Food for thought...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 20, 2017.

1. seanofthedead

seanofthedead Well-Known Member

While I understand your dislike of the media, Joe Caporoso was never one to shit on the Jets. If memory serves correct his pre-season prediction for the team was 6-10. I’ll have to look through the TOJ website to confirm this. I happen to think that the website is one of the better Jet related websites out there as far as honest coverage of the team.

Edit: OK I was wrong - he had them at 5-11.... here are his 2017 30 preseason "takes". Some hits and some missed but I don't think he needs to be considered some kind of hater... LOL

http://turnonthejets.com/2017/09/primesport-turn-jets-30-pack-new-york-jets-2017-predictions/

#41 seanofthedead, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jet fans wanted to win, that's why 2016 happened. I think Bowles has done a good job given the circumstances. Players are getting better, like the linebackers, Robbie Anderson, 2 rookie safeties. I think Morton has a good offensive system here, needs to get better at playcalling. Mac hit on some picks, made some good trades. Jets are in position to have a signature type draft to make this team relevant in the playoff standings in the next year or so. I want to see this thing through.

Bowles and his hires has renewed some of my confidence, he needs to continue to improve along with the entire FO.

FJF likes this.
  3. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Just reading his twitter account messages, you'd never think he was anything but a hater, but I may have been over reacting. At the same time, his critical comments regarding what Bowles and Mac has stated about not being overconfident and needing improvement, that was a bit extreme. What else can they say? It stands to reason about them not being too harsh because they are the ones steering the 'plane'.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

ummm... most people "fly" the plane, not steer it. I guess that's how Jet ownership rolls. :)

BomberJet likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's amazingly accurate. Sadly, I don't think Woody or Chris will read it, or if they do, do anything about it. It will take a complete reversal of what I've seen from Macc & Bowles so far to lead me to believe they can fix this.

6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

This long time Jet fan is glad you are not.

7. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I think McCagnan knows he only has one more shot to pick a QB which is why he was gunshy in this years draft.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

No pressure...

9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I agree for sure. My thought process is two fold really because A) He used a 2nd pick on Hack the year before and didn't want to give up on him that quickly and B) Maccagnan knows that if you use a 1st round pick on a QB and it doesn't pan out, you're usually out of a job.

Macc IMO was trying to play both sides of the coin by trying to strike gold with a lower drafted QB so as to not risk losing his job if he went QB high. But like you said he has 1 more shot at QB and I think the mandate will be that he either draft a QB in the first round or go after Kirk Cousins assuming he hits free agency.

We can't continue this charade of relying on journeymen back up QB's to win us games.

ColoradoContrails, Cman68 and mrjet80 like this.
  10. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

With all due respect, I think you're stuck in 1st gear with this? I tend to think 2015 and 16 should also matter. In fact, I think if there's any justice in the world, Mac should have been fired already? He got a chance and he was a brand new GM. New GM's always get only one chance to get it right? He got to keep his job and Woody gave him a mulligan for 2015 and 2016.

There's NOTHING you or I can do about that. It obviously does not matter to Woody. So at the end of the day, we are just fans. We have no say with what happens to Mac. Woody made up his mind and his decision was for Mac to be forgiven for the FA strategy of getting to the SB not working.

Therefore, you must get over it. I have.

And at least thus far, I really think his second chance is working? He's got a potential war chest to use in FA and the 2017 draft is a great one IMO. I believe this draft will turn out to be compared with the likes of the 2006 draft. The last great draft the Jets had IMO.

So the days of getting 5+ years to figure things out are still here at least in NY and under Woody Johnson they are..........

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

its possible he preferred a certain group of prospects. I think the Jets liked Watson, but not more than Rosen or Darnold. Calculated risk.

12. grkmanga31

I think Hack being a second round pick went a long way in deciding not to go QB high last season. 2018 is a whole different story IMO

13. 101GangGreen101

Jets did a lot of scouting too in terms of QBs. A lot of QBs came to visit. I think Hack played a role, but not a huge one. Who knows what would've happened if a team took Adams before us. Using the BPA, a QB could've been taken next. Tough to say. Do the Jets take Mike Williams? I doubt it. McCaffery? Probably not. They weren't BPA.

14. grkmanga31

Who truly knows, but I guess it would have looked really bad on Macc's part to have drafted a QB in the first given the fact Hack didn't even see any time.

2 seasons removed now, with some lengthy appearances in preseason, I think Macc will have to address QB, either through free agency (Kirk Cousins) or drafting a QB in the first.

We just can't go on anymore with the old journeymen QB's as it puts a cap on how much this team can win IMO

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think it was the perfect storm of hack already on the roster and Adams falling to us along with the 2018 class looking deep. I don’t think mac has the luxury of just going straight down the board this year.

16. 101GangGreen101

I don't think it would've looked bad for Mac to take one if he felt they were the right guy, I mean look at how we viewed Marcus Maye when he got selected.

If Mac took Watson and left Hack in the dust, I wouldn't have cared. Now, I wasn't a huge fan of Watson or Mahomes but hey gotta do what you gotta do. He's the GM not me.

FJF likes this.
  17. grkmanga31

We had no real safety's though so taking 2 didn't look bad and I applauded the move because we needed safety's with Pryor being trash and Gilchrist being cut from injury.

I also think that hindsight is 20/20 because if he picked Watson with the 6th pick, or Mahomes, and they didn't start and play right away, it would have been bad. If they did start and played poorly I think the seat would have been even hotter for Maccagnan. Right now, he can use the excuse that he selected Hack in the 2nd round, wanted to see his progression and then make a judgment as to whether he wanted to address QB.

In 2018 he has absolutely no reason not to address QB. Obviously if we play ourselves out of the top 5 then getting Rosen or Darnold is a pipe dream, but if we're top 5, and we don't make a play up for QB it better be because no amount of picks would have changed the minds of teams in front of us.

He may also think that trading away draft assets is unwise given how many holes we have on the o-line, corner, edge rusher and may opt to just throw 28 mil a year at Cousins.

I personally just want a QB who's either pretty good (Cousins) or someone young like Rosen or Darnold to get excited about. This franchise needs a change of energy, something to look forward to because I think the fanbase is uninterested and that will be evident at years end when they tally up all the unsold seats, merchandise, and concession sales.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Outside of Williams and Adams, who fell into his lap, who, outside of Maye, is a stud pick that Maccagnan has made? Do you believe in his abilities to draft a QB after the selections of Petty and Hackenberg? How about some of his FA signings and acquisitions?

grkmanga31 likes this.
  19. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I would have them both canned, but we know that won't happen. They'll both be back and we'll have another fun 6-10 to 8-8 season next year.

20. 101GangGreen101

I'm glad he took safeties as well. I was hoping he would. It is hindsight in terms of taking Watson with the 6th pick, but there was legitimate interest between the 2 teams. The amount of visits (pre draft, combine, post, etc) show that. They did the same with Mahomes. Bates the QB coach has ties to Mahomes. I think Watson was high on the Jets draft board. This franchise needs a leader / difference maker on the offensive side of the ball. We haven't had one since Martin and Chad P. They were true leaders that had a tremendous impact with the ball in their hands.

May it be Cousins, Rosen, Jackson, or Darnold it has to be someone. Can't trout out McCown again and expect progress.

FJF likes this.
  21. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

No doubt you will want to fire the next ones.