Jets rebuild is ahead of schedule...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 23, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

we have weapons, and the defense is a piece ot 2 away. not pieces you will find in f.a. though. there are so many options when you find yourself in that rare spot of a high draft pick and the qb positioned filled. the 9ers will most likely be in that position this spring. it will turn that franchise around immediately

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Claiborne hasn't been flagged all too much this year, at least not to my recollection. He's played pretty good for us.

Just nitpicking though.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

that teami is dafting top 3 without cousins. he is a good qb. good qbs are worth what they get

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Cousins has thrown 66 touchdowns to 26 picks on 68.3% passing the past three years for 10,720 yards (282.1 yards/game).

He's also added another 10 touchdowns on the ground.

29/46 (63%) for 329 yards, 1 touchdown in his lone playoff start in 2015.

What more do some of you clowns want out of a quarterback?

Dom, Ozymandias and FJF like this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah but the guru's of Moneyball both have teams that suck. The Mets and Oakland A's are garbage and Billy Beane and Sandy Alderson haven't won a WS in decades. Now the analytics crap is making its way into football with the Browns bringing Paul DePodesta in who ruined the Dodgers in the early 2000 and now looks to keep destroying the Browns.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If not for two fuckin brutal back breaking picks we're 5-2. Another draft and roster tweaks, Enunwa, etc., alongside Cousins and the team is in the hunt. Draft a fuckin QB again too.

boozer32 and FJF like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Wouldn't do any good. Because without the picks we'd have to make up the talent gap some other way. Which means spending the cap space we saved on the QB on expensive free agents of other positions. Might as well buy the QB, save the picks, and get the weapons in the draft.

boozer32, BudJet and FJF like this.
  8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The reason I say they are ahead of schedule is because they have changed the culture of the team in 1 year, they are in every game. Most teams that are rebuilding hit rock bottom for about 2 to 3 years before they become competitive such as browns, jags, 49rs, rams, etc. all these teams were in he'll for a few years. I think we are already competitive after only cleaning house this year. We still need a qb and other holes to fill, but I feel we have done a complete 180 from last year by changing the culture in the locker room and being competitive in just 1 year

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Cousins is good ...but he can't win a Monday night game ..hahah..jus kidding

I always liked him but the business of getting Vets starting with B Favre always takes us to the Wild Card game maybe....TBH I could stomach Cousins if we couldn't draft a FQB but wouldn't like it

Now with Jimmie G well that's a real heartache ..you and other posters are finally seeing his value as I recall I was one of the only guys on TGG who thought Idzik made a idiotic move letting him walk upstate to Pats Land...grrr

But yes ...you are right Bellichek will make us bleed green to get him ..but at this point he is really a youngster and I think a winner so why not

boozer32 likes this.
  10. boozer32

I agree except for the Jets trading up in the first round. They haven't proven they can pick in any round so giving up more picks to try and hit a homerun is pointless. They need to try and accumulate more picks so that the law or averages will yeild them a star. It hasn't happen yet under Macc and Bowles but then again its been all defense. Maybe they should try something different. I don't know load up on offensive players this time. Real outside the box thinking.

11. HomeoftheJets

What you're describing isn't what happened. The A's suck now because all the rich teams copied them. So now that everyone's doing analytics, baseball goes back to money being the primary determinant of success. And I'm not exaggerating. Andrew Friedman, the god of analytics, runs the Dodgers. Jeff Luhnow, who relies more on analytics than any other GM, runs the Astros. Theo Epstein, another analytics pioneer, runs the Cubs. Even the Yankees embraced analytics, which is why they finally can win without relying on expensive vets.

