Josh Allen 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That was it, size and arm. Also mobile. He can make throws none of the QBs in this class can make because of his arm strength. It's Stafford / Flacco level. His release is quick as well.

He has regressed however, his team isn't very good either.

2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Another polarizing prospect - 6'5 has a cannon of an arm, and when he rolls right on play action he is absolutely money. A bit concerned that I have not seen a lot of read progression from him but nowadays with college offenses - going through progressions is becoming rare.

He is extremely mobile and taking him down is very hard which is why some analysts liken him to Big Ben.

He plays like his hair is on fire - very quick, frantic, gets the ball out very quickly and I think he shows he's more likely to throw the ball away if there's nothing there. Seen that happen quite a few times in some of his game tape. He has tossed a lot of picks this season which is concerning

Also, he throws darts and never takes anything off of his passes. Lasers on every drop back

His completion percentages are also below 60% which is not great.

#22 grkmanga31, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I get that his team is bad and many see rare tools in him, but even despite this, that he's not performing at a high level at his competition is concerning. Unless he starts dominating, how can a guy that's performing this way be a high 1st round pick? I'm trying to find a balance between accounting for his surrounding cast versus making excuses for bad play...

Red Menace likes this.
  4. grkmanga31

Yep. It's easy to get caught up in blaming his teammates because the variation in talent level at the college level is very very wide. He needs to calm down out there IMO. He plays really really fast and that's all fine and dandy if its working but for me it was as if he was playing with no internal clock, get the ball out super quickly.

He is the most physically gifted prospect IMO, but that cannot be the reason he gets drafted.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With both Rosen's and Darnold's stars dimming due to flaws in their play, I think the QB rankings could vary wildly from team to team, and those will probably be heavily based on individual team workouts. For instance, with Allen, they'll probably have heavy interest in his work in the film room and white board to determine his football IQ. In his onfield workout, they'll want to see how coachable he is, and if he can adjust and take something off his throws. I don't think the latter will be a deal killer, as Brett Favre was noted for breaking his receivers fingers and not having any touch on his passes for much of his career, and I'm not sure that ever changed.

How is a player supposed to dominate, when he doesn't have any talent around him? A QB has to have someone to throw the ball to he has confidence in, he has to have RBs who can take pressure off of him, and he has to have an OL who can keep pass rushers off of him and open holes for his RB. No man is an island, and no QB can win on his own.

6. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Allen is fun to watch, I see the Cam Newton comparisons. He had a really good game last night.

Check out this play from last night. Unlike McCown, this kid can get out of trouble (too bad after all this he was a yard short of the 1st down) https://streamable.com/y7cef

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I am loving the comical attempts by the D to recover the loose ball at the end, it is a good job it was declared dead as their efforts are fairly laughable :D:D:D

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Josh Allen update, Nov. 4 vs. Colorado State:

10/20, 138 yds, 0 TDs, 0 Ints

9. rockyusmc2003

I watched this game. Take his numbers with a grain of salt, his offense is dismal.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good point. With Allen, I think how he is rated will depend upon private workouts, how his football IQ pans out on whiteboard and film work, and his play last year. I think they almost have to throw out this year's games because he has no one around him on offense.

11. rockyusmc2003

He makes some stupid choices. But, I think he's trying to make too much happen at times. It's almost embarrassing how bad the team around him is. Luckily, he doesn't play THAT many top programs to drive his dick in the ground; and he should make it our of this season alive.

He will need a year of seasoning in the NFL.

12. 101GangGreen101

Just heard on the radio, Jets very interested in Josh Allen ...

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I should do even more research on him, but I just have a bad feeling about this guy... With all of these tools and lack of production (apparently due to poor surrounding cast), I can't help but think of Hackenburg

14. 101GangGreen101

The production has been dreadful to say the least. Physically, this kid can scramble, so while I wouldn't compare him to Hackenberg, I am a little worried about this selection as well. The tape doesn't show anything encouraging.

15. grkmanga31

Allen has all the physical tools to be a great QB, but I too am worried as this is too much of a boom or bust selection and with a 1st round pick, I don't think this is the safest pick Macc could go with. Now, although interest and visits may correlate to Macc being high on Allen, it also may very well mean that he's just doing as much due diligence on top prospects in order to ascertain which QB he wants the most.

Personally, Allen is very erratic to me and although his supporting cast doesn't help, he also has to be scrutinized for his play irregardless of who's on the field with him.

I want to watch more film on him to confirm some things, but this is worrisome IMO

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

His completion % really bothers me.

xxedge72x likes this.
  17. grkmanga31

18. 101GangGreen101

If you are tall and have a rocket arm, chances are the Jets are interested... let me go ahead and change my avatar

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Draft Allen and sign another JAG vet while we redshirt Allen. Foolproof plan. What's the definition of insanity again?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Dom Betts

Dom Betts New Member

Josh Allen reminds me of Hackenberg. It's the footwork. His drops are trashy, his throwing form has a release point inconsistent with his shoulder placement. Inaccurate

Remember how everyone said Hackenberg would've been better if he had more of an NFL ready team around him those last years at Penn State? If his coach hadn't left? Same thing with Josh Allen this year. He'll be a bust. I hope they go with Baker