Jets/Giants scouting Darnold/Rosen

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 17, 2017.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Good to see, but they damn well better be intensely scouting those guys. I tend to think Darnold stays in school and Rosen will be a higher pick than the Jets will have, but it's so early in the process that it's totally conceivable that Darnold enters the draft and Rosen goes outside the top 5. Plus, right now I don't see they two as being so far ahead of the others that the Jets need one of the two in the draft

NYJetsO12, Red Menace and LAJet like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

but wait until the game is officially over. Don't go having them thaw you out in the 4th quarter no matter how big the lead is!

HomeoftheJets, Red Menace and FJF like this.
  3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I basically agree.

IMO, Macc's biggest mistake thus far has been wasting a second round pick on a quarterback who sucked in college. Obviously, Watson looks like he has a chance to be a very good quarterback, but how many of us really wanted him at the time? I think what some people are doing, at least psychologically, is lumping in previous regime's picks with Macc's picks.

When you go back and think about guys like Kyle Wilson, Dee Milliner, and Quinton Coples, then all of these BPA-D jokes begin to make a little more sense.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

This is my best guess, as well

5. Ahh yes..but if you go back 10 years in draft history nearly every single year the “Best player available” has been a defensive player at the jets pick.In many cases it’s bc other teams in front of the jets ignored the big board bc they recognized where the league was going offensively & the Intangible value offensive players currently project that defenders cannot currently match w the rule structure

So all these first round picks on D & where has it gotten us??If you believe in best player available like MAC more power to ya..but I think at the end of the day most GMs believe in BPA..just some grade offensive players differently and/or or able to divert from blind “BPA” to recognize that offense & more specifically QBs have to be a focal point.They Either Trade up,Trade down or bite the bullet and “reach” to address the need to score

If you didn’t like the offensive choices at the picks we were selecting..why not Trade up or down to a more advantageous spot??You think we should just blindly go Defense every single year?Cause really that’s what they’ve done. At some point the big board “check all the boxes” beauty contest becomes a detriment..obviously you disagree but for many of us this is overwhelmingly abundant

It’s been a long long LONG time since the offense was a draft day focal point for the Jets.im not even talking about 1st round picks.I think its fair to consider the jets going D in round 1 even this coming year(although it makes me queasy to think about) so let’s not even make this about Round 1. When was the last post draft..Sunday evening when without argument you knew that scoring points & building an O were a major priority??If I pose the same question but instead include the defense how much does the answer change?

In my opinion I won’t believe anything has changed before I actually see it..and given this GMs stubborn draft philosophy & the HC’s apathy for a young QB or anything offensively speaking I’m not holding my breath

#25 KurtTheJetsFan, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2017
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

How right you are! I WAS pounding on the table for Macc to grab Mahomes or Watson, and instread he went BPA-D again. I know, I know Adams is a stud, but he could've had a great Safety (Maye) AND very possibly his FQB. It's water over the dam now, but I think Macc blew it, and that's why I'm skeptical of him getting it right this time. In fact, I wouldn't bet that he takes a QB as so many here are certain he will.

dogg, dmw, Brook! and 1 other person like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

That would be a bad pick from what I've seen of him so far.

#27 ColoradoContrails, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  8. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Jets will not have a chance for Darnold or Rosen, because they're going to win 7 games.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I get Watson but why the lamenting for mahomes ?
    He has yet to prove anything yet.

But now we would be all crying ourselves to sleep if we had drafted Watson.

JohnnyP123456 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Mahomes hasn't played because Alex Smith is having a career year in front of him, but he's got all the natural ability of anyone who's ever played that position. He's going to be a HOF'er eventually.

11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Lol. The kid hasn’t even played a regular season snap.

JohnnyP123456 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. He’s a really hard evaluation in all honesty bc the supporting cast on O has been mostly awful.Hes been under a lot of pressure,has had a good number of balls dropped & I suspect the WRs have a limited route tree which is why we don’t see him make a lot of different throws.

He’s got prototypical size,big arm,elite movement on drop backs & the perception is good intangibles. This fits in to the type of QB MAC has looked for..similar traits to both Petty & Hack. The one thing I have yet to see that Mac has looked for & is a requirement at MetLife is driving the ball down the seam.But that’s sort of back to the issue of whether his WRs can even run those sort of patterns..?

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  13. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

That's my point... Mac screwed up royally by picking hack in round 2 when most teams had him as a round 4/5 guy. Who is scouting him? the same guys that scouted Hack? Why would the Jets over-scout a marginal guy that other teams haven't bothered with so far? I see no evidence that Mac or his scouts have a clue as to how to properly evaluate a QB. I like a lot of what Mac has done but WTF is he doing with QB? Shitz patrick was a bad bad year 2 signing, he didn't pick a QB last draft yet neither Hack nor Petty are good enough to beat out the career back up McCown?

14. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Josh Allen is hardly a marginal guy. Many people think he has the most talent of all the QBs and Phil Simms said he was going to be a big time QB.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You know what would happen.

The Jets would win the AFCC game and get blown out in the Super Bowl. I'd have them tivo the game and wake me if we win.

I'm pretty sure they can't re-freeze you fast enough before the Jets make a shit pick in the next draft.

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That really doesn't matter to the statement he has it all to prove still, be interesting to see what the chief's do at the seasons end, they may offer Smith a new contract yet ?

Very early to be using hof in Mahomes future description, let him take a snap first ;)

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I can't see us starting a rookie next season no matter who we wind up drafting ... that just doesn't seem to be Bowles style.

My hope is to draft a QB and sign someone like Taylor to a team friendly deal where after 2 years we can release him with a minimal hit and hand over the reigns to the kid.
    Taylor could be had much cheaper then a Cousins or Smith and would still give us a legitimate chance to compete ...much better then an aging vet or resigning a 40yr old McCown.

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

They have changed the requirement for the HOF, all future players will be judged on their potential. They just inducted Trevor Lawrence out of Cartersville HS.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Darnold starts the season with some turnover issues on a team that lost 11 starters and TGG all but throws him overboard (sans yours truly..ah hem :D) and goes all-in for Rosen as the clear cut answer.

Then (as with last year) Sam 'x factor' Darnold channels his inner Brady and in his last six games:
    15 TDs, 3 Ints, 63.4 completion pct., 300+ yds. ave./game

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, Josh Rosen starts out with 16 TDs and 4 Ints in his first 4 games but then (as with last year) gets injured and sits out games while his numbers drop like a stone: last 5 games: 5 TDs, 5 Ints.

The guy throws a nice ball but also looks like "Mike Glennon" build-wise, meaning that while he'll be "arm package pretty" at the NFL combine, will he end up "handle with care" fragile on an NFL field?

[​IMG]

20. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Enough with the 'losing 11 starters' excuse. It's fucking college.