Are Black QBs discriminated against in the NFL?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ColoradoContrails, Nov 20, 2017.

?

Are Black QBs discriminated against in the NFL?

1. Yes.

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. No.

33 vote(s)
    82.5%
  3. Maybe.

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

According to the opinion of Carron J. Phillips in his article today in the NY Daily News, as well as a lot of other people he references in the article, the MAIN reason that Tyrod Taylor was benched is because he's black.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...k-dilemma-clear-black-white-article-1.3645016

This isn't the first time this argument has been made, and each time it is, I reflexively push back. From what I've seen, black QBs don't succeed NOT because of their skin color, but because they don't perform well enough. But this column, and the lack of any evidence that shows a good reason for benching Taylor has me really questioning my previous assumptions. I don't want to start a "race war" here, but is there really a solid case to be made that the NFL actively (but of course behind the scenes) discriminates against black QBs?

2. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

It could just be that the Bills looked in the mirror, and realized what they are not, i.e. they're not a playoff team. They have 2 games left versus the Patriots, and a game at KC. Best case is 8-8. Much the way most of this board wants to see Petty or Hack get some time, McDermott may want to see what he has in the rookie, or they're trying to tank in order to be better armed to trade up for a QB.

I also don't know if there are injury guarantees in his deal, but I do know he has a $6mil roster bonus due early next year. If they want to move on with a minimal cap hit, they may need to wrap him in bubble wrap for the rest of the year.

3. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

The NFL/teams will play anyone who can win and make them money.
    Not reading the article. If you suck, you get benched. If you mouth off or not do what you're told, you get benched.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

If they have no intention of resigning Taylor, and the team is struggling, and they have a rookie QB who they want to get experience, it makes perfect sense to play the rookie who you expect to start next year anyways.

But it’s because he’s black.

Brook! and Jets69 like this.
  5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Just another excuse to bring race into something when it has nothing to do with it. I'm so sick of the media doing this. They grasp at straws to make ridiculous conclusions that aren't even correlated. The Bills are just an idiotic franchise. That's all there is to it. This argument is like saying that white running backs are discriminated against. Plus white QBs get benched all the time. The NFL is a difficult business, hence most QBs don't amount to much, whether black or white, franchise QBs are a rarity. Funny how nobody says anything until it's a black QB benched for a white one, but the dozens of times where it's been the opposite nobody even bats an eye.

#5 Sam Hammer, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    truthbtold and grkmanga31 like this.
  6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Warren Moon had an illustrious career despite being black, while playing in much more discriminatory times.

Tyrod Taylor's numbers might look decent, but that's like completing 3 yard pass when you need 4. Simply put, he didn't get the job done.

#6 Zach, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Jets69 likes this.
  7. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I know it's easy for me ( a white man ) to say no but I really think the NFL is past that. If you can produce you will play. End of story

Brook! likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

lol ... I don't think this is because he was black, but it's clear that decision was extremely stupid and it bit them right in the ass, that's how you lose players in the locker room especially when you are in the playoff hunt ... Taylor is a good QB, deserves better then Buffalo, but that's another discussion.

Freddy Mondo and grkmanga31 like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

except Tyrod didn't suck and he didn't mouth off. which is why the guy wrote the article.

I don't think he was benched because he was black or anything crazy. But you look around the league and see some pretty pitiful QBs playing, and see Taylor the one that gets benched, then you see how well his replacement fared and it makes you wonder WTF is going on

10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I usually stay away from posting anything political or racially related but that author and article is garbage.

Not everything is about race of politics but to some people they blame every failure or success on exactly that.

The truth of the matter is an NFL team will go ahead and draft and/or play whoever is the best player, and whoever gives the team the best chance to win.

I'm sure the likes of Jameis Winston, Mike Vick, Teddy Bridgewater, Warren Moon, etc., wouldn't have had the success or currently be playing and making millions if racism was a factor in who's playing.

Also, in terms of Tyrod, he's a good QB, but McDermott is a new coach and he wants to put his stamp on the team. Labeling McDermott a racist after he just traded for Kelvin Benjamin (black) is quite honestly irresponsible and defamatory.

11. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

So by Daily Snooze logic, since Bowles is NOT benched, Woody and Macc are not racists.

Good to know.

12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Bottom line really is that it's all about how well you play. If Wilson and Newton were playing like crap heap, they'd be benched also. Winston has had a difficult time of late but is benched only due to an injury to his shoulder. Prescot has shown to be human a number of times but with injuries to the OL and a missing Elliot, his job is safe.

Interesting to see what transpires in the 2018 draft with Lamar Jackson. Would the Jets consider taking him if he drops to them?

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I have no idea whether Taylor was benched because he's black but I'm fairly certain that's why Peterman got benched after the first half.

14. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say in this situation that that it is for sure the case, but i think Black QBs are more scrutinized it seems, look at Cam Newton, Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick. I would say it terms of being talked about in the media those guys are for sure up there. Whether its Cam and his media antics, Russ with his "fakeness" at times and even being drafted in the 3rd round he was extremely overlooked and obviously Kap with him not even being in the league anymore.

A number of players came to the defense of Tyrod Taylor after his benching and although he isn't a great QB he's obviously better than the rook and someone id gladly take on this roster. Idk i can honestly understand wanting to see the rookie play but it weirdly seems Buffalo has never loved Tyrod and were looking for him to fail to have an excuse to put Peterman in.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I voted maybe. It exists everywhere else in society, why wouldn't it exist among rich owners, HCs or GMs? I'd be very surprised if discrimination and prejudice wasn't involved, at least to some degree. I'm not saying that it was discrimination in this case, but I think it's entirely possible that it was part, if not all, of the reason he was benched.

It's probably also part of the reason why GB fans were hollering for the white 3rd string QB following yesterday's game.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

It's easy to say, "He was benched because he was black", and easy to say, "He was benched because he just wasn't good enough", but this makes me pause to really consider if those "easy" answers is all that's going on here. There's a lot of pretty shitty white QBs who hang around the league and earn a paycheck, while it seems like if a black QB isn't playing well above average, he's gone.

There's a lot of subjectivity -which isn't the same thing as racism - that's at play. And maybe this is controversy that just doesn't need to be given traction, but if there's something unfair going on, it should be addressed.

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. grkmanga31

Or because Brett Hundley is not that great and because fans are frustrated that the best QB in the NFL is not starting and thus their season is lost. Just like Jets fans go nuts when the starter sucks and we all want the backup).

Not everything is racism related IMO

18. ColoradoContrails

No, but maybe some things are.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. grkmanga31

Agreed. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist at all - it does, but the author of the article above is clearly trying to make racism the end all be all of QB/personnel decisions. That to me is a very slippery slope

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Dante stallworth killed a man driving drunk and went on to play for years afterwards,why? Because he could play. If anyone thinks someone is being held out for any reason other than they are not good enough they are not paying attention to how the league works

Peebag, Bellows1 and grkmanga31 like this.