Netflix TV Shows Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Great American, Apr 2, 2014.

1. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I'm new to Netflix as of this past summer.
    I loved stranger things, having grown up by montauk. Can't wait for season 2.

I mostly like documentaries etc.

Winter on fire was a good one. City 40 was cool too.

Walt White likes this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Watch Restrepo if it's still available.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I finished the 10 episodes in about a 5 days, excellent show. Hit a slow patch in i think episode 7 where they got too much into both agents personal life but that was only part of 1 episode. Out of 10 hours only about 15 minutes where I was thinking, get back to the real story, so overall excellent.

Another decent show on Amazon was Bosch, based on the books by Michael Connelly. Fortitude is another on Amazon
    Pretty good movie was "What Ever Happened to Monday"

#43 The Waterboy, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Walt White likes this.
  4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, I liked Bosch. It got better and better I thought.

Haven't gotten around to WEHTM, but will. Also Manhunt, about the pursuit of the Unibomber...reviews were good for whatever that's worth

I enjoyed Ozark on NF...pretty wild.

5. The Waterboy

I watched the Unabomber but hadn't brought it up since that was regular tv, saw now that is in streaming though, really good show. Hoping they have some more in the Manhunt series planned.

Started Ozark but it kind of trailed off for me and couldn't hold my interest about 5-6 episodes in, going to try and watch it bit more to see if I can get back into it.

Edit: And Bosch is coming back with season 4 early next year, they are filming now

#45 The Waterboy, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I bailed on Ozark after the first episode. Manhunt was good. Mindhunter is next on my list.

Just got into Stranger Things. I like it but it’s the 80’s feel that makes it interesting. Without it I don’t think it would be as good as the plot and exposition isn’t terribly engaging on their own merits.

7. Walt White

Finished up Mindhunter last night. Thought it was very entertaining, and well done. Can't wait for S 2. There's so much material to be mined in this subject. The writers and production are great. They incorporated so much from the true stories and the characters and actors are terrific.

The Holden Ford character developed into an all time favorite of mine as the show finished up, and I guess you could say is based on John Douglas. That interrogation scene of Devier was a highlight. Watching the reactions of the other characters was great, lol.

Having already been very familiar with the early Behavioral Science Unit prolly made it particularly enjoyable. Part of it all was how the work they did with some of the sickest demented people one could imagine affected them. Robert Ressler said that it was like entering an abyss that could consume him, and that there was a fine line between the likes of Kemper and 'normal' people, himself even. Ressler was the one that Kemper fucked with in an interview, btw.

I believe the individual scenes before the start of each episode were glimpses of BTK, and may be in future episodes?

#47 Walt White, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  8. The Waterboy

Confused me at first, didn't know if you were talking about Manhunt or Mindhunter, of course then you mentioned Holden.

Yes, plenty of material to keep this going for years if the writing hold up. And more are coming up all the time, they think we have a serial killer down here in the Tampa area, 3 people killed over the last 2 weeks.

9. Walt White

Oops, sorry about that, Lol, I'll fix that. I saw that in the news about Tampa. There's some incredibly bizarre people out there, and there's been a scary amount of these people walking around in society now. They're warped sociopaths without the feelings and empathy that other people have, and they're in plain site in everyday life. It's a dark subject.

The Waterboy likes this.
  10. The Waterboy

Was just reading up on it and I guess season 2 is going to go into the Atlanta child murders. Looks like it will be airing next October

11. Walt White

Wow, that should be interesting. Roy Hazelwood discussed that case in his books. In one of them he finished off by saying he felt that the case wasn't totally resolved. If I remember correctly he said that there could be more to it than just Wayne Williams. I don't remember the particulars but I even emailed the co-author Stephen Michaud asking about how they left it in the book, but he didn't return my email. That kinda pissed me off, lol.

The way they handled Williams, and the trial, was really interesting tho.

I wish it wasn't so far away.

12. JetBlue

Recommendation — stay away from Stranger Things. F’ing awful and overrated and when you strip away the 80’s setting the plot and characters have nothing interesting about them.

Even the creators must know this and just beat you over the head with 80’s elements in season 2 to distract you from the fact that the rest of the show is a POS.

13. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I haven't started season 2 yet, but season 1 was truly amazing. Idk if you're criticising the second season, or first, but the first season was a classic.

14. JetBlue

Both. I’ll persevere through the 2nd season but the first episode was bankrupt of anything worth watching.

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Is Netflix going to have an episode about diddling on House of Cards?

#55 jetophile, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  16. jetophile

Haha, you slay me. I'm going to start a thread about classic movies that everyone is supposed to love but I don't. I have several in my arsenal. I won't be liked by anyone ever again.

17. jetophile

^HOLY CRAP, they canceled it?! WOW. I had a whole thread started about Spacey (yesterday) and Weinslob (a few weeks ago), but didn't do either because both were lengthy. What's shocking to me is that people are shocked by this.

For the record, I believe wacky Corey Feldman. Good going Anthony Rapp for coming forward, blessings to you. Bryan Singer is crapping his pants, I'm sure. This isn't a Fatty Arbuckle thing, who had his life ruined when he wasn't guilty; but anyone who didn't think Hollywood was a petri dish for sexual abuse is out of their gourd. More later.

#58 jetophile, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I also bailed on Ozark after the first episode. I did eventually go back a month later and it was semi decent.

19. jetophile

mute likes this.