Jets rebuild is ahead of schedule...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You can still suck for many years and not build a winner. Look at the Padres. The Pirates sprinkled a couple good seasons in there the past couple years but they've been pretty awful for the better part of the last twenty years.

You have to develop your high picks in order for any of this to work. Some franchises are not good at that.

The Braves, Phillies and White Sox are doing it right now. The White Sox have the best farm system in the league right now. We'll see if it turns into anything and they can develop those prospects.

The Yankees did it without really tanking for high draft picks. We loaded up our farm system with the Miller, Beltran and Chapman trades, but it's not like any of those prospects were the contributors that made this team go here. Sanchez, Judge, and Bird are all homegrown. Didi was acquired in a minor trade that worked out because we developed him.

Sorry for derailing the thread. It's pulling teeth to get people to talk about baseball over in that forum.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The difference between a blue chip prospect making a mistake and a 4th rounder making a mistake:

The blue chipper is given leeway because he needs experience. The 4th rounder is simply deemed not good.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Folks, none of us are witnessing Jets practices are we? If Petty/Hack were actually better than McCown would that not show up in practice? If they were improving would not the coaching staff notice this? Before Brady for example could take Bledsoe's job he had to earn the 2nd QB spot. When he first joined the Pats he was their 4th QB in the depth chart. He actually moved up the ranks.

McCown is most likely starting because he is the best player the Jets have at QB and is best at running the offense. QB when it all said and done is like any other football position that you need to earn through practice and preseason. Honestly has either Petty/Hack shown anything that makes any of you think they are any better? They have all the time in preseason and practices to perfect their craft and beat out McCown.

I am just trying to put some reality here. Sure maybe McCown is not the FQB you want, but playing an inferior person at QB does not make sense. There is a mob mentality to always start the other QB when your not happy with the starting QB. You can blame Bowles and his staff for many things, but not having a FQB is not one of them.

As for Jimmy G, yes he is not experienced as a Cousins. But I can tell you he is the best backup QB the Pats have had during the Brady era. He is also better than any QB you have right now. One thing I can say is Jimmy G when he is on is very explosive. In 2016 his QB rating was 113.3 which is not to shabby. Yes it was a small sample size. He is a good deep passer actually better than Brady in this area. The Browns offered a 1st round pick for Jimmy G and the Pats said no. Either they know something or they are really dumb.

I would love to see the jets get a FQB but its not so easy. The Patriots went many years between Plunkett/Grogan to Bledsoe/Brady for a QB. Look around the league and you will see FQB are not easy to come by. Look at all the QBs that started great that are not so great now, Russell, Newton, Griffin III, and so on. I think the Jets would be better of going through the draft and if they want a high priced free agent QB, they better improve their OL. Do you need a FQB to win a championship? No, but it sure makes it easier, ask the Broncos.

4. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Imo practices have been ruined by the recent CBA less reps means less meaningful time to learn and show yourself to your coaching staff

FJF likes this.
  5. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

If this team had a franchise rb we would have won at least 2 of the games we lost. An above average/great rb takes a lot of pressure off of a young or in our case old qb. We have 3 average rb's. When they llay big...we win. When they are mediocre...

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Not disagreeing with you I just don't like it. I like drafting players and teaching them and coaching them up. Dropping a player because he had a bad year is Moneyball. Sustained winning like the Yankees in the 90's and 2000 is not Moneyball. Not a Yankees fan but admired how Steinbrenner spare no expense getting a player that would help the Yankees win. Contrast that with Charley Finley who had a dynasty in Oakland but was so cheap that he traded them all away. The Reggie Jackson, Joe Rudi, Vida Blue A's if they stayed together would have been dominant for years.

7. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

Forget the draft, I read somewhere that before last week based on our record we would draft seventeenth. I don't think that getting a mediocre vet QB to get you just enough wins to ruin your draft is what any HC in his right fucking mind would do. This was the perfect season to go all in and see exactly where Petty and Hack stand, I'm sick and tired of people calling them trash based on preseason games. And even if it turned out they were trash, hey we get good draft picks and we can put in McCown later in the season to avoid getting embarrassed. It is possible that there is some Cousins plan or trade up for a QB pick plan, but I haven't seen solid proof for that so I don't know what to expect.

