Food for thought...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 20, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I don't get the idea of keeping people in place just to be consistent. If someones not doing a good job, when is the right time to get rid of them?

Food for thought: On sunday night football, the Eagles looked like dog shit for a half versus a Cowboys team that was missing their arguably best defensive player (Sean Lee). Guess what Pederson did at the half, he made adjustments and the Eagles completely blew up the cowboys in the second half. Granted, yes i know the Jets don't have wentz but Bowles hasn't shown an ability do deviate from his game plan and change on the fly. This is year 3 for him and the same thing fans were complaining about in year 1 are still alive and well in year 3?

Can someone honestly say they'd feel comfortable if we kept Bowles and put him in charge of mentoring a young QB?

I can't.

Either ways, something has to give and this offseason we have to address QB. No more ancient journeymen QB. Get someone who's young and let's build this thing the right way by focusing on helping the QB through o-line help and let's get some corners and edge rushers in here.

The jets, just like joe said, focus on non-premium positions which is why we haven't seen the playoffs in 7 years. Maccagnan is at fault for some of this and my suspicion is Maccagnan has avoided drafting QB in the 1st round because if the QB fails its usually a fireable offense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

When they overachieved and thought they had something to grow on. He fired the whole regime the next year for the exact opposite results.

3. FJF

Names of these people with clout that are available?

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

When the current Celtics coach Brad Stevens was coaching Butler University in the Horizon League, they won an exciting game by 1 point on a buzzer beating shot. The players started to celebrate but Stevens asked them to tone it down and after the game Stevens was quite annoyed and monotone. The media asked him why he would be like that when his team had such an exciting win. He basically said that they played like shit and just because 1 shot went in, that easily could've bounced out, they should not be treating it as some great accomplishment. 1 shot should not define your game. What about the other 39 minutes? etc. You need to be excellent all the time.

It was then that I knew Stevens could coach basketball anywhere and have success. The Celtics are finding this out.

Contrast that with this organization of "professionals" celebrating 8-8 like its the superbowl. dancing around like idiots after winning in the playoffs only to get smoked the next game, celebrating 4-6 like its been a success because expectations were low. mediocre veteran QB after mediocre veteran QB so rookie coaches can show off their "system". We get completely SCREWED by the refs losing to Belichick (who owns this franchise) and it's "aw shucks." at least we were close this time eh?

#24 BrowningNagle, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  5. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but 2015 and 2016 should not be thrown out the door. Bowles and Maccagnan had a say and if they didn't, well then, I'm not so sure I want them running the organization at all anymore.

Heck, I already know I want Bowles gone and one more QB F Up and Maccagnan has to be, too. You could even case for getting rid of them both now.

I just see zero growth in Bowles when it comes to pretty much anything, so at this point, I say give Macc another 3 years with another HC or clean house completely and give them 3-4 years to figure it out.

Gone are the days of allowing coaches 5+ years to suck wind before they "figure it out" or just find enough players to mask their short comings. That really didn't work out well for anyone, outside of Cowher and Pittsburgh, anyway.

Maybe I'm just an idiot because I'm not a "professional" as the OP has stated before, but Todd Bowles brings zero confidence to the table in the eyes of many fans and I don't agree with keeping him around for another 1-2 years because it makes us look "more stable". The guy who should have been kept around longer was Mangini. Not this clown.

6. FJF

Well, that’s why it’s dicey. The case can definitely be made to fire either,or, and both when the season is over. We don’t know what was discussed before they took the route they took. We’re just going by emotion and frustration of the last 7 years, only 2 of which this regime is responsible for. It would take some spine to scratch mac n Bowles another 2 year extension and damn the fans and media. The kind of spine we haven’t seen from woody and honestly Chris would earn some of my respect for doing it. Gone is the way of 5 years to figure it out because the powers bend to the media and fans, which is why Mangini was canned. And that makes your post a little ironic, don’t you think?

7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Fire them all.

8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned Joe Blow and the rest of these so called experts can all pound sand. Him and the rest were all stating emphatically that the Jets were not only the worst team in the league but possibly the worst of all time. Now, after he realizes that this is not the case he has to justify his miscalculation by shifting the issues to another part of team that we cannot at this point debate about because it's still to early to to tell. His opinion(s) are just like but holes, everyone has one.

soh_vet and hornblower like this.
  9. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

How about this:
    Fire everyone on the payroll and rehire. Remove everything Jet-Related. Get a new mascot (ex. Sharks, Gothams, etc.) and new colors.
    Start life over similar to an expansion team.

Tried everything else. Maybe this will work.

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

No. I didn't. I don't know about you, but do you honestly think Bob Kraft would be happy to see his team fucking up all over the field?

As the owner, you should be able to demand THIS much as a starter.

And I gave you a concrete piece of advice because it looked like you wanted one. Yes. I am saying Chris Johnson should demand cutting down sloppy shit from Todd Bowles - more or less because Bowles cannot do that himself.

11. FJF

But isn’t changing coaches every time we suck doing that? would you prefer he holds a press conference every week highlighting what he did not like about the last game?
    Fans feel too entitled nowadays

#31 FJF, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    MoWilkBeast and soh_vet like this.
  12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

When they danced around like idiots during the game against the Bills 2 games ago, most everyone here lauded the idea, not paying any attention to the fact that they were still mediocre and would still have to play another game the following week against the even more mediocre Tampa Bucs. We know how that came out. And now we understand why Bowles stated it was 'no big deal' for players to miss team meetings. Why not just come out and say that this is a near sighted organization that doesn't require the foresight nor the focus?

#32 BomberJet, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't know about this issue either - my mentality has always been: DO THE FUCKING JOB. Or I will find someone else who will.

If Bowles cannot keep the team accountable, he's got to go.

14. FJF

Agreed just like Edwards went,mangini went,Rex went and chance are within the next few years Bowles will go. To me that’s not the owner feeding a culture of mediocrity though. Quite the opposite,it’s demanding winning or else.

15. MurrellMartin

Little bit, sure, but Mangini at least made the postseason in 2006 and if it weren't for Favre's arm prematurely dying at the end of 2008, who knows.

But that's the story of this franchise since 1969.

"What if"

FJF likes this.
  16. MurrellMartin

I would, but I know that won't happen. Either Bowles gets another year or Maccagnan gets 3 more with his pick of a HC this time around.

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

And passed on Deshaun Watson!!!!!!

19. FJF

here is the 3 time tables that seem the most likely to me.
    1. Sign cousins and it’s playoffs or bust for Bowles
    2. Draft qb rd 1 and both are safe through 2019.
    3. Qb isn’t addressed and both are gone after 2018

20. MurrellMartin

I'll hope for No.1. I like "surer" things and Cousins, unlike past QB's brought in here, is far from washed up.

FJF likes this.