Food for thought...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

This team seems to thrive on moral victories instead of actual ones. I don't know how things have changed to be this way but things have changed since the 00s.

abc likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Because the bar kept getting lowered until it became a trench.

abc and Jets_Grinch like this.
  4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Spot on article - it started off when we went to two AFC championship games and we celebrated the fact that we were a game away from the SB. But then the rug got pulled from the under the team with horrific drafting and personnel usage.

Why the Jets have yet to address edge rusher, o-line, QB, etc. is beyond me but the Joe Caporoso is 100% spot on. This team cannot keep on the same path it's on now. It's an embarrassment that in a league of parity the Jets can't make the playoffs and continue to sign and exclusively use journey men back up QB's.

One thing I hope joe is wrong about though is that this interim owner (Chris Johnson) will not pull the trigger on changes just because he's filling in for his brother. If he wants to put his stamp on the team and become memorable to this fanbase he best make changes if he deems fit.

Quite honestly, our schedule going forward is difficult and if we lay another egg off the bye week it would be yet another nail in the coffin of Bowles as HC.

If we even did away with Bowles as HC and went after an offensive minded HC it would be a move in the right direction, especially if we are going to draft a qb in round 1

MurrellMartin likes this.
  5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Obviously, you cannot get excellence unless you demand excellence.

Jets need to change their team culture - they should learn to 1) demand excellence, and 2) accept nothing less than excellence, and that should start from the top of the chain of command. I don't see it happening.

Leicester Jet, Peebag, abc and 3 others like this.
  6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I am much longer a Jet Fan than the author. Spare me the all knowing articles about what we are supposed to think. A few years ago he would have been on the Rex Ryan bandwagon and before gone nuts about bringing in Brett Favre. No fan ever wants to go through the long seasons it takes to build a teams so we opt for the short term fix and then call for the coach to be fired if he doesn't win right away. This board is a perfect illustration of why the team can't be rebuilt. First it was tank. Now it's fire the coach and GM. Building a team takes time and we fans and ownership have not allowed the process to run its course. So instead of bitching about the draft choices and insulting the coach by some bad puns about his name allow these professional men to take their shot over the next few seasons. They seem to have a plan and if it does not work out start all over. The quick fix never works. If that is too difficult root for the Giants.

MJK, BomberJet, MoWilkBeast and 6 others like this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

We won the Snoopy Bowl thats all that matters !

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What else can woody do to demand excellence? 17 years 4 coaches 4 gms isn’t exactly the record of an owner who lets shit slide. He fired one coach after 3 years netted 1 losing season. Exactly what does he/chris have to do now to “demand excellence? New coach/gm every 2 years instead of the every 4 we are averaging?

playtowinthegame likes this.
  9. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I’m sorry, but when the GM spends a 2nd round draft pick on Christian Hackenberg he deserves to be called out. I may not be a “professional”, but I was able to tell he stunk by simply watching a few of his games on TV. That draft pick was a fireable offense.

abc and grkmanga31 like this.
  10. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Sorry a quick hook never works. He knows he made a mistake. It happens but go ahead get another scalp.

nycarl likes this.
  11. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this...........I'm not a fan of Bowles but I do like what I'm seeing from Mac....slowly but surely turning things around. He needs a huge offseason though. He has to find that QB....

hornblower likes this.
  12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Are you satisfied with the high numbers of flags thrown at this team? Why don't we start from there?

Cut down the number of flags thrown per game by half. Or else. That will be a starting point in the right direction, no?

13. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This article points out exactly what I've been saying. A lot of fans here are so happy with being something other than 0-16. My take is.........

WHO CARES?

So we're MEDIOCRE instead of the very worst team in the history of football. Hell, even I got a little caught up when the Jets won 3 straight. However, I'm over that now. We are mediocre and that simple is not good enough.

Our GM and HC's job description is as follows:

To continually make this team better and better each and every year until the NYJ win the SB.

That's the entire objective behind their job descriptions. I challenge anyone here to debate me about this. This is 100% correct and there isn't anything that I am missing. If they fail to continually make the team better then it is up to the owners discretion as to whether he should fire the front office or not.

Quite frankly, Woody opted not to fire the GM and HC after last years debacle and based on how encouraging the future looks right now, I'm glad Woody didn't fire Mac. I would gladly walk Toilet out the door, but all in all I can still tolerate him this year. We weren't winning the SB this season anyway.

Moving forward, we have enormous coffers of money in reserve. We have plenty of ammunition to pick and choose the best FA's. Players that pick specific needs and cannot be obtained through the draft. That's the smart way to shop. Wait until the exact right guy becomes available and then make sure you are ready to pay top dollar to get him.

Mac had an excellent draft in 2017. Most of these newb9ies are playing well and they hit the ground running. they were immediate contributors. That's a very good thing in sharp contrast to 2016. However, this must continue. This rebuild goes nowhere unless Mac continues to draft well.

The jets are actually much closer to being in the SB than people realize. The Jets will be in the SB in 2019, if they accomplish the two following objectives:

1) Mac MUST continue to draft well. Two more drafts like 2017 and the Jets team will be ripe with talent in 2019.

2) Mac MUST get us a franchise QB. This rebuild goes nowhere unless Mac can find us the most important position on the team.

In closing, I agree completely with what the writer says, other than to point out they may not as active in FA as the author suggests. This rebuild is about shopping and making wise purchasing choices in FA. That may not happen as fast as next spring.

14. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

How many years would you give this regime? This is Year 3 and will be Year 3 of not making the postseason. I get that the mantra now is that they're "trying to do it the right way", but they should still be held accountable for 2015 and 2016 as well. So how many more years are you giving them? 2018? 2019? How many failed years is enough for you to say a change needs to be made?

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  15. FJF

Ok, I feel like you moved the goal posts on me here. You said demand excellence and it starts at the top. I took that to be woody/chris, but to answer your question, agreed that penalties have been an issue and I would like to see some guys lose some playing time for continuous mistakes, just doesn’t seem to be anything on the bench to put out there.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he could start with not allowing things like a locker room celebration for finishing 8-8. as the article pointed out.

17. FJF

That’s the dicey part. I would say, if woody/chris signed off in this they have to give them through 2019 to see where it’s going. It’s going to be a tough sell with the media constantly harping on the x straight years without a playoff appearance articles coming out every week but that’s the appropriate length of time and what they would have gotten had they started the rebuild on Mac/Bowles day 1. Let’s see how much conviction the Johnson bros have or if they are just going to bend to what ever way the wind blows

18. FJF

So, micro manage the team?

19. BrowningNagle

Woody was there already micro managing. celebrating with the team for a wonderful 8-8 season

20. BrowningNagle

you could also not give a blank check to a mediocre QB in Ryan Fitzpatrick because he won a few games and got you "close" to the playoffs. you could also try hiring someone with some clout in this league to run the franchise or coach the team instead of rookies for once.