How many NFL games has Petty played in? 4, 5? I forget. How many has McCown played in? You really expect them to trash McCown during practice? The sheer amount of experience he has means that he'll be better than them. That's not the point though, the point is that they have to play in actual games to see where they stand. And they're not Brady, they're not GOAT caliber either.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Top priorities in free agency have to be Kirk Cousins and a starting CB to replace Skrine. At the right price a nickel back would be good too.

Pass rusher should be a high priority in the draft depending on what is available in round one. Inside linebacker, offensive line, running back, and wide receiver could also use more young talent in the draft.

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

You say this yet by the end of pre-season we learned that Petty was light years ahead of Hackenberg yet our super smart coaching staff gave Hack twice as many snaps in practice.

10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I am less positive about trading up if we are doing it with Bowles at coach, and to some degree Maccagnan. Maccagnan hasn't had the best luck picking QB's and I would prefer that he admit picking Hack was a mistake if he is going to go ahead and go QB high. But, I really am not sold that Macc and Bowles will be back in 2018. Say we win 1 or 2 more games the whole way, Chris Johnson may feel it necessary to put his own stamp on the team after 3 non-playoff years.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This team is very rapidly falling into mediocrity, if Mac does not continue to do his job, this team will never win a thing. 2016 was a shit draft, if he has one more of those, my prediction is he'll get fired

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Confused what you mean by "falling into mediocrity". We were never anything more than mediocre.

Pepsiguy5 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. Mainejet

The trap of mediocrity almost always involves not having a franchise QB as well? The Jets have been some form of mediocre since about 1996.

What will set this team apart from the rest will be Mac's ability to draft a truly talented QB. We won't have the number 1 pick in the next draft, so we'll have to hope that a great QB is somehow overlooked with the top picks.

So in summary, this all continues to be all about the GM and HC. The GM I'm on the fence about, not sure if he's very good or very dumb? 2015 and 16 drafts are all garbage, but 2017 is turning out to be great?

The HC I am convinced is hot garbage. Toilet should have already been fired.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with being better. Peyton Manning wasn’t good his rookie year and likely wasn’t better than the veteran backup they had, but the Colts had to let him get the experience to get good.

First round QB’s aren’t given starting jobs based on being better than other QB’s on the team, they are given it because the team has invested in them and have to let them start to get experience and develop.

4th rounders like Petty arent given that opportunity. If they aren’t better than a veteran they aren’t given the opportunity to get better. How is Petty going to get better if he doesn’t play?

Rivers23 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Mainejet

I would not define the SB III team as being mediocre?

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Lol okay so let's go back almost 50 years to when we weren't mediocre. You said, I quote - "very rapidly falling into mediocrity," - You have to be above average to fall back into the middle of the pack. We aren't falling back into mediocrity because we aren't above mediocre.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And given how often teams are wrong about draft picks - Prescott comes to mind first - why would they not give a player in a position of need the best opportunity to succeed?

JetBlue likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Do you seriously think that either Petty or Hack are getting many snaps in practice? Hack is probably getting scout team reps and that's it. Based on what I've read, backups only get 10-20% of practice snaps (if that) during the season. They're probably continuing to try to develop both, but at this point I'm sure that they're not looking at either with an eye at replacing McCown this season, until perhaps the very end of the season.

Bowles is coaching for his job, if not his career. Morton, is trying to establish himself as a good OC. He knows that if Bowles is fired, he is probably too, and he might have to go back to being a WR Coach, and may not get another OC gig. I'm sure that he has aspirations to become a HC as well. Do you think he's gonna be any more likely than Bowles to want to trust his future on a young, unproven QB, when he has a competent veteran who has played in the WCO offense before? No. Once he establishes himself as a quality OC, then he can worry about establishing his reputation for developing young QBs. Right now, he's trying to make his offense as efficient and productive as possible, and he probably has zero interest in playing Petty even though potentially, he could be a lot better than McCown.

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This is all the more reason to try like heck to get up high enough for Rosen come draft time. I seriously doubt the the team that has the first pick will be looking to move out this year but the Jets need to try and be willing to give up what it will take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think it is more on the OL than the RB. I don't care who the RB is, if the OL is getting beat the RB will look bad. Look at what the jets did to miami's AA The past 2 games 16yds & 52yds he is pro bowl back but we made him look less than average.

fansince90 likes this.