Most gut punching loss of your lifetime (2017)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Oct 20, 2017.

1. oldrover

oldrover Member

Actually, mine might be different.

5. Jets in 2010.
    4. Giants in SB 46.
    3. Colts in 2006 AFCCG. Pats had a huge lead, and would definitely have beaten the Bears IMHO.
    2. Raiders in 1976 divisional. Roughing the passer... grrrr.
    1. Helmet catch. Although to be fair, the Pats had their chances on that drive, and even that play. But to wipe the smirk off Shula's face would have been priceless. Of course, there's a downside... it would have led to t shirt deprivation for many African children.

o_O

egelband likes this.
  2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

It was the worst loss that I had sat thru bar none as at that time they were still the SB champs. OTH the proudest moment in my NYJ fandom career was when they raised the championship flag B4 home game #1 of the 1969 season. Watching it waffle in the breeze brought tears to my eyes :mad:

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you use a happy smiley for that last sentence? :D:):cool: Any of these would suffice.

FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

^This... followed by the Fake Spike game.

Jets69 likes this.
  5. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

The Jets loss to Pittsburgh, Divisional Round of the 2004 season.

Doug Brien missing the winning field goal TWICE.

Watching the game with all of my family who are obnoxious Steelers fans.

6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

+1

The '86 Browns game after that fucking nighmare was crushing and when I started hating Gastineau. I met him a couple times after that and continued hating him. When he got his ass kicked in the ring I was very happy :)

I don't hate him anymore. I do hate Michael Strahan tho lol

#26 Walt White, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    hornblower, Jets69 and Cman68 like this.
  7. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Mud Bowl, compounded by the fact that I live in S Florida and I was surrounded by idiot Dolphin the next day at school...

Peebag likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great point. No Super Bowl IV or any other one up to Super Bowl LII at least. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

For some reason the Quincy Carter/Lamont Jordan INT loss to the Ravens always sticks out in my mind when someone asks me about tough Jets losses. That one really hurt for some reason.

9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I never understood being upset at the Doug Brien game. The Jets were only there because Nate Kaeding had the same kind of game against us the week before.... That game was awesome, but Eric Barton pulled a Gastineau with a late hit on the QB to keep the Chargers in it, and Kaeding missed the game winner in OT.

I was bummed that the Jets lost to the Steelers, but it felt justified--live by the crappy kicker, die by the crappy kicker....

10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I was most let down by the 2000 finale against the Ravens. Testaverde was ripping through the best defense in history, but the Ravens special teams ripped through the Jets like they weren't even on the field. Instead of 10-6 with a wildcard, we end up 9-7 and sitting at home.

11. Vinny & 7 other starters/key role players going down start of 99.We went from a powerhouse to a fringe playoff team overnight & didn’t recover for a very long time. Of course that was against the Patriots too. We had a rookie standout that offseason who won the starting nickel back job in Jermaine Jones.He got absolutely torched in the 1st half & got cut immediately after the game. The whole thing was a bummer from a highly anticipated season..thought we were destined for the SUper Bowl.Not sure I’ve had that feeling since.

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

No loss ever hurt me as much as 1998 against Elway's Broncos. I was 13. A kid. 1 game away from the SB. My older brother was on cloud 9 throughout all of 98. Bill the big tuna. #28. Young Keyshawn. Mr 3rd down Chrebet. Broadway Vinny. Damn. We loved that team. Been so long. Now 32 and a father myself and still to this day I've never been more letdown my older brother said that night after the loss that i guess we'll never witness a Jets SB. But i didn't wanna believe him. Then 2009 came. Was a little older mid 20's. AFCCG again. Colts. Manning. That's 2nd on my list of Jet letdowns. Rex Ryan's defense. Sanchez just a rookie. That power run game. To finally get there, 11 years later. And to not win... it stunk. And still stinks. 2010 hurt almost just as bad as 2009. Bart Scott's can't wait all for not. Ran into 3 future HOF QB's in Manning, Brady & Roethlisberger. All on the road. Knocked off Manning and Indy. Revis was God like back then. L.T was bleeding green Jets tattoo and all. Hardknox. Loved that team. Knocked off Brady & N.E too. Back to back afc championship games with 0 SB appearances let alone wins. My older brother was right. I may never see it.

Maccagnan and Bowles. I'm willing to give them a chance. Why not. Nothings worked for my team dating back to childhood might as well hope a longtime college scout in Maccagnan knows what he's doing with our younger QB's and that Bowles gets a chance to enjoy some new toys 2018. I can't blame our current h.c-gm for a franchise who hasn't seen the SB since 68-69 under Joe. I'm all about opportunity. And Bowles and Maccagnan has another 3 years from today imo.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

How do you figure? The Chargers had to make a 10 point comeback just to force OT in the first place. And Doug Brien ALSO missed a field goal in regulation time that would have had us up by 3 and won the game with no OT.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The Heidi Bowl, followed by the Fake Spike.

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

1970 playoff against the Chiefs. Jets could have went to back to back Super Bowls.

Opening game 1999. The stars were aligned. We had Parcells, we had Vinny and we had Curtis. Then Curtis fumbles and Vinny tears his achilles. Parcells stayed too long with Rick Mirer. Then when he went to Ray Lucas it was too late. Season gone

#35 boozer32, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Peebag and Walt White like this.
  16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

1981 WC game vs the Bills. Jets trail 31-13 early 4th quarter. They close the gap to 31-27 and with a chance to win Todd throws an INT at the goal line with just seconds left.

jilozzo and boozer32 like this.
  17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yup. I was gonna mention exactly that but passed. If he had went to Lucas earlier they could've done damage in the playoffs.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

With Todd the defensive backs and A.J Duhe were always open.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's just amazing that as Jets fans our fondest memories of a quarterback is that of Vinny fricken Testaverde.

Not throwing shade at him. He was a great player for us in 1998. I was unfortunately too young to really remember him that season.

One of my favorite early memories as a Jets fan was his return from the couch and victory over the Buccaneers in 05'. He had a QB sneak if I remember correctly that almost resulted in a touchdown. Dewayne Robertson was a wrecking ball that game too. I was there. :D

I was young and naive but I was like damn can we really still have a team this year with Vinny?!

boozer32 likes this.
  20. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Roughing the passer, #99...15 yard penalty and an automatic first down.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

hornblower and NY Jets68 like this.