Which Jets free agents have shown they’re keepers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Nov 17, 2017.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Which Jets free agents have shown they’re keepers?

Link

https://nypost.com/2017/11/16/which-jets-free-agents-have-shown-theyre-keepers/

[​IMG]

By Brian Costello
    November 16, 2017 | 5:50pm

Finding the quarterback of the future is at the top of Mike Maccagnan’s offseason list, but it is not the only order of business.

One of the most interesting things this offseason will be seeing which of their own free agents the Jets bring back. They have some interesting ones to evaluate. We don’t know the asking price for each of these guys, but here are some of the free agents who have been solid contributors this year with expiring contracts:

Josh McCown, Morris Claiborne, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Demario Davis, Chandler Catanzaro and Kony Ealy.

I think Seferian-Jenkins and Davis are no-brainers to bring back. Both have been good players this season and good locker-room guys. McCown could be a great presence in the quarterbacks room if the Jets decide to draft a quarterback. He also could start the season if the rookie is not ready. McCown will be 39 and may not want to play any longer.

You can make a case that Claiborne, Catanzaro and Ealy all should return, but I think those decisions will come down to asking price and alternatives.

2. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Davis, Ealy & ASJ should all be re-upped.

Catanzaro is whatever. He's inconsistent, but does have a strong leg. Won't care if he's back either way.

Claiborne is a walking injury. I'd rather give $, and he's going to want $, to someone else and/or draft 1-2 CB's. I like Roberts as a starter. Burris is showing he probably won't be. Skrine needs to go. We'll see what Clark and Jones bring to the table in 2018.

Last but not least, McCown. He's done a better job than I and many would have imagined, and depending on how the QB situation unfolds this year, I wouldn't mind having him back in 2018 as a mentor to a young pup rookie. However, if someone the likes of Kirk Cousins or another veteran is brought in, I'd assume he's gone.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Subject to change with the next 6 games and if someone's contract demands are higher or lower than expected, but here are my opinions now:

Must resign: Davis, ASJ, Enunwa
    Should resign: Claiborne, Catanzaro, Ealy; depth: Tomlinson, Qvale, Bass, Brooks
    Consider resigning: McCown, Miles, Brooks, Dozier, Thomas, Middleton, Pennel
    Should go: Kerley, Carter, Harrison
    Must go: Johnson

#3 JetFanInPA, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  4. MurrellMartin

I could be wrong here, but I thought Enunwa was still under contract for 2018. Is he a FA or a RFA?

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Overthecap has him as a UFA for 2018

6. MurrellMartin

Interesting. Now that I think about it, I think they're right. They're usually spot on with everything.

The good thing with Q is I think we might be able to get him back on a 1-2 year "prove it" deal, due to his neck. Can't be handing him over millions of guaranteed $'s until he proves he can stay healthy. Plus, we all love him, but the numbers just aren't there for a big deal, yet.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Robbie Anderson & Jermaine Kearse.

I don't know if they're UFA in 2018 or not still they're the only "keepers" I see.

Davis, Claiborne, McCown, Jenkins are stopgap JAGs IMO. It's be a mistake to extend these guys for big(ger) money & multiple years after 2017.

8. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that there isn't more love for Ealy on this thread. He produces the most edge pressure on a QB we've had since Abraham. Mac should be offering him a contract right now. Pass rushers get stupid money on the free market.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

FJF and Burnz like this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I agree fully with this.

10. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

For me the no brainers are: Ealy, ASJ, and Davis
    Others that we should bring back Enunwa, Tomlinson, Qvale, Brooks
    Depending on how the rest of the season(NFL for draft position and College for who declares) maybe look at bringing back McCown, Catanzaro, and Claiborne
    Not sure if i've missed any others but these guys are the more recognizable ones for me

11. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Claiborne is a big problem with too many interference calls. He plays close and tends to hang on. He should learn to look back towards the ball so getting less flags thrown at him.

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Right now he is our #1 CB. While he may not be the best CB, ta nickel, dime, or backup he would be outstanding.