And the Browns suck not because they're doing analytics but because they suck at analytics. Any analyst in his right mind would recognize how important the QB position is and not pass up the opportunity to draft one. Any analyst worth a damn would know that combine stats don't correlate with NFL success and stop drafting combine warriors. But not the Browns. All I can conclude is that DePodesta is overrated. Which is probably the case because Hollywood made a movie about him even though he couldn't cut it as a baseball GM. They should've made the movie about Epstein.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. boozer32

Nice post Vilma and it is something to build on. But it hurts the process. Next year we might have 3 question marks at the very position we need stabilized. Petty, Hack and I'm guessing but you can never tell with this nerd Macc picking, a rookie QB. That is alot to worry about going into another season. Thatis what they should have done this year. McCown is nothing to this team and we saw exactly what he has been his whole career last week. A guy that is just good enough to be really bad at crunch time. Nothing to look forward to and not alot of expectation from a McCown led team. I know they won't do it but thes two other QB need to play now while the offense still looks functional besides McCown. Otherwise its pointless to think about any thing future related to the Jets until they fiqure out the QB position.

13. boozer32

The culture thing I get and it has improved but it doesn't put wins in the column. The Browns are still losing. The culture starts with a head coach players would run through a wall for Parcells, Dungy, Cowher Harbaugh. Once you have one of those they surround themselve with players that reflect them like CMart, Sapp, Hines Ward. The Jets have none of that right now. How do the Steelers stay competitive and keep winning? The Packers? That culture, Coach, FQB. That hat trick is what the Jets need. But I like the offense being run by Morton and hope he stays around. The rest of the staff should see pink slips right after the last game.

14. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Epstein and Lunhow didnt do anything earth shattering. They tanked for 5 years and built up the farm system through high draft picks.

Friedman did the same thing in Tampa, and Beane is doing that now in Oakland.

Analytics and tanking are one in the same.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

He's nowhere near the mold of Brett Favre when we got him. He was teetering on retirement and 39 when we acquired him. Cousins is a decade younger.

If we got Brees, you could make the worrisome comparison.

This is a quarterback in the prime of his career and playing well, finishing seasons with better than a 2-1 TD to INT ratio and completes 65%+ of his passes every year.

Those type of quarterbacks become available once a decade if you're lucky. We happen to have the cap space to make a move. I'll be pissed if I find out we didn't even make the phone call if he hits unrestricted free agency.

FJF and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ok let's punch his ticket..sign this beast (sigh)

I also like the fact he will scream "You like that ???....You like that ???"right in deadpan Bowles face

Hahahahah

17. boozer32

You right about DePodesta and I'm glad he's far away from the Mets. But Alderson is still around the Mets and he schooled Billy Beane the A's GM. The Astro are good because they drafted high every year because they stunk for many years. Sure you can trinkle in a few solid pro's like Beltran and trade for Verlander. I hate that Moneyball crap its not sustainable. Its short sighted thinking and it messes up your minor leagues. When these beanball GM's leave these teams they are in a mess Alderson (A's, Padres), DePodesta (Dodger's, Mets).J .P. Ricciardi (Toronto). I don't think Theo Epstein is heavy a Moneyball type. Bill James who tracked sabermetrics just happened to be on the Boston Red Sox staff.

18. HomeoftheJets

No. Analytics is figuring out what strategies will win you games and championships. Yes there are analysts who tank. They fall into two types. The first type are like Epstein and Luhnow who realized tanking in baseball can be a good strategy for winning the World Series. The second type are like Sam Hinkie and apparently dePodesta in Cleveland. They tanked because they're under the same false impression that analytics = tanking. They're the ones giving analytics a bad name.

#98 HomeoftheJets, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  19. HomeoftheJets

What do you think "that Moneyball crap" is? Tanking? Acting like you're smart because you have an Ivy League degree in economics and then tanking? That isn't Moneyball. Moneyball is making intelligent decisions with the resources available to you, one of which is math. OBP is Moneyball. Defensive shifts are Moneyball. Not overpaying free agents is Moneyball. Recognizing that soft skills matter too because they're correlated with winning is Moneyball. Bill Belichick is Moneyball. Theo Epstein is Moneyball. Sam Hinkie is not Moneyball. Sam Hinkie is imitation Moneyball. /endrant

boozer32 likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

No one will convince me to agree with the potato logic that Cousins isn’t worth signing.

What what I’ve seen in the NCAA this year, not 1 prospect is worth a first round pick

Cousins is taking reps with the starters day 1. The prospects are not.

FJF likes this.