2017 Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Yisman, Oct 3, 2017.

1. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Great game, ass whoopin', 3 down, 1 to go!

Royal Tee and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Almost there to MLB’s best case scenario of the playoffs — Yanks and Dodgers.

Jonathan_Vilma and Royal Tee like this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Tell me more about Yankees-Dodgers rivalry. I am not a baseball guy but regardless of sport if a. New York team is playing in the championship game I watch. It was Mets a few years ago and now Yankees.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Yankees/Dodgers is a historic rivalry from when they were the Brooklyn Dodgers and met in multiple World Series. Now you get the added coastal rivalry of NY v LA. Plus they are the two biggest media markets.

Jonathan_Vilma and Brook! like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

So proud of this Yankees team. What an effort by Tanaka tonight. He was the Ace we had all hoped he would be. Pitched pretty good Game 1 too. Great playoffs for him thus far. Verlander could save the Astros Game 6, but the team looked defeated tonight. Wish their wasn't a day in between.

Royal Tee and matt robinson 17 like this.
  7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Brook, the rivalry was more back in the 1940's and 1950's when New York City had 3 baseball teams: . the Yankees, the Giants (whose ballpark the Polo Grounds was just across the Harlem River from Yankee Stadium---and technically in Manhattan) and the Brooklyn Dodgers who played at Ebbets Field. The Giants and Dodgers (since they both were in the National League) were even more bitter rivals whereas the Yankee-Dodger rivalry was limited to meeting in the World Series which the Yankees usually won (save 1955). A lot of writers (native Brooklynites?) would paint the "Boys of Summer" Dodgers in a romantic light (Jackie, the Duke, etc.) while the Yankees were depicted as this cold, rampaging machine that was akin to "rooting for U.S. Steel."

Whatever, the New York Yankees remain the one baseball team from that era not to pull up roots and leave NYC.
    [​IMG]

The Dodgers - Giants rivalry continues today out on the left coast albeit with more sleezy, violent undertones reflecting their respective dbag fanbases (esp. the Dodgers). These assholes make the 70's "Bronx Zoo" bleacher creatures look like boy scouts:

http://www.laweekly.com/news/la-dod...y-assault-sf-giants-fan-after-big-win-2393055
    http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...bryan-stow-faces-lengthy-federal-time1-050715
    https://www.axs.com/the-violent-tendencies-of-san-francisco-sports-fans-14516
    http://www.mercurynews.com/2013/09/...with-giants-fans-two-suspects-still-at-large/

Post-season games at Dodgers Stadium usually would involve listening to some cheesy, slick-sounding "radio voice" P.A. announcer introducing a B-list TV personality with a pretty smile and big tits to sing the national anthem (while back in the Bronx it would be Bob Sheppard "the voice of god" introducing Met opera legend Robert Merrill).

Different vibe nowadays in both L.A. and "love and peace" S.F.

Additionally Brook, here's a NYY site offering some good reads and all-around Yankee news (e.g. Baby Bomber prospects): www.riveraveblues.com

Lastly Brook, the Houston Astros are one hell of a team, are back home with their backs against the wall and due to break out themselves the way Judge/Sanchez have. This series "ain't over till it's over."

In the meantime, hoping for the Cubbies to show some sack and stretch out the Dodgers' starting rotation and bullpen.

Brook! likes this.
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Wow. Thanks Joe. I truly don't follow baseball and hockey at all. Just a little playoff NBA that's it. Didn't know about Dogers and Giants being from New York. I will now read more about them from the links you provided. I wish I could double like your post. Thanks my friend.

Royal Tee likes this.
  9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Fun fact: The Astros were originally called the Houston Colt 45s after the highly popular malt liquor.

Walt White and JetBlue like this.
  10. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Seager expected back for the World Series.

11. typeOnegative13NY

Alright, let's go!

12. typeOnegative13NY

This ump sucks.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

hicks' battling

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

damn, verlander is nasty

15. typeOnegative13NY

Well,hope cc brings his a game tomorrow night.

Royal Tee likes this.
  16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Again an inconsistent SZ all night... Didn't cost us but still it affects the pitches you take and don't

Sanchez is fukin KILLING US RN!

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not sure what he was looking at in that last atbat too. Didn't swing once and looked at two balls right down the pipe.

I wanted to get Robertson out one batter earlier. Can't blame him a ton he's been rock solid all postseason.

It's just frustrating that both he and Green are going to be a bit burnt out for tomorrow's game when we will absolutely need the bullpen as CC usually can't give us more than 5.

Do we pitch Tanaka on short rest in the mid-innings? I imagine not, as he usually needs/wants extra rest. Sonny Gray will certainly be available.

Royal Tee likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not that it really matters. But I was screaming for Hicks to bunt before that atbat started. He got Verlanders pitch count up but eventually strikes out. Frazier up next, flyball hitter. Hits a bomb to center. You end up with a 3-1 deficit with 2 outs, runner on 3rd. No idea why the runner on 2nd wasn't tagging on that long fly ball either. If he doesn't catch it, he walks home from second.

The best thing we can do now is make this guy throw a lot of pitches so he burns himself out.

Is that Giles still coming in? Dumb by Hinch IMO if it is.

Royal Tee and FJF like this.
  19. typeOnegative13NY

3-0 and he check swings

Royal Tee and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  20. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I think the Yanks are done. Houston has got their mojo back at home and the bullpen looks shot.