Mac's legacy will be determined in 2018...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mainejet, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

We will always link Mike MacCagnan to what he does at QB. That is going to happen in 2018. In a QB driven league it doesn't matter what Mac does with the rest of the team? He could be the very best GM in the laurels of front office management, if he does not get the NYJ a franchise QB, he will always be compared right along guys like Terry Bradway or Mike Tannenbaum or John Idzik.

This rebuild that Mac is currently performing will succeed or fail based on whether he can select a long term answer at QB. That answer will come in 2018. Odds are if he doesn't get the long term solution at QB in 2018, fans and critics will be saying forever that he's selected 3 QB's and all of them were terrible. That he was never able to solve the QB riddle. They'll be calling for his job because he's unable to get the Jets to the SB?

However, if he does get a franchise QB in 2018, the Jets will be in perfect position to continually get to the playoffs and possibly get to the SB. Mac could forever separate himself from those other GM's. He would always be more well thought of and respected in comparison.

As a result, the fans will be excited. The overwhelming thoughts from the fan base will be lets continue on this path. Lets see where this Mac guy can take this team.

If you select one QB and he doesn't work out, everyone doesn't really care. If you select two QB's and they both stink, the fan base thinks this is becoming a trend. If you select 3 QB's and all of them stink? The fan base says, 3 strikes, you're out.

With the draft be loaded with potential franchise guys. With FA quite possibly having a few attractive options for QB, 2018 is probably the most important year for Mac and ultimately what will determine his legacy.

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Very good point. This is the year for Mac to deliver.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This will be Macc's third bite of the apple. If he misses again, I don't think he gets a 4th. Macc has to get it done at the QB spot.

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about this,,,,,he swung and whiffed badly when he reached on Hackenburg , I just don't think they guy is a great judge of talent .

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I agree. 2018 is the year. However, I do think he gets too much blame for a 4th Round Pick (Petty) and a 2nd Round Pick (Hackenberg) not succeeding so far. If he drafted a QB in the 1st Round in 2015 and the 1st Round in 2017 and they both sucked I would get the hate and blame. I thought both were good calculated risks and still do. I would keep both for 2018 too unless they are just completely done with them, which is also fine, if they draft a QB in the 1st Round or sign someone like Cousins.

edray10, K'OB and JetFanInPA like this.
  6. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Mac will probably try to sign Kirk Cousins, who's nothing special, miss out and then go after Case Keenum and sign him. Same shit different journeyman quarterback.

7. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

I would take a chance on any Minnesota QB that hits FA including Kirk and Alex smith. This team cant develop a QB

8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Hackenberg was obviously a brutal pick (that everyone who watched him in college on this board hated), but I respect your point.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's why we should look at free agent QBs. Cousins and Smith are already good, so we don't have to develop them.

10. Good not great.And that doesn’t pay hardware in this league.

If the jets draft & hit on a QB & don’t develop him just like w Sanchez they don’t deserve success.

It isn’t 1995 anymore where you can sidestep QB development issues by pointing to the D & running game.It’s all about the QB & passing game.

Identify talent.Develop said talent.Surround said talent w protection & playmakers..No excuses.

11. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

One could argue that Mac has already proven himself in this 2018 years showing alone.
    What has he missed on in 2018?

If you break down his hits vs misses since being hired he's batting like .800 with room for that to improve.

Lets start with the elephants in the room.
    - Petty and Hackenberg. This is an easy one, Petty doesn't have a large enough sample size to draw a conclusion, and Hack has no sample size. Period. Stop saying this is a fail because the simple fact is no one knows.
    - Next Elephant, Wilkerson. This is another one that it's easy to create a narrative saying he spent last year coming back from a bad injury and this year battling through multiple ones. There have been flashes of the Big Mo who's worth 17mil/year but not hardly enough. For his contract I don't think the negotiation went in Mac's favor nor did the resulting play on the field after. I give this a :confused: rating.

- Brandon Marshall, trade/cut :):) (he deserves double credit for both acquiring him being a positive, and a well timed cut)
    - Eric Decker, cut :)
    - Sheldon Richardson, cut :)(no one thought this deal was going to get done and most thought we would recieve a 4th at best, we got a 2nd and a very reliable addition to our WR corps)
    - Jermaine Kearse, acquired through trade :)
    - 2nd round pick, from Sea in Richardson trade :)
    - James Carpenter, FA pickup :)
    - Erin Henderson, FA pickup :) (basically resurrected this guy from the ashes who came in and made an immediate impact)
    - Brian Winters, resigning :)
    - Bilal Powell, resigning :) (he has done all that has been asked of him on and off the field, quality personified)
    - Dexter McDougle, traded :) (received: Terrance Brooks, 3 PD's / 2 INT's, he has contributed. McDougle was cut by the Eagles)
    - Calvin Pryor, traded for Demario Davis :) (Pryor was days away from being cut when this deal was struck)
    - Demario Davis, acquired in Pryor trade :) (ranks 3rd in the NFL in tackles!)
    - Kony Ealy, off waivers :)
    -
    David Harris, cut :) (emotional move but it proved to be the right one)
    - Nick Mangold, cut :) (another emotional move but it also was well founded)
    - Josh McCown, FA pickup :)
    -
    Morris Claiborne, FA pickup :)

It's not all been good.

- Darrelle Revis, contract extension :mad:
    -
    Ryan Fitzpatrick, negotiations/extension :mad:
    -
    Buster Skrine, contract :mad: (he should have never been given the size contract that he got)

I wanted to put the drafts in their own category. I saw no reason to grade some of the later round picks as they are flyers anyways.
    2015:
    • Round 1: DL Leonard Williams :D
    • Round 2: WR Devin Smith :(
    • Round 3: OLB Lorenzo Mauldin :mad:
    • Round 4: QB Bryce Petty :rolleyes:
    • Round 5: G Jarvis Harrison
    • Round 7: DL Deon Simon
    2016:
      • Round 1: ILB Darron Lee :)
      • Round 2: QB Christian Hackenberg :rolleyes:
      • Round 3: OLB Jordan Jenkins :)
      • Round 4: CB Juston Burris :(
      • Round 5: T Brandon Shell :)
      • Round 7: P Lachlan Edwards
      • Round 7: WR Charone Peake
    2017:
      • Round 1: SS Jamal Adams :D
      • Round 2: FS Marcus Maye :D
      • Round 3: WR ArDarius Stewart ;)
      • Round 4: WR Chad Henson ?
      • Round 5: OLB Dylan Donahue ;)
      • Round 6: RB Elijah McGuire :)
      • Round 6: CB Jeremy Clark ?
      • Round 6: CB Derrick Jones ?
    I'm not sure what more you could ask for from a GM placed into the situation that he was in. For the first year of his tenure several of the questionable moves "he" made has Woody's stink all over it, so I give him a pass on some of the contract issues. Other than that he has done better than most GM's in a situation the 99% of analysts and even the majority of fans gave this team zero chance to succeed this year and if you look at who the main contributors are in 2017 for the Jets they are a product of the moves that Mac has made.

#11 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    stinkyB, tubby, Brook! and 7 others like this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A nicely put together reply, well done on a good read. :)

I also agree with most of it so that helps of course lol

Brook! likes this.
  13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

DarrelleRevis. Human? Wrote: I wanted to put the drafts in their own category. I saw no reason to grade some of the later round picks
    I'm not sure what more you could ask for from a GM placed into the situation that he was in. For the first year of his tenure several of the questionable moves "he" made has Woody's stink all over it, so I give him a pass on some of the contract issues. Other than that he has done better than most GM's in a situation the 99% of analysts and even the majority of fans gave this team zero chance to succeed this year and if you look at who the main contributors are in 2017 for the Jets they are a product of the moves that Mac has made.[/QUOTE]

Excellent thought out analysis - enjoyable reply. I agree with just about everything .

One thing worth mentioning or reinterating I should say - 2017 is really the first year of this " rebuild ". Mac was told to go for it when he was hired hence the FA spurt in 2015. I feel like now especially with Woody in the UK this is Mac's team and his plan is slowly coming into focus. He has made a lot of shrewd moves and as you've outlined most of his draft picks have been decent . Yes he swung and missed on Hackenberg but he probably realized there was more of a chance the pick will fail then succeed and figured the calculated risk was worth the chance. I can overlook that especially considering his other picks look like hits as of now.....I am very anxious and looking forward to seeing what he does this coming offseason.......

14. Mainejet

You could be right, but I'm certain this debate will be settled after this off season? As has already been pointed out, this will be Mac's third go around at securing a franchise passer, if he fails again I don't believe he gets any more opportunities. If Mac selects another Mark Sanchez, he'll get fired soon after. It doesn't matter how good of a talent evaluator you are if you can't find good QB's you'll always be compared with the likes of Mike Tannenbaum.

dogg and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus 20 million

All the talent in the world acquired at other positions doesn't mean sh*t to me at this point....a lot of those players he got e.g. Stewart and Hansen don't even see the field because of Toilet and his Vets

Get a mint college QB and beef up the Ol or seeya

16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I don't think Mac will be judged necessarily on bringing in a franchise QB this year. I think it will be about turning this offense into something that is at least middle of the pack in the league. We have other holes like RB when Fortes gone, a true #1 WR, and most of the offensive line that can also be addressed this offseason. We have a functioning offense with Morton as the coach, but we need actual talent there for us to get far.

With Lee coming into his own (he is way better than last year), the only terrible pick in Macs drafts has been Hackenberg. If he didn't have such a high profile prospect we would have just chalked it up to Mac trying but failing on a QB prospect. I realize that BPA is Macs philosophy, but realistically, the only thing we really need on defense is pass rush and a lockdown corner. If those aren't the BPA then Mac should just draft offense this year.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Er have you forgotten about the never made Dak & De Shaun Picks?:mad:

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Wins: 19 :)
    Losses: 23 :(
    Playoffs: 0 :(
    Super Bowls: :mad::mad::mad:
    QBs drafted: 2 :cool:
    Good QBs drafted: 0 :oops:
    Better than most GMs: :rolleyes:

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Nailed it. This is Mac's big chance to right the ship. He will have a plethora of options in front of him. He needs to get the guy.

dogg likes this.
  20. Mainejet

I'm not talking about this year, I said 2018....