What a difference a year makes...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Taken from today's NYPost:

https://nypost.com/2017/11/07/todd-bowles-deserves-credit-for-big-coaching-upgrades/

Totally agree with this. Morton and Bates pretty much have transformed the offense which IMO, was the most important part of the team that needed an upgrade. The Secondary was next and Dennard has accomplished the mission of bringing our twin safeties up to NFL speed.

Not a Bowles guy but I have to give props when due. Now with all the upgrades around him, perhaps Todd can improve on his game management skills and adjustments over the next year or so.

NYJetsO12, Brook!, Jets69 and 8 others like this.
  2. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I don't think Toilet is a very good HC at all. In fact, I think the Jets will be much better off with another HC.

That said, most of us thought 2017 would be an even more painful extension of 2016? In reality, what it has turned out to be, is very similar to last season. In other words, in terms of wins and losses the Jets are pretty much neck and neck with last season. However, I think the team is more talented and most definitely on the rise. This teams loses games that you can chalk up to rookie mistakes, lack of a veteran presence? Whereas, last season they lost games because of several factors that had very little to do with rookie mistakes.

But there is also this optimism that has swept over Jets nation? The fan base thinks that the future looks bright. I tend to agree when you see this team has already won 4 more games than I thought they would. When you see them have so much cap space to sign FA's with.

But for me, I think this rebuild would be much more successful if Toilet got fired and someone else was brought in. Toilet does not know how to make in game adjustments. The very second momentum is stolen away from this team, Toilet is helpless. Being a HC is all about strategizing and counteracting what the opposition is doing for 60 minutes. Toilet knows how to play for about anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes and then he's done...........

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Also tend to agree with you. Bowles is receiving praise from all over where I don't think its actually warranted. Morton is the one who needs to get the praise. The only reason I would want Bowles back is because I do not want to lose Morton as our OC.

NYJetsO12 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  4. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

GOOD point. I've complained about play calling at times, but for the most part John Morton has led the Jets offense through a total metamorphosis. This offense is clearly the most pleasant surprise to come out of this season. The defense everyone knew was pretty good coming into the season, but the offense is where most thought this season would sink into the abyss. But I also feel compelled to mention ST as well. That unit has also played better than it has in at least 3 seasons..........

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I agree

Brook! and The Dark Knight like this.
  6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Still not a Bowles guy

7. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

For as long as Bowles makes progress, I will support him. He has shown me just enough to want to see him back for another year. You can't teach having your team ready to play. He has got that down. He has gotten more aggressive at times, at that is an improvement. If he tightens up his clock management, he will be just fine.

8. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

The same media members who predicted the Jets were going 0-16 and Bowles was the worst coach in the league are now saying he deserves votes for coach of the year...I really can't take any of these people seriously anymore...also the Jets are now smart for clearing out the aging vets who were locker room cancers when a few months ago they were a clown franchise for getting rid of all their best players....drives me crazy.

Mogriffjr, Newyawka and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Man that's absolutely what happened in the Jacksonville game!

Bowles is doing a good job, and yall are running out of reasons in terms of why he can't be successful.

Mogriffjr, Walt White and FJF like this.
  10. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

John Morton and Jeremy Bates have helped the Jets offense immensely. On defense, I want to shake Kevin Greene's hand...he is a great motivator!

NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

Really now? I guess starting 2 rookies @ safety for the first time since the merger hasn't worked out? His Kevin Greene coaching acquisition did nothing to help the linebackers? Bowles job is to get the best coaching staff here, and Bowles has accomplished that with flying colors. Team is playing hungry.

I hate Jet fans sometimes.

BudJet, Walt White, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Under that logic Marvin Lewis would be the best coach of all time then.

NYJetsO12 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

not really

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In my impatience to see the Jets finally return (and win!) to the SB, it's easy for me to lose sight of the progress being made. Also, as a Jets fan for 55 years, I'm conditioned to getting my hopes up that they've finally turned the corner, only to discover that it was into a dead end. So, I'm not nearly ready to declare them on the right path, or having the right people in place, but I will at least enjoy the progress over last year.

I don't think Bowles is the right guy, but while I would've fired him last year, and still think they need to replace him, I'm resigned to accepting he'll be the HC for at least another year. If they draft a potential FQB - and they had better! - and Bowles actually develops and plays him, then I would hold out hope for him. But if he just goes with McCown (or whatever scrub vet they sign next year), I will be done.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying their more energized play, and being in games with a chance to win them. But I still find myself "wanting my cake, and eat it too": For them to play well and improve each week, but wind up with a high draft pick. If I really have to choose, I'll choose winning every time, but I sure want them to be able to draft a FQB.

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's gonna piss some people off here, but bowles is in the running for coach of the year currently

16. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

ummm....we're 4-5 and could finish with double digit losses again.

I ain't tooting anyone's horn on the Jets coaching staff until the end of the year.

17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

They have played a lot better than I thought and it is fun to be in the playoff mix although like most I don't think they will make it. The only negative is we are doing this with McCown and he isn't the future. I realize as long as the Jets have a shot at the playoffs then McCown will be playing. The Jets really need to find a long term answer at QB regardless of how the rest of the year goes.

18. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i still stand by making morton the hc and kevin greene the dc. in-game adjustments are just not being done on defense, hence the 4th quarter collapes and giving up points at end of games with leads. playing prevent defense but letting teams march down the field to score touchdowns is just counter-intuative.

SOJAZ likes this.
  19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Ty-D-Bol's will be back next year...

Bunch of fans will be all backed up

Oh well. What a shame

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Dolphins and Falcons games still happened. I think with proper coaching the Jets win those games. I also think 2016 was so bad, it is not that hard to look better in 2017 if you are Bowles. All I can say is he hasn't sealed his fate as FIRED yet. I don't think he has done enough to be safe yet either.