we are a 4-7 team. Who wants to see that?
    2. PSL's have killed the fan experience. Look behind the benches. All those seats are empty. Between the cost, corporate suits sitting there (not real Jet or NFL fans) and the offeering of food and seats inside why sit in your seats (should have put it in the mezzanine).
    3. The seats are so far from the field unlike the old stadium so it is not as loud.
    4. The world has changed.
    a. The game is better on tv.
    b. People rather stay home and watch the Red Zone channel
    c. It's too expensive to go to a game.
    d. The youth are just not that interested. When I was a kid all we talked about was the NFL. Talk to a kid today it is about cell phones, video games and everything else in between but sports.

These are just a few factors but a number of reasons why. When the Jets are good again people will go but I don't think it'll be like the old stadium.

15. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

I've been to 2 of the 4 home wins. The Miami game and the Jags game. I was in the lower level (very cheap on stubhub, when we were good I always at upstairs) and I thought the crowds were decent. Especially after going 0-2

16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Fans were told for 6 months this was potentially the worst team of all time.

My enthusiasm dipped for sure. It has since come back a little bit since Bowles and boys have shown they give a shit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  17. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

The only real problem at met life is we are winning. The Giants will get their new franchise qb, the bills will get their qb the broncos with smug douche elway will get their franchise. Us? Defensive tackle

Unhappyjetsfan likes this.
  18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Since U do not own the team why worry about it since it is clearly a ownership problem?:mad:

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

so true about the kids - I cannot get mine to take the slightest interest in the NFL and same for my only other UK-based NFL supporting mate - they are not interested in any team sports (despite being sporty themselves) - there are just way too many other distractions out there then there were when we were kids - a real ticking time bomb for all sports franchises I would imagine

GordonGecko likes this.
  20. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I have been to games in NO, Tampa, Washington, KC, Indy, LA, SD, Atlanta, Carolina, Jax, and Miami

I have NEVER in any of those stadiums had to stand the entire game.

I have been to playoffs and championship games in all sports.
    I have seen the Stanley Cup hoisted 4 times, I have seen the last game of the World Series twice.
    The only game I have ever been to where the entire crowd was standing the whole game was Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals in 2006 in Carolina.