Josh mccown starting confirmed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Laxg41, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Mcown has played like a triple A QB his whole career, what the hell are these guys talking about?

Then he follows it up with they will be ready if called upon, ready for what? Hand the ball off to Powel and Mguire so it can be called back by a holding call on Winters?

Bowles has seen his young QBs for 2 months and Mcown for 10 years, Petty must really suck if he can't beat out a 38 year old who's on the verge of being out of football in 2 years.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Why hasn't Petty been released yet? What possible reason could there be for keeping him? Petty has already been deemed awful by the HC and the GM only invested a 4th. It makes no sense to keep the worst QB ever to wear the Jet uniform.

Why is Petty on the team at all?

NY Jets68 likes this.
  3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

McCown has played well for the Jets - but he is what he is. He is a really good back up QB, spot starter. He isn't a QB who you can contend with. Bowles will either stick with him the whole way - or put Petty in or Hack when we're mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

Now, if he opts to start him the rest of the way, despite being eliminated from playoff contention, then I would say that not only are Petty and Hack not held in high regard (I think we all know they're not already), but Bowles is coaching for his job and the likelihood he's back next season is slim.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  4. grkmanga31

Macc and Bowles have been mismanaging roster spots, particularly at QB, their entire tenure here. Look at last season, we had 4 QB's on the roster, when Hack was a red shirt- Petty was 3rd string, Geno was back up, and Fitz was starting. This is what happens when you can't solve the QB problem

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Yes, the sheer lunacy of a coach saying both "This is professional football. This isn't Triple-A" and "I believe he'll be ready if called" is absolutely mind-boggling. If the last two years isn't a complete indictment of the entire Jets management from top to bottom I don't know what could be. I think Mac has done quite a few good things, but how can anyone think that he is competent to decide who the future QB should be? Or that Bowles and his staff are competent to coach that QB?

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don't believe a QB who leads a team to a 6-10 record or 5-11, is playing well. if I were a GM I wouldn't even worry about who the backup is. Seriously it's so overrated it's not even funny.

I would put a young QB as a backup and keep on drafting and developing QBs until I found my FQB.

Mac should adjust his priorities, focus on the oline next draft and a young QB, release Mcown and have a serious conversation with Bowles about starting and developing a young QB.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Josh is on a short leash. Trust me on this.

Jets play Panthers, Chiefs, @Broncos and @Saints. Jets are guaranteed to come away with 4 Ls. We will see what Todd does at 4-10.

8. grkmanga31

McCown has been a big reason why we've looked competent at times and the reality is our roster isn't talented enough to seriously contend, nor is it well coached enough to do so either. Bowles is a big reason why we are what we are.

Maccagnan wanted Hack to be the starter but even I, a Hack supporter, can see he's just not ready and I'm unsure if he ever will be. Petty being the starter in a few weeks is much more likely, but even then there will be nothing to play for.

Bowles may not be safe for next season so having a serious conversation with him regarding future QB's on the roster may not even be necessary.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A one that is bowles-less and then we may actually see one of them :rolleyes:

10. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

Let's be perfectly clear about this...Petty doesn't need more reps to confirm that his ceiling as a QB is holding the clipboard. Hackenberg is either not ready, or will ever be ready. McCown gives this team the best chance to make the playoffs. If we had a mobile QB on the bench, I might change my opinion. With our Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide offensive line which can either be adequate or swiss cheese, putting Petty or Hack behind center is a recipe for disaster.

FJF likes this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Ssshhhh, you’re being rational

@Brook! statues quo? Not familiar with those statues quo

hornblower likes this.
  12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The Jets obviously don't think that the backups are any good. With the present offensive line problems they would have no chance. The off-season cap space and the draft can be used to upgrade the offense. Fortunately the Browns seem to like their young QB and the Niners traded for one so the Jets will have a shot at getting a good prospect in a QB heavy class.

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

@FJF

Woody would be the happiest man on earth if all Jet fans were like you. McCown better than Hack and Petty? YES. Will McCown carry this team to playoffs? NO. So any harm starting Hack to see what he can do on the field? If he does good then we have a good QB in our hands for at least the back up QB job. If he fails then we will get a high draft pick. Starting McCown and going 7-9 or 8-8. Who will gain from that other than Bowles? See, I also have logic. You and @HomeoftheJets . Come at me bro. Lol.

14. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I can guarantee you one thing: this team is not going to the playoffs with McCown. You can bet the ranch on that. I'm not buying into the Bowles's spiel about winning with a 38 year old that never was and never will be a field winner. Sorry, his career record doesn't justify the very remote playoff hope possibility.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  15. Cman68

Then why is Petty still on the roster? You have ZERO proof that Petty can't play. All you have is 4 games from last year in which the entire team had quit and the locker room was toxic. Even with all of that, Petty managed to win a game with Gailey as his OC yet he can't play.

What proof do you have that Petty can only "hold a clipboard" ?

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. And beyond that it’s about the FUTURE of the franchise. The fans are tired of the same song and dance every season;Like we all expected this season is no different.Lifeless play not to lose,situationally inept conservative football that seemingly goes out of its way to win meaningless late season games against equally deficient opponents which destroys the notion of ever changing the narrative.

Fans want to know that this is not the standard for success..that the goal is something more fulfilling. That starts w a QB.While Petty/Hack May not be the long term answer..playing them at this juncture tells the fans that the regime cares about the future & understands what needs to be done moving forward.

Abhorrently it appears Bowles is more concerned w nabbing 1-2 more meaningless wins to save his job than he is about the team’s long term chances or showing the fans w real actions that they understand the frustration & have their eyes set on change. I wonder if Bowles even thinks the team needs to change other than bringing in more veterans & defensive talent.

It’s a real kick to the crotch for those of us that want real change in the near future

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He's holding clipboard this year all right.

18. They need a QB to ride the bus at AAA London.

OT:The Jets soonafter their inception had a minor league team called the Orbits..They started in Waterbury CT & then to Bridgeport. Maybe Bryce wants to take a trip to the Beardsley Zoo on his off day

Cman68 likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The terrible result would be the regression of players like ASJ and other receivers not named Robbie Anderson. Last year, that's all Petty did, despite having players like Q, all Petty did was key on Robbie and throw him the football. You are risking regression, that's why Petty / Hack ain't out there. They flat out suck, and I think McCown being the professional he is, has helped some of these young receivers.

Petty / Hack aren't long term options, Jets CS sees these guys perform all of the time, fans don't need to determine who plays. Just like I told someone else, why else would Mac be all over the country scouting QBs?

FJF likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You don't need a top pick in the draft to get a good QB prospect. Hasn't Derek Carr or Watson told you guys anything? Kirk Cousins? Telling the young players to roll over and tank is the absolute worst advice I have ever seen. Stop kicking the young players like Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye in the crotch.

FJF likes this.
  21. Cman68

Not sure why either. No point to it now. Petty's presence on the roster is just a colossal waste. Doesn't do the Jets any good and does nothing for Petty's development. Then again, Petty's entire 3 year stint here has done nothing for his development.

#60 Cman68, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  22. Who said anything about tanking?Im just saying play the kids at QB so we know if there’s anything there & to show at least a Speckle of an eye on the future. Mccown accomplishes Nothing in the big picture.

ColoradoContrails likes this.