QB Coach Bates

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Nov 15, 2017.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

To me Bates has done a great job. He is working with a 38 year old journeyman qb and has made him play well. He helps decide the gameplan and what would be best for Mcnown and has helped Morton not expose our weak center. As for the development of Petty and Hackenberg. I want to see them play. There's a reason they are not playing. Petty had a few games last year. We all saw. He can't prepare the line for their protection. You saw it when he got crushed by Suh and Wake. Do you remember the New England game. We got smoked. He isn't prepared to be a starter. Maybe a backup but not a starter.

Hackenberg. We saw this summer. He is awful. The only reason he is on this team is because he was a second round pick two years ago. He wouldn't be here if he was a later pick. He showed nothing this summer and probably shows nothing in practice. If he is lucky he plays the last game of the year. Petty will get a few but Hackenberg maybe one. After August 2018 he won't be on this team. Besides being awful if he were to play he would expose the oline more and he would either get hurt or someone else because of it.

Bates is doing great with what he has been given. Hopefully he stays next year and help grooms a rookie of a free agent pick up.

2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

How much coaching does McCown actually need? I think it could be said any individual could be the QB coach when you have a 38 year old playing QB.

Bates job should be evaluated by the progress of Hack and Petty. That might be hard to do because both apparently suck. The best way to determine if Bates is worth anything is to see how he handles the 2018 QB situation with a young one.

But knowing us, we will have either Alex Smith or Eli Manning for the next 5 years.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Unlike the Jets' previous QB coaches, this one seems to be able to recognize shit QBs and call them out as such. That's a major step in the right direction, one that some of TGGs posters should seek to emulate, rather than ridicule.

FJF likes this.
  4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with you. Mulligan year this year. Knew what you had with McNown. Any of the youngs guys improve he looks great. Any don't and you can't judge him. Want to see what he does with one of the young guys.

I don't think it will be Eli for us. Smith or Tyrod Taylor is what the Jets will do. It's fun being a Jet fan. We'll never get a qb. Never draft offense. Just defense. At least it seems they got it right with Adams and Maye.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Wait? What? We are not a triple A team? Could have fool me by the offensive game plan last Sunday and those intelligent game time adjustments that were made? Against an absolutely dreadful pass defense team non the less we couldn't manage a decent passing attack for 4 freaking quarters.
    And those idiotic penalties over and over, week after week. Yep, that's all on the lack of talent.
    Oh wait, that must be an indictment as to how bad Petty is, otherwise they would have played him.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If that is the case I would expect to see all three QB gone by year end.
    If McCown is the best we have, then we have nothing.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We do have nothing at qb but at least 1 of petty/hack will be in the roster next year. There’s still a salary cap you need that cheap labor

LAJet likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

There was an earthquake in Iraq because Petty sucks.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That really isn't the point, I will try again on a slightly different tack...

Would you be happy for this guy to coach our brand new and shiny future FQB from the next draft ?

I wouldn't based on the fact the previous two QB's have shown minimal improvement and nobody is that bad that they can't show a little improvement.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think my point absolutely is revelent here.

When the Jets draft a new qb, they will give him a shot as long as he proves he's ready. So yes I feel happy Bates is here. Your 2nd paragraph is incorrect. See Paxton Lynch from Denver. No legitimate starts.

I think my point stands

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

11. K'OB

Oh well, I will bow down to your greater intellect and never question our coaching levels again, I mean I will never beat Paxton Lynch as a retort.

12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

bates' point is that in aaa, hyped prospects routinely play over better players ... his comment implies that the jets are a meritocracy

FJF and MoWilkBeast like this.
  13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

On what basis do you say Hack and Petty have shown minimal improvement? They looked significantly better in preseason to me and most observers. Sure, McCown won the starters job and has kept it, but this hasn't been the McCown everyone expected. He's been playing like you would expect an experienced, able, admittedly limited, QB. Just because they haven't been able to displace him doesn't mean they haven't improved, it just means that McCown at present is better. No disgrace there really given how McCown has performed.

NCJetsfan, hwismer, LAJet and 3 others like this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

If you aren't good enough you won't play. How that requires great intellect is beyond me.

You can always question the coaching staff, but I can't question the handling of Hackenberg. Question the selection sure.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

15. K'OB

And that is all I was doing btw.

It isn't always about playing is it, it is about improvement or improving season upon season, Hackenberg has blatantly not improved despite being trained by somebody what 5 out of 7 days a week training ?

Yes we can simply brush that off as Hack being shit or you can question the coaching as well, obviously I would question the coaching myself but you are happy enough with him because ????

I wouldn't trust him with a new QB prospect and have him ruin/not improve them in the slightest, I simply just can't believe it is all about Hack/Petty being shit, I have been a football coach I have seen kids improve week on week with decent/good coaching, this guy gets paid to do what ? Hand the playbook to Mccown as that is the only coaching he needed at 38yo, you are certainly not fixing anything else as blatantly evidenced in the last game.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're half right. They gave Hackenberg everything he could've wanted to prove himself, but he didn't. Petty got some attention finally after they realized just how bad Hack is, but it was an afterthought...like "Oh yeah, what about hits guy?"

For me it boils down to this: the MOST IMPORTANT POSITION (MIP) on the team is QB, and in that area, Macc and Bowles have failed. They've not shown anything in three years that proves they know anything about the MIP on the team, and if he had an owner that knew anything about building a winning franchise he would fire them.

Going into this season with two QBs that they knew weren't ready to start, backing up a 38 year old journeyman with an injury history is one of the stupidest decisions I've seen this team make, and they could fill an entire Hall of Shame with them.

17. ColoradoContrails

The blind faith in Macc, Bowles and his CS here is astounding! What have they done to prove they know what they're doing in building a WINNING team? I'm with you K'OB, I damn well AM questioning this team, from the owner on down. Until a loud minority, if not a majority, of fans join that questioning, we're going to be stuck with a dilettante and his piss poor underlings running his "hobby", which might well make him money but isn't going to win anything.

18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Yes. I would hope that is obvious to the entire world.

The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem.

LAJet likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

Hack and Petty did improve, but not to the point where they are starting over McCown. They aren't better then him, therefore they shouldn't start them. I don't believe in handing people things.

I trust him a lot more in comparison to the previous regimes like Schottenheimer / Lee QB coach. I am willing to give them a chance. I think you are trying to assume what Bates does on a daily basis, and I believe you aren't understanding his full responsibility here. You have no idea how much teaching goes on in the background.

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe Hack and Petty just aren't good enough? You don't need to see them play in order for the regime to make a decision on them. Sorry your boy Mac didn't pick the right QBs. You should focus your displeasure in that more-so.

FJF likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, like it's fun getting your wisdom teeth pulled without anesthesia.:eek: