Todd Bowles is Mr. Softee

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

From what I've seen with Petty is that he energizes the team. McCown is a game manager, but that's about it. Of course I have to acknowledge that the coaches see much more than I do, and do have experience, but they're sure not infallible. If Petty really isn't that good, then the Jets are in real trouble, and I again have to question why they didn't draft a QB this past year if that's the case.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

His biggest problem is HE REFUSES TO SIT DOWN PLAYERS WHO ARE UNDERPERFORMING!!!! He played Fitz and Revis ALL YEAR LAST YEAR AND THEY STUNK AND HE WILL AND IS DOING THE SAME THINGS WITH WILKERSON THIS YEAR. Bill Parcells played the best players regardless of their past, their contract, and their length of time on the jets--THAT is Bowles' weakness--he WILL play Wilk all year, watch him struggle, and then mumble about watching tape after the loss (and learn nothing).

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

So you think that Petty is a better leader than McCown? Based on what you've seen? How much have you seen? You said you didn't see some of these games this year. Did you actually see Petty play in the pre-season? Have you observed McCown's leadership qualities and skills?

You may think that they're in real trouble if Petty isn't any good. Do you think that Bowles and Mac would actually think that way? Be scared that if Petty isn't good they're in big in trouble. Therefor he should throw caution to the wind out of fear that the teams future rides on a long shot Petty. That it's Petty or bust? At the expense of the other men involved.
    And that dictates whether Todd Bowles is a good HC. Nah. I don't think so.

As a matter of fact I'd bet that Morton, Bowles, and Mac already have an idea of how this will go and are considering their options: Petty/Hack, FA, and and/or draft pick.
    Not panic over Bryce Petty and that if he doesn't save them they're in trouble. That's silly.

4. ColoradoContrails

I said that Petty energizes the team, not necessarily that he's a better leader - McCown is steady and has experience, but I just don't see him rallying the team from behind if needed. I've seen tape and some live action, admittedly not a large sample, but Petty has moved the team when he's in there, unlike say Hack who has been given every chance to show what he's got.

And I do think they're in trouble if Petty isn't any good, don't you? That would mean they would have to rely on Hackenberg, and he SURE isn't ready.

And I don't think the future rides on Petty, but it also doesn't ride on McCown, so just what is their plan?

Look, I hope I'm wrong. I'm a lifelong fan, ever since they were the Titans, but I've seen a lot of failure and mistakes from this team, including under the regime of Macc & Bowles, and I'm skeptical. Last year with Fitz even after a SIX PICK GAME! Bowles stuck with him, so I'm fearful that he'll stick with McCown no matter what. Until proven otherwise that's what I expect. I can understand that you and others believe sticking with McCown gives them a shot to even make the playoffs this year, but I don't. Every game that McCown starts is just treading water at best, and doesn't move them forward, even if they do win a couple of games.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Don't worry. I was starting Marshawn Lynch who thought it was a good idea to run onto the field to 'protect his cousin' Marcus Peters. Absolutely moronic. Then he supposedly left the stadium on his own?

The guy is such a headcase. I figured him to be a good pick on a high powered offense with a lot of goal line touches.

6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

You're fearful? Don't be scared. That doesn't make him a bad HC. I go back too, not as far as you. I don't care what happened 30 years ago right now. I don't care who has seen 50 years of futility or how much they cry about it either. I don't care what happened last year. Mac and Woody put that roster on the field last year; WTF was he supposed to do, give up?

You're skeptical. So declaring Bowles as a bad HC based on how he's dealt with Petty, which is how this started, and your miserable condition is silly, IMO. This is playing out and it will take a while. Like a few months. Try to bear it, you can do it.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

If we were 0-6 or 1-5 I'd agree with you. But we're 3-3 and a half game back of both the wild card spots with McCown as the starter. We've also beaten Jacksonville and Miami who we will be battling for that wild card spot.

The schedule is tough but it always seems a lot tougher on paper than it actually ends up being as certain teams overperform and certain teams underperform.

If we end up at 3-7 or 4-8, then by all means put Petty in. While we're still fighting for a wild card spot you leave the player in that's gotten you here.

Mind you, we're also only a game back in the division with the Patsies not looking like the typical Patsies. The AFC is as wide open of a conference as there has ever been. There is no dominant team with the Chiefs now losing back to back games.

We could be looking at an 8-8 wild card berth. I doubt it, but it's possible. I don't think it would be crazy to see this team continue to compete.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

@ Miami
    Vs. Atlanta
    Vs. Buffalo
    @ Tampa Bay
    Vs. Carolina
    Vs. Kansas City
    @ Denver
    @ New Orleans
    Vs. Chargers
    @ New England

This next four game stretch could very well determine our season. If we somehow go 3-1 that puts us at 6-4 going into a tough stretch needing to finish the season out at 3-3 to be in the thick of things. This is all crazy talk honestly, but it's not impossible.

The thing that really is helping us moving forward is that while the pass rush is lackluster, it can't be much worse moving forward which means we're poised to see some improvement. We also have a secondary that does not allow big plays and forces teams to go on 10, 11, 12 play drives to score.

So we'll see. Until we're really out of things, Petty doesn't sniff the field IMO.

/end extremely optimistic rant

FJF likes this.
  9. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Yes the Jets only had one TO left. So the correct call in that situation is to use it on the Pat's third down play. The best you can do on a TO is save :40 second on the game clock so you might as well take them on defense (when you don't have control of the clock).

If they had, the Jets would have been in much better position to tie the game. When you take TO's on the offense you are saving yourself ~:15 seconds on the game clock. Saving :40 on a "defensive" TO is better than saving :15 on an "offensive" TO all day long.

While I am at it, I also hate the call to spike the ball with :53 seconds left (probably ~1:18 if they had taken that TO on defense). There is no reason to spike the ball and waste a down with that much time left. You've spent the time in between plays to get everyone up to the line of scrimmage and positioned correctly so you might as well run a play to gain yardage instead of wasting a down - and limiting your chances of moving down the field getting closer to a TD.

IMO the only time it makes sense to spike the ball on first down trailing by a TD near the opponent's 40 yard line is when there is :15 - :20 seconds left in game - ie. you wouldn't be able to execute all four downs anyway. Otherwise, why waste a down when there is virtually very little benefit?

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Tomorrow against Miami I think the team that wants it more wins

11. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Why???? If the other 2 QBs aren't better than him, why do u need to to see the other 2 guys if the best success from a NEW TORK TEAM. Dint u think if they were capable they would have played by now, and i don't think those other tow should pya a factor when they clearly seem to be worse

FJF likes this.
  12. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

I’m not sure if this was mentioned, but can Bowles tell his team that it’s better to take a 5 yard delay of game than it is to waste a 2nd half TO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. ColoradoContrails

You would think that would be a no-brainer, so what does that tell you?

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Forget game management.... Todd Bowles is a defensive minded HC who's FUCKING defense BLEW TWO 14 POINT LEADS IN BACK TO BACK GAMES. Get this guy the FUCK out of NY. Holy shit. I've never been so mad at this team

fggrimes likes this.
  15. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I don't care. You don't let a pass be thrown in that situation when your QB is Josh McCown and you're the Jets and you know god hates you and the stuff that happens to you. Take the knee and run the ball. Why tempt fate. Why give this an opportunity to happen

If Toilet is that mentally ill then he shouldnt be coaching.

16. mute

mute Well-Known Member

17. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

This is all on McCown. Throwing the damn ball in the middle of 3 defenders.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Eh 3 timeouts. You would think your vet QB wouldn't make an awful throw. But alas...

FJF and fggrimes like this.
  19. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

Don't even wait until the end of the season. This guy is a colossal fucking failure. No emotion, no clue. We interviewed him because of the Rooney rule most likely and because everyone else said fuck you to this dumpster fire franchise he was the guy. Well no longer. Leave his useless ass in Miami I can't take it anymore

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  20. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

LMAO Todd got us 3 wins which none of you thought was possible

Nesquik, sackexchange and zace like this.