Leonard Williams is NOT the great player we thought he was

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 15, 2017.

1. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

You're right, we should just cut him.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Just because I noted that he's not a GREAT player, doesn't mean that I don't think he's a GOOD player. He is. But he's not a great 3-4 end.

If anyone would like to share an NFL Rewind account or a way to go back and watch games I'd gladly break down where Leo is lining up every play. I just don't see him getting doubled every single play like everyone is stating.

He IS getting doubled. But to say there aren't any plays in passing downs where he doesn't have the opportunity to make plays because of double teams is ignorant. He isn't JJ Watt. Nor is he Reggie White or Bruce Smith.

He would be breaking those doubles and making plays like those players did.

Anyway you slice it, one sack in 15 games is bad. We still don't have a defensive line sack this year. That's inexcusable for a line sporting two first rounders and another decently paid nose tackle.

I just hope we recognize it and don't revisit Wilkerson's deal with him. $10 million/year at most is what I'd give him. No more.

In Wilkerson's peak he was getting doubled and getting sacks. Teams were not doubling Harrison on passing downs and I believe I heard a statistic where he and Sheldon did not record sacks when on the field together. I can't vouch for that with facts but I remember hearing it.

94Abraham and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Playing like he has the past 15 games, he won’t get paid much.

4. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Pretty good game so far.

Royal Tee likes this.
  5. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

there can be no legitimate argument that Williams isn't playing like an average DE at best this season. There are 60 defensive linemen that have 2 or more sacks this season year to date. 60! He has 0. He also only has 20 tackles. The guys stinks right now

6. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

34 defense 50+% of the time and we are complaining about d lineman? GTFOH with this thread

7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Seems like Williams' best play so far was shoving Darron Lee out of the way so he wouldn't tackle a girl. Wait, what? That was over the Summer? No way, I saw it Sunday, I swear it.

8. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i just get annoyed when i see other players around the nfl wreck a game by being so distruptive and Williams and Wilk do nothing special. Please, everyone who post about being out of postions, 3-4, 4-3 blah blah it doesnt matter, they both are playing interior snaps and both of them stink at it.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Aaron Donald has 3 sacks in 6 games in the 3-4 defense that he's never played in, in his life. He also just came back from injury after week one. He certainly gets doubled every play.

Mike Daniels has 1.5 sacks in 4 games for the Packers in their 3-4 defense. He's also absolutely WRECKED the game against the Seahawks where he had his 1.5 sacks. He's getting doubled.

Matthew Ioannidis has 3.5 sacks in his first year starting for the Redskins. He might not be getting doubled as much but he's producing more than Wilkerson is who is clearly not getting doubled.

Bennie Logan has 1 sack for the Chiefs. Allen Bailey has 2 sack for the Chiefs. Chris Jones has 3.5 sacks for the Chiefs. Surely one of them is getting doubled at times. I guess you can take that away because that have Houston as a threat on the outside.

Jurrell Casey has 2 sacks for the Titans. He's far and away their best player. He gets doubled.

Being double teamed is not simply an excuse for not producing. Neither is some phantom injury. If he's ok the field, he's expected to produce or he shouldn't be playing. Maybe he really does have a badly injured hand. But he hasn't played nearly as good as he should or is capable of.

10. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Still waiting on his first sack. I wonder if he’ll even get one this year at all. Part of it is the secondary that can’t cover outside of Claiborne but he just isn’t producing like we all expected. Solid player but definitely overrated by Jet fans. (As they seem to overrate a lot of players)

11. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

Let’s be fair to the guy he was awesome first two yrs. and we really have no idea how bad that wrist injury really is. All your leverage comes from your legs and hands and if his is bad no wonder why his play has dipped