QB Coach Bates

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Nov 15, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

What I said to @K'OB applies to this as well. So far, Mac is 0-2 in finding a QB. Perhaps things will change after this year. I am willing to wait and find out. Maybe you aren't.

FJF likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

To be a meritocracy, first you need to have merit.

LAJet likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

The fear is that what's obvious to the entire world, is completely oblivious to the Jets.

LAJet likes this.
  4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Which is why we should be EXCITED that the QB Coach, at least, recognizes it and is willing to call it what it is.

5. ColoradoContrails

You're right, I'm not willing to wait for Macc to do more OJT. He's had enough chances to demonstrate that he knows what to do about the MOST IMPORTANT POSITION (MIP) on the team, and actually he's 0-3, if you include Fitz, as you should. So, on every chance that he's had to get a QB capable of making this team a consistent, SB contender, he's whiffed. And he went into this season with a 38 year old never-been, and two guys who can't start. No, I'm done waiting for him.

6. ColoradoContrails

I have no problem with what Bates said, but he's not the decision-maker. And I wouldn't be surprised if he's let go for saying what he did.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

Spotlight is absolutely on Mac this time around. I don't have an issue with McCown starting, but Mac does indeed need to find an answer. I think the FO has been looking a lot this season so far.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Hell not sure what has happened in this thread, I have always championed Hack first time I go a bit non positive and I get flamed for it lol I spent most of the summer arguing about giving him a chance.

Anyway we have drifted off topic, the only point I was trying to make was about the quality of the QB coaching, to me it doesn't look brilliant from the outside, who actually knows what goes on behind closed doors, if we are being truthful after two years I would have expected Hack to blow McCown out of a job, that is why it is minimal improvement btw, not one person on this site thought McCown was anything but a joke who wouldn't even last 5 games before injury, in fairness he has played well enough but the reasons he has been a back up all his life are patently obvious to all of us.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

what is this comment all about ?

My boy Mac ? WTF ?

Did you not read my post further up saying it wasn't about them playing but about the coaching and him coaching our future QB's, why do you keep bringing Hack/Petty back into it and now they aren't good enough again, I thought I just read you saying they had improved when you were talking to another poster, make your mind up.

10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

That's fine. I'm not happy that we have no QBs, and I'm not happy that we have a front office, personnel department, and coaching staff that has left us with no QBs. I am happy that somebody wearing a Jets logo recognizes the reality of the situation. It's a very low bar, but it's been a while since we've made it over that one.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

But hack has improved from last year, petty has too. That doesn’t make them good enough to start but it shows the coach is doing his job. Also mccown is having his best year since Chicago when he was working with bates . So, bates knows how to get the most out of bad players.
    When a project goes wrong it’s usually either the builder or the materials, this case it looks more like the materials

Jets69, LAJet, hwismer and 2 others like this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

So again, you don't think they were being coached up after all of the reps in TC / preseason? They haven't improved enough to warrant playing time that's all I am saying. They were coached up. Instead of blaming Bates, you should be questioning the validity of the pick.

13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

They gave Hackenberg all the reps in preseason games. McCown played the first game and Petty played the 3rd game. petty outplayed both and still didn't start the season. So it wasn't an open competition it was to give Hackenberg the most chances to win the job and he blew it.

LAJet likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

so they gave the 2nd rounder every shot to grab the job and he failed. Petty had every shot to grab the job in those 4 games last year and failed. He didn't improve this year to the point where he could challenge McCown.

so yeah lets fire everyone

FJF likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not really.. Last year the team had already quit by the time Petty got his "shot". NO Qb could have succeeded in that situation. Locker room was toxic, Oline couldn't block kittens and played like they couldn't GAF. He never got the opportunity to show how much he improved this preseason because the GM wanted his guy to win the job so the "competition" was rigged from the outset this year. In spite of all that, Petty still outplayed Mackenberg but because Bowles despises him, he never stood a chance. I forgot what the snap count was but everyone including the Media knew it was a sham. I don't think Petty ever played a single down this year with the 1's. It wasn't about Petty at all and never really was.

Going forward, I won't try to convince you that the QB competition this preseason was as sham or the team had quit last year by the time Petty got the ball. I won't even go into the lousy game planning Gailey came up with for Petty during those 4 games either.. It would be futile and I really don't have the time to waste. I won't try to convince anyone else that Petty can play either. I'm done. I'm just gonna light a candle and pray that Petty gets the hell outta here sooner than later. I'll just let you Petty hating savants go on basing your opinions on what the CS says in the media and what you "saw".

Thank God Petty is out of here after this upcoming season and I hope one day he drops 400yds and 5tds on the Jets with Bowles having a ring side seat. If Petty is stupid enough to think he has a future with the Jets, then he deserves to be shit on. After looking at his Jet career so far, he should be used to it.

#55 Cman68, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    LAJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

I'll look forward to the day Petty throws for 400 and 5 tds. But Petty didn't show enough to warrant the reps that's the reality of that situation.

Hope for the best and get ready for a new qb

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

17. Dom Betts

Dom Betts New Member

Yeah I will say that this article post wasn't the best this writer has had. There's a lot better posts on there

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The bold statement is a huge misleading state of facts and I know you know it. Petty had an excellent preseason this year. Petty last year was not given a chance, yet he played better in those four games after the team quit on us than that sorry ass overpaid useless QB also know as Fitz. Yeh, the Fitz that we paid thru the nose because it gave Us the better chance to win. Thank you fucken Todd.

19. 101GangGreen101

I don't think it is misleading to say the least. Petty did not play well in those 4 games. That's not even looking at it from a statistical standpoint. He had no command of the huddle, couldn't identify the defense and over targeted Anderson. It appeared to me this year, he didn't take that HUGE next step required to challenge McCown.

Again, you can blame Todd all you want, but at the end of the day Fitz was given the deal from Mac.

Jets69 likes this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm good with that. They certainly showed no progress to come back next year. Only the Jets and only Jets fans want to keep hot garbage around expecting it to smell better.