Mac's legacy will be determined in 2018...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mainejet, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

That matters to Jets fans like yourself right now. If Mac gets that young up and coming staple, name recognition, franchise guy in 2018, no one will give a shit about Dak or Deshaun. Everybody wants to get upset about his misses at QB and really I tend to agree with you right now, but looking long term if he manages to find a QB (and that will or won't happen in 2018. I really do not believe he'll get any more chances after 2018. This is a very deep and talented QB class. there will be some franchise QB's tied up in this up coming draft), Jets fans will not care about Dak and any other QB that Mac missed on. Jets fans will have the guy the team needs and that is all that will matter in reference to Mac.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Dak looking like the best QB in the league right now

FJF likes this.
  3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Oh yes I forgotten to mentioned the Hack pick. That is on my board with lets say the missed Marino pick. MHO MCC should have been axed after whiffing on those picks :mad:

4. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Mac pretty much always goes pure BPA, at least in the first 3 rounds. After the first 3 rounds, I think he looks to fill needs. I think they tend to rank BPAs in groups of players (who are viewed as generally equivalent) after the first few rounds. If there is one player that they rank in a higher group than most of the players left then they'll trade up to get him if he's in a position of need, like they did with Shell. Similarly, if there's a bunch of BPAs in needed positions that are more or less equivalent, then I think they trade down if they get a decent offer. I think that's what Mac is looking to do.

As for Hackenberg, frankly I don't think we can judge him yet. We drafted him as a project, understanding that they'd need a year to fix his mechanics and his mechanics looked much improved in pre-season. Then they changed the offensive system and he basically had to start over this year in a completely new offensive system. Now, he's stuck with a coach that doesn't want to let him (or Petty play) because he'd rather start a 38 year old journeyman QB that gives Bowles the best chance to win games now, when games won doesn't matter. Hack is only 22 years old and he really hasn't been given a shot yet. Hopefully, either Bowles will start him or Petty soon or they'll fire Bowles and start playing them.

I think Bowles is going to be gone after this year. I think its obvious that he and Mac aren't on the same page and a new coach should be reporting to Mac. It's time to let Mac find a coach he believes in and who he can work with. I liked Bowles and while he's made some mistakes due mostly to inexperience, I think he has the potential to be a good head coach some day. However, Bowles continuing to play a 38 year old journeyman QB after its obvious that the Jets aren't going anywhere this year is tantamount to malpractice and shows that Bowles doesn't give a crap about the future of this team and, therefore, its time for him to go.

I think Mac will stay, but I think Bowles hasn't been extended because Mac wants to replace him and I hope Mac is successful in doing so.

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Mac passed on Dak to select Hack. For that alone I’d send him out back.

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

This draft will BE his 4th. get QB and get on that OL!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

I agree, but Dak don't look so hot w/out Elliot and a top offensive line as there are some injuries.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Dallas has done a great job masking Dak's inefficiencies. He was a 4th round pick for a reason - great run game and great o-line are a QB's best friends

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

They are good in their current systems. Coming to the train wreck called the Jets will not help them one bit and they'll both be really expensive. Smith in particular took a long winding road to Andy Reid. Bowles is nowhere near the coach or Reid.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Honestly, I agree with you. After he whiffed on the spending spree and selecting Hack he should have been fired. But Woody decided to keep him. No sense in complaining about that now? Get over it. You should have gotten over the Jets taking Kenny O over Marino as well? Not sure you'll ever be happy? ????

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

What is failed to be mentioned about such players as Prescott, Wilson, and Carr is that there were 31 other teams that passed on these guys too, multiple times before they were selected. You might say it's a difficult process.

The only pick that I look back at with scorn in recent memory is selecting Calvin Pryor at #18 overall instead of his Louisville teammate Teddy Bridgewater. Thanks John, your memory lives on.

boozer32 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Do I understand U R saying that because the other 31 GMs are idiots our GM must also be one as well? :mad:

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This title is a bit off. It should read macs legacy will be determined by what he does in 2018. It won’t likely be realized till 2019 at the earliest.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

If he ignores the OL this offseason like he has the other three, you will see more games like tampa bay. Yes we need a QB, but no QB can survive with a bunch of no names trying to protect him like the jets currently have. Dumb shit GM has yet to embrace that.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

I'll give Mac one major credit and that's selecting Marcus Maye. Easily Mac's best draft pick to date considering BPA / NEED and prospect.

boozer32 likes this.
  16. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

It's open to interpretation.
    But if you're specifically asking my views on this topic it goes something like this.

All NFL teams strive to be a winning productive team. Each one has their own individual hierarchy, procedural operations, and means by which they perceive and scout talent. Anywhere from algorithmic data mining software that calculates likely outcomes, to straight up watching film and taking notes. These team GM's have entire scouting departments dedicated solely to watching film, talking to players/coaches/associates (of prospects), collecting as much data as they can year round without stop. Millions upon millions of dollars are invested to facilitate such an intensive process. Multi million dollar salaries are given to experts to orchestrate such tasks. And yet, with all of these resources and data teams consistently make bone headed decisions in the draft or in FA which costs their team opportunities at success. Why you ask?

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Warms my heart to see how this Board has finally seen the light : THAT DRAFTING DEFENSE FOR 8 YEARS IS NOT THE ANSWER

i dont think that Mike Maccagnan can be that stupid not to ready willing and able to complete a FQB aquisition ...by tank record or trade up...gut says he grabs a OL as well

I am leaving this this Team as a fan if above actions are not executed...and I will take my memories of the greatest (Joe Namath) QB guaranteeing victory.........shocking the world .. then raising his index finger as he walked off that the JETS were the number 1 Football Team in the World!

18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

At least we got a QB worth starting that year.