Todd Bowles is Mr. Softee

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Its worked against shitty teams with terrible quarterbacks, not the Patriots.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I mean it wasn't Bowles fault, McCown threw an interception prior to the half ... that killed any momentum we had

3. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Yeah my problem with Bowles has always been he never learns from his mistakes..If Revis was still on the team he wouls still be on an island covering the number one receiver.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Reid has a long history of screwing up the clock. It has cost him a superbowl title really. He is a great coach in every other facet but he makes a major clock management gaffe every single year.

This year KC will miss out on homefield advantage this year by 1 game and they'll fall on the road in the playoffs. This gaffe from last night will be long forgotten but it cost them a playoff game they could've had at home.

With KC they always seem to play well against NE and I thought they could've beaten them last year but Reid was a jackass managing the clock in the Pittsburgh playoff game and cost them the game. How do you only get the ball ONCE in the 4th quarter when you are losing. Bad game management

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I have corrected your basic error mate ;)

NCJetsfan and MJK like this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I had a chance encounter with Rob Ryan on Monday. I had a Jets cap on, and as we were walking I said I missed his brother's fire & energy...and that Rex would have been in the ref's face after the ASJ call.

He stated that Bowles was doing a good job in NY. I shrugged my shoulders in response.

One thing really impressed me about our short conversation.

Rob Ryan has got a great head of hair.

7. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Agreed. Although the result at the end of the half sucked, I can't blame the aggressiveness.

However, the decision to not call a timeout on third down with approximately 2:50 in the game was just idiotic.

8. 101GangGreen101

Jets only had 1 TO left right?

9. 101GangGreen101

Defense looks off as well without Berry and the pass-rushers a year older.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just paid respects to Bowles doing a great job this year. But if he's not good at something and can recognize his deficiencies, I don't think it'd be a terrible thing to have another coaches input on clock management.

I agree. We're sometimes way too hard on these guys. I wanted Bowles gone before the season even started. And I was pretty much dead wrong about it and I'll admit it.

I'd still like to see some improvements in this area. You need to know who you're playing against. It was on both Bowles AND Morton with the piss poor playcalling and clock management at the end of the half. The short yardage calls were awful. No more 3rd and 1-2 runs unfortunately. We cannot convert.

But as I said, I openly admit I was wrong about Bowles. He's developing the young players nicely. He's putting most everyone in the position to succeed.

We still need to know who we're playing. Brady is notorious for bookending halves with scores. Have to try to keep the ball away from him at all costs, but also remain aggressive. You do this by getting first downs. Not running into a wall of defenders on third and short.

FJF and Walt White like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't get why they're so insistent on playing man to man coverage regardless of the scenario. Peters and his counterparts did the best they could last night. But you need to mix up coverages against a team that really has three threats at receiver if you include Cook. That secondary is good, but it's not like they have Primetime and PrimeRevis on either sides of the formation.

Peters is also excellent at reading the quarterbacks eyes. Why not force Carr to find holes in those zones and dare him to throw past Peters reading his eyes?

12. 101GangGreen101

Berry being out is huge, he's the best player in that secondary. If you don't get pressure on Carr, he will eat you alive. He reads defenses very well, very rarely will you fool Derek Carr. I really like Peters, but he gives up big plays and bites on double moves.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

They weren't making him really read a defense though. It was man across the board with a single high safety on pretty much every single down. He just needed to identify the defenses weakest link and did so pretty easily.

The Chiefs need to vary their play calls a bit more. Without Berry, some zone defenses mixed in would help the slot corners and weakside corner a lot.

You're right though. He had all day to throw for the most part.

14. 101GangGreen101

It's no fun when you're playing against BOTH of them in fantasy football this week. Already down 60 points. I do agree, Chiefs should've mixed it up, some more zone blitzing.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Bowles insists on sticking with McCown, I'm still opposed to his remaining. I'll admit he has surprised me in getting them to play better than I thought they would, but that may be due more to Morton than Bowles. Still, Bowles picked Morton, so I'll give him credit for that. OTH, the "D" line sucks and they were supposed to be a strength. I do like that he's employed a different base defense that seems to be getting the most out of who he has, but the "D" line has to improve greatly.

But all that aside, sticking with McCown is a poor decision IMO.

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

So is it your opinion that Petty is the better option to win games. Or is that you think Bowles as an NFL HC should play a player he deems lesser than the starter and and not give his team and the other 52 players a better chance to compete in and win a football game?

FJF likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

I do think Petty is the better bet to win games.

18. Walt White

Why? What did he do to lead you to believe that? You actually belive that this team would have a better record with Petty so far?

Mind you, in your previous post you gave credit to John Morton for the fact that the team is playing better, not Bowles. Is it your assertion that even tho it's Morton that has made the difference they still would play a QB that gave them less of a chance to win games? After they've had the QB's in house and on the field for nine months. Wow.

soh_vet and FJF like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

From what I've seen of Petty, I think he brings a dimension that McCown doesn't - he has a stronger arm, more mobile.

I understand that the less risky move is to go with McCown, but what do they have to lose? Being risk-averse is safer, but they need to take more chances IMO because "playing it safe" hasn't won them anything.

20. Walt White

I really don't think Petty is more mobile, and I doubt he'll ever be a better runner than McCown. Petty may actually be injury prone from what we've seen. That Petty has a strong arm is one of many considerations when evaluating his readiness to play, and QB play in general. Because otherwise he hasn't shown much to warrant risking the whole team for what some fans have a notion about. Particularly when all the coaches involved have like decades of professional experience.

If Bowles and Morton thought the competition was even close they may have played Petty while considering that Petty growing could catapult the whole franchise forward. But it's their job to win football games and also consider what's best in the future for everyone involved. Not calculate risk factors on a long shot while also considering the Jets history of things, like some fans.

Making declarations that Bowles isn't a good HC based on your points about Petty, that he has a good arm, is really digging dirt hard.

I'd love to see Petty succeed. If he's any good he'll get his chance.

#140 Walt White, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    FJF likes this.