Toilet Bowles has got to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Nov 27, 2016.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Bowles should have been fired last season. Mac has done an awesome job of shedding the expensive veterans and bringing in Josh McNown. While I think Sheldon Richardson is an incredible talent the trade is looking better every day.

While I expect the young guys to devlop and improve there is a very good chance that we could lose out last three consecutive games. If that happens I could see Bowles getting fired but I am not holding my breath.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

@ColoradoContrails @slimjasi @MoWilkBeast Great points. It's a unique position for Bowles too. Usually 3 missed playoffs in 3 years mean you are fired. The Jets overachieved in 2015. Set up high expectations and then severely underachieved in 2016, and now overachieving in a complete rebuild year in 2017. I also agree replacing Gailey with Morton was huge. People forget that MANY said the Jets would not even field an NFL caliber offense (That includes all the Jets Beat Writers during Training Camp). Instead, it has been the strongest unit on the roster overall. I also have not been a fan of Bowles, but really how could you be? The Jets have been a mess for awhile. Hopefully they are righting this ship.

3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

It is pretty remarkable. We were supposed to be the worst football team in NFL history, supposed to go 0-16.

I knew that shit wouldn’t happened. I was a little worried, but we have def overachieved. This always happens though.

Media shits on Jets = us proving everyone wrong.

Media loves the Jets, predicts big things = we shit the bed.

slimjasi, The Dark Knight and Jets69 like this.
  4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I think they’d have to be absolutely terrible for him to get fired. I think we get 3 more wins; I haven’t been a Bowles fan but 7-9 or 6-10 definitely deserves another year. You have to see if continuity leads to continued progress. Starting over again, if not with a proven coach, isn’t the way to go.

Nesquik and MoWilkBeast like this.
  5. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

You think he gets fired at 4-12 or 5-11?

6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Absolutely, but I'm not seeing the same type of things this season. When the team exceeded expectations in recent times they stayed largely injury free and won a lot of close games, often with breaks going their way, but got blown out a lot in other games. Then the come down season where they had some key injuries, didn't get the breaks and lost the close ones while still getting blown out regularly. That was certainly the pattern 2013-14 with Rex/Idzik and 15-16 with Mac/Bowles and from memory the last two Rex/Tanny years were similar. I don't get the feeling that this season is following the same sort of pattern, not at this point anyway. It may end up that way.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

losing 7 in a row to end the season, or going 1-6, would justify a firing.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

We hated picking 2 Safeties, it worked out so far

We knew nothing about Morton but its worked out so far and he's growing as an OC

Sometimes as fans we gotta stop being so reactionary and let things develop.

Look at Lee and his growth, he's taken huge steps this season, this is why I haven't given up on Hack and/or Petty. I look at Kirk Cousins and see what he's developed into and I see both being able to be just as good in time if not better.

Nesquik, Walt White, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Truth! It does seem to always go that way.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

True enough, but we're the Jets. As Jets fans we've been well-conditioned to see things go wrong, "can't miss" players miss badly, and this has transcended GMs/CS for decades. We fans are a strange mix of pessimism and perennial optimism.

11. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Whether Todd is rehired next year is all about progress not wins & losses. I feel so far he has gotten the team to play hard & progress. Every game they have gotten better. I say unless he looses the locker room & they digress , Todd will be back next year.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Bowles has already saved his job. this discussion is moot. We are more than halfway through the season. The team plays hard every week and has overachieved. Bowles will be back

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If Bowles was able to make it through the off-season he's got virtually no chance of getting fired now and I earlier predicted he'd be gone after Tampa Bay with an interim guy getting the bye week to help get ready to finish out the season. Unless Bowles has a relapse and completely falls into a coma, he'll probably be back next year. Am I the only one who saw him actually talk to an assistant on the sidelines and maybe even grin a bit the other night?

Having said that, I'd like to see a change in the trend of second half scoring trailing the first half by 11% and points allowed in the second a whopping 37% over the first.

14. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

It's always been this way, and unfortunately, it feels like it always will

15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Bowles is not going anywhere nor should he .
    I'm not a fan of Bowles at all and wanted him gone after the season , but the way this team has responded to him and comes to play every game , no way they let him go.

16. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

The team is moving in the right direction. I hate some of Bowles in game decisions but it would be a mistake to fire Bowles or any of the coaching staff after this season.

17. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

This is the key! This team isn't great, but it's playing very well, and it's playing the same way against good teams and bad teams.
    Usually when the Jets are good, they're not actually good--they steal a couple of games from really good teams, blow one or two against clearly inferior teams, and eek out more wins than losses against the average teams.

Just look at the box scores-- the Jets are mostly winning the 1st-through-3rd quarters, and mostly losing the 4th quarter. That's what happens when a team is doing everything right, but simply doesn't have the talent/depth to stack up for the entire game.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  18. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I would be lying if I said I loved Bowles coaching. He still has rough edges. Too conservative with his play calling, game management skills.... but the fact that he's won the locker room back and redesigned his coaching staff more than makes up for that. He's earned his extension.

19. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I don't think Bowles is a good HC, he hasn't shown he can lead a playoff contender, get vets to buy in and he's making the same mistakes over and over. Yes, he's improved the D scheme a bit but other than that I don't see much improvement in any phase from him.

The thing to remember with him (or any HC for that matter) when you shed vets like the Jets did, the young kids will buy into what the HC is saying no matter how much of a tool he is because they need to prove themselves to the league, not just the coach if they expect to get a second contract somewhere beyond their rookie deal. I like that they are playing hard but I don't think its because he's a great coach it's because he's dealing with hungry youth.

I have no idea whether they'll bring him back next year but it's possible this weeks game could decide his fate. Given a mini bye and going up against a vastly under-performing team he could make his case to stay this week. If he loses and they finish 4-12 I think he's gone. The question is will 5-11 get him a pass? Other than this week I really don't see another win unless Denver falls completely apart.

If they ruin their draft status with 5-6 wins and need to sign vets at key positions will these vets disregard him like the last batch did or will they buy in too? I see nothing to suggest vets will buy in. Time will tell.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

thursday was a great example of his progression as a head coach. Buffalo has a rookie head coach who is doing a really good job. But Thursday night games are difficult to prepare for. Bowles' team was far more prepared and ready to play on thursday night it was obvious. Even a guy like myself who never really liked Bowles could see that clearly. He outcoached the rookie in a big way.

Bowles has more improvements to make sure but its clear the staff is doing a much better job this season. Now you could say that the improvements might be a result of the new additions to the coaching staff like John Morton on offense. And that might even be true more than anything. But an important part of a HC's job is finding the right assistants. So even if you are in that boat you have to acknowledge Bowles has done a good job.

FJF, MoWilkBeast and Walt White like this.