My biggest fear: Alex Smith becomes a Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Nov 14, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I can just see it happening. Especially considering that the Giants will likely have a top 3 pick and draft Rosen or Darnold.

The Jets will trade their 2nd round pick to the Chiefs AND hand him a big fat extension to try to sell to the fans that they are ready to compete.

Alex Smith would be a DISASTER here. He can only function with great coaching and superb talent around him, and the Jets do not offer either as currently consititued.

I’m begging Woody to stick to the plan and continue to add pieces to the roster until a QB is found. There is nothing wrong with bringing McCown back on a one year deal, and drafting another QB to compete with him. I can’t argue that Alex Smith isn’t a capable QB, but if he was good enough to win with Andy Reid and Jim Harbaugh wouldn’t have drafted QB’s to replace him.

NYJalltheway, harts24 and Jets_Grinch like this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The first Aqualung thread i agree with*

*aside from the mccown part

3. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

They can dump McCown, but will need to add another short term vet QB that will work on a one year deal. Perhaps call the Vikings and take any one of their three.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

No reason to dump McCown if they're only gonna bring in another Vet unless McCown tries to break the bank. At this point in his career, I highly doubt McCown is gonna jeopardize his situation by asking for too much money as I'd like to think Macc won't get in another bidding war with himself and lose like what happened with Fitz 2.0

ColoradoContrails and JetFanInPA like this.
  5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The Bills just announced that their back up Nate Peterman will be starting this week against the Chargers. I guess they are ready to move on from Tyrod Taylor. I wonder if TT becomes available this offseason and would the Jets be interested. Kind surprised by the move considering the Bills are in the playoff race. Either the coaching staff knows this team isn't good and won't make the playoffs so play Peterman and see what the rookie can do or maybe they think he is the better option at this point then Taylor.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I had some interest in him last offseason for the Jets, but at this point he's an average QB in his late 20s. The Jets need to draft a QB very high or sign Kirk Cousins. If they want to look at Taylor as a bridge so they don't throw the rookie out there too soon, I would consider that.

Alex Smith? Yeah that would be a very Jets move...

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Alex Smith = Neil O'Donnell

Unfortunately Todd Bowles does not equal Rich Kotite so we'd go 6-7 wins and blow the back to back 1 picks that Kotite gifted us.

ColoradoContrails and rikj99 like this.
  8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

This is where I wish the draft came before free agency. If we drafted a qb first then we would know that we don't need a player like Smith. If we didn't get a qb then I'd be more open to him. I think the only free agent I'd be happy with is Cousins. After that draft. As for Tyrod Taylor I'd be happy with him but feel his time as starter might have passed.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

To be fair, we blew the back to back 1s too

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. FJF

No way the union would ever let the draft come before free agency for just that reason

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Why would they need to sign Mcown or another vet?

This idea that a vet is a must has to be put to rest, a vet backup does what for a team?

Vet backups have already proven that the most they can get for a team is 3-5 wins, that can be done with a rookie QB, it's not rocket science.

These guys hang around the league for years and it's the same crappy cycle. Draft young QBs and continue to develope them until one of them becomes the FQB a team needs.

San Francisco had Brian Hoyer who led them to a 0 win mid season record, Niners said screw this got rid of him and put in a rookie, they won a game with a rookie.

I'm not saying that the rookie will be a great starter, all I'm saying is that a rookie accomplished the same thing that a veteran backup did.

Vet backups are overrated and are not needed from what I have historically seen in the nfl.

#11 Red Menace, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

please for the love of God, no Alex Smith.

Give my Taylor instead, they benched him

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

No and No! Not Smith or Taylor from Buffalo and anyone other team's throw away. It is time the jets drafted a real QB and drafted/signed some real offensive lineman to protect him. McNown is not the future but no QB on the planet could have done much Sunday with the mediocre Tampa Bay DL totally abusing the jets cast of scrub free agents and late round picks the jets call an OL.

Newyawka, ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  14. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Alex Smith is too young to QB the Jets

15. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

To me, the combination of acquiring Alex Smith as a short term solution while a youngster is being tutored up, would be alluring. Alex Smith has played better and better as his career has gone on. I think that type of acquisition would position the Jets for long-term success. I'd be most interested in the young kid they draft to sit and be an understudy most obviously. I also would not like to see a 2nd rounder utilized to get Smith. That's way too much given what he'd be used for. But if Mac could acquire him for a 4th rounder? Count me in without hesitation.

16. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

Would you be ok with the following scenario? We trade a 3rd rounder for Alex Smith. We draft a QB at 1, and another project QB at 6. We use our two 2nd rounders to upgrade the OL. We trade Hackenberg for one regulation football and two practice footballs. McCown stays on as an advisor.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'd rather re-sign McCown, and potentially target Thorson in round 1 depending on how the rest of his season plays out.

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

My biggest fear is that the Jets sign Eli Manning. I could deal with Alex Smith, but the Jets need to be drafting a QB and trying to trade up if they aren't in the top 3, which is very likely.

19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i have to respecfully disagree with you on this one. throwing away picks on other team's discards and rejects is NOT the way to do a proper rebuild.

JethroTull likes this.
  20. FJF

sign f.a. alex smith, do not trade for alex smith. don't think the chiefs will cut him though so moot point

JetBlue likes this.