Your Owner: El Cheapo

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

How many years have I battled some of you about this?
    Your team should be spending money trying to WIN not saving it for a rainy day.

Some of you act like it's your money and act like we have to keep clearing space.. for what!?? for Who!!?
    We never fucking spend it!!

We should be BIG players in the next coming years in the FA market...i mean HUGE....
    I don't wanna hear any BS about not signing FA. It's time to make this push now that the JETS have been dismantled.

Here are the numbers:
    ENJOY :rolleyes:

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

How many years were we up against the cap, having to restructure half the team? How many years did Tanny scratch big checks so we could win free agency?
    Woodys made some questionable decisions but he is not cheap. 1st time we are near the top of the list for cap room and he gets called cheap, jet fans.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In general, I agree with you, but TBF, Woody has spent money at times...just on the wrong things. This is where his biggest failure - not hiring a bona fide Pres. of Football Ops to run things comes into play. To me, that's where failure begins with this team. You can have a dumb owner, as long as he does one thing right: hire a guy who knows what he's doing and then stay out of his way.

But the biggest proof that he's a cheapskate, and has saddled this team with the mantle of "Second Class Citizens" is in agreeing to share a stadium with the Giants. That was all about making him the most money, and not an iota of understanding - or care - of how that impacted the Jets.

If he were really serious about making the Jets winners, he would open his checkbook and sign the absolute best person to be Pres. of Football Ops, and then give that guy the checkbook and tell him "Spend whatever you need, but build a winner". Does anyone think that George Steinbrenner would've accepted this poor-to-mediocre track record for even three years, let alone 40+?

4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

This is cash spend though, it's not the same as cap hit. We released a ton of vets and didn't make any big signings this year. Wages went down and no signing bonuses. It's hardly surprising that the cash spend is low really.

5. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

What a crock of shit this is? Tanny put this team in cap hell, which resulted in 2011 and the Jets falling from the playoff scene. Idzik started the finances headed in the right direction. Mac has managed to put this team in great shape moving forward. They'll always have money so they can be big players for free agents that are the right fit. They won't spend like shit faced sailors, they'll sign FA's according to good scouting and realizing what the team needs and cannot get through the draft. It's a smart way to build a team. If their strategy works and results in a SB, the entire league will be looking to copycat what the Jets front office managed to do.

It's smart to have plenty of cash reserves when you're in the process of building the team through the draft. It provides a lot more freedom for the GM to make moves that are most beneficial for the team.

JetBlue, NYJetsO12 and Jets69 like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

holy crap, pack another bong my man

Royal Tee likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Having a lot of cash to spend in FA is very similar to have a very high pick in the draft. If you fck it up, it doesn't really matter where you picked the loser or how much money you spent on him as the result is the same. Woody spent cash, but didn't spend it wisely as he left it up to Tanny. Then he left it up to Idzik. Now he's left it up to Macc. I think it wouldn't hurt the Jets to hire another Cap guy and honestly, a Qb guru to scout and advise Macc at the combines AND on draft day. Macc is 0 fer 2 and we really can't afford him to go 0 fer 3. He has to get it right this time or he hasn't earned a 4th bite of the apple.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

OP has memory loss.

[​IMG]

JetBlue, Jets69, NYJFOREVER and 2 others like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

cause we had cap issues and cut dead weight to do a full rebuild. just like idzik did in 2014 and in 2015 we spent like crazy

10. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Mods, another stupid baseless thread. Please close it. Oh, wait........

JetBlue, Jets69 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Woody is cheap. It's not just in players. Actually this isn't even half the story.

We have rookie head coaches and rookie GMs every cycle because it is far cheaper to do that. Woody is never going to pay for an established football guy

12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

This was a rebuilding year where we couldn't win it all. There was no point in wasting cap space.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Which established football guy did he skip over? I don’t recall any top names. I do recall him paying the same head hunter firm Seattle used to get idzic and I am sure casserly and wolf didn’t work for free on this last cycle.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that we shouldn't be below the spending floor. Otherwise, I disagree. Look what happened the last time we were below the floor and had to spend a lot of money in FA. A lot was spent on overpriced over the hill FAs.

We should be active in FA signing younger, cheaper players who are on the rise. Hopefully, we can find a starter or two for the offense, and several depth players who can increase competition and improve depth, but imo we should not sign ANY older, over-the-hill, expensive FAs. Since the team was undergoing a rebuild, and wanting to develop the younger players, there was no point in bringing in older, expensive FAs this season.

It is NOT time to make a push. That's ridiculous imo. They still have too many holes and don't have a QB. They need to fill some holes and add a QB before they even begin to think about making a big push for the playoffs.

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Tee, youre my boy and all but this is not your brightest moment bruh

Dierking and Royal Tee like this.
  16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

That's a given... :D

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  17. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

That's pretty much Mac's approach. When looking for a free agent to fill a hole, rather than going for the great player established veteran on the downhill with a bidding war by 3+ teams he generally looks instead for a good younger player that's a good fit for the team (both style and personality) and gives him a guarantee of 2 years or less so the team can avoid taking a huge cap hit by cutting him in the future if it doesn't work out. There have been a few exceptions, generally home grown talent - notably Revis, but the secondary was such a disaster when they brought him back, that maybe it could have been worth the ridiculous premium they paid (it wasn't). He also overpaid for Wilk, but Wilk at the time was a homegrown star with a bright future - I didn't think it was a good deal, but I thought it was understandable. I think Mac is generally willing to pay for homegrown talent that has been successful here (figuring there's less risk I guess).

One of the reasons I think Mac may become a very good GM is his reluctance to give aging stars huge contracts. The best teams rarely do so.

18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Trade for Andrew Luck.

19. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Until you have a Pro Bowl caliber QB on the roster, spending it is meaningless. It's actually unhelpful.

20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Every team has years where they don't spend a crapload of money. It's perfectly normal and it's actually refreshing considering the Jets normally spend all the way to the cap needing to restructure numerous contracts in the process. Plus they get some carry over to next year. Historically the Jets have not been cheap. Spending a lot this year would have been pointless since they are trying to develop their young talent. Signing a bunch of vets this year wouldn't have turned the Jets into a playoff team and would keep younger players from seeing good playing time.

NCJetsfan likes this.