Todd Bowles is Mr. Softee

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. It's not just one game or one instance.This goes back 3 years now. I think Bowles has his strengths as a head coach & actually believe that if he's willing to accept an offense heavy offseason or 2 he can be a part of the turnaround..

But when we are in big games in crunch time when every point is vital,we've seen this conservative borderline incompetent show a few times over...we know how it ends.. and he has shown zero ability to improve or change. Why is it a prerequisite to play scared & conservative in every big moment for this team??

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

See what happens when you don't attend the Stanley H Kaplan Pro Football Coaching Review Course ??? Bottom 20 % of the class!! Ahaha

What's sad is Waldo and Woody don't care, ....MM couldn't care...except for maybe the Media and Fans no one has a clue...oh wait the Accounting Dept knows what it's doing raising ticket prices for us suckers

Watch how Toilet grabs a contract extension because of team "improvement "

3. NYJetsO12

I don't know about B Arians but I'll take Reid over TB forever

4. NYJetsO12

I am always down on Mr Bowles but the team is clearly motivated and ready to play ...to his credit that's 50 per cent of Coaching

After that it's all downhill with game management and decisions...a complete failure. I judge TB Week to week just like any other player...positives and negatives...after 3 years Mac get a B-/B and Bolwes a C-

Ok guys this is who you want ...you got him

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Just remember: football is 90% mental. The other half is physical.

Cman68 and FJF like this.
  6. Ok are we talking about temperament or game management.If we're talking about temperment I'm sure behind the scenes he's intense & prefers a mundane style w the press.But for god's sake even Dungy would've spoke up about the way the team got hosed w calls against a team this always seems to happen against.Have the fan base's & your PLAYERS back.

Why do we always have to turn the other cheek w the pats bullshit? Is Bowles afraid of them?Judging by any answer he gives about them I wonder..

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Go on the Falcons, Packers, or Chiefs forum. They're always bitching about clock management. Andy Reid is legendary for bad clock management. Pats fans are different, they suck Beli's balls which is somehow more annoying.

FJF and Walt White like this.
  8. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

When a bad play call works, I never give the coach credit. Daryl Bevell would have still been a moron for calling a slant, even if nobody would have remembered the awful play call.

There is a difference between a high risk playcall and a bonehead play call. For example. an onside kick in the Super Bowl when nobody expects it is a good risky play call. Calling for a slant on the 1 yard line when you have a guy named Beast Mode on your team is a high risk bad play call.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

Reid is the modern day Marty Schottenheimer. I'll pass.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Is that a Casey Stengel or Yogi Berra quote? ;)

Walt White likes this.
  11. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

It's okay. People here keep telling me he'll get better at it.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

We saw the same thing with Rex. IMO with Rex it was more surprising because his D used more of an aggressive, attacking style and of his boastful big talk. With Bowles it's not all that surprising. He's more passive, quiet, and conservative anyway.

The Jets need to hire a HC who has some mojo, whose balls don't pull up inside his body (like a frightened turtle retracting into his shell) when things get tough. He needs to be part street brawler mentality, part riverboat gambler, part psychologist, part QB developer, and part offensive genius.

#92 NCJetsfan, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  13. NCJetsfan

You're probably right about Bowles getting an extension because of team improvement. That is one of the big factors that Chris (aka Waldo) said that he would be looking at.

Why do you say MM couldn't care? What do you base that on? You don't think he cares about his career or succeeding with the Jets?

You think the media has a clue? Seriously? You think Mehta, and the other stooges from the Daily Snooze, the Post, Star Ledger and Newsday have a clue? What do you base that on? I think the Jets probably have the worst beat writers of any team in any sport in any major city. I thought it was that way when I lived in NYC, and was shocked since NYC is the biggest and best city in the country.

What makes you think you, I or anyone on this board care more than Mac or Bowles?

I think Woody and Waldo care, it's just that they're clueless, and don't know what to do.

#93 NCJetsfan, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Hallucinogenics?

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

People blamed Revis, Marshall and Richardson for the problems last year. It was Bowles not being able to man up and deal witht the locker room. So you jettison the vets and think that changes things. Who is Bowles gonna blame next?

16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

For those saying he's not aggressive enough... last year he'd knee it and go to half... this year vs Cleveland he told the offense to drive downfield w 40 seconds and they scored a FG which turned out to be the difference. Last week vs New England he had them go for it on 4th and 1 in the second half... if that's not aggressive I don't know what is.

17. NCJetsfan

Sorry to see that you don't know what "aggressive" is. It's improvement. It's progress on the way to becoming more agressive, but it's a looooooooooooooooong way from being aggressive.

It's showing signs that maybe he can become less conservative, less timid, less afraid of losing, and trying more to win. It's not aggressive. It's basic minimum coaching, that he should have been doing 2 years ago.

Being "aggressive" is trying to score another TD before halftime, rather than playing for a FG. Being Aggressive is taking shots in the endzone when you're only on the opponents' 30 or 40 yard line. Being aggressive can mean going for it on 4th down and 2 or 3 at almost any time you're on the opponent's side of the field rather than punting the ball. Being aggressive is making the offense have a sense of urgency, getting out of the huddle, to the LOS, snapping the ball, and not wasting time when you're two TDs behind, especially in the 2nd half. Being aggressive can be calling two plays in the huddle at a time. Being aggressive can be going no huddle on offense and not giving the opposing D a chance to get replacements in the game. Being aggressive can be looking to throw the ball downfield more and not settling for a bunch of checkdowns and short passes. Being aggressive is not going conservative because you're afraid of making a mistake when you have the lead, but rather going for the throat and seeking to deliver the knockout blow. Bowles is none of those things.

If I'm not mistaken in the first or second game this season when the Jets were behind by two scores in the 4th qtr., he punted the ball rather than going for it. That's surrendering, being passive. It sure the hell isn't being aggressive.

Being aggressive, is when the refs screw your team, you go ape shit on them and stand up for your players, and not just bending over and accepting it passively.

#97 NCJetsfan, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes.

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yeah several of the Jets regimes (current and recent past) have struggled with this aspect of the game which is soo crucial as we all know. It has definitely cost us a few L's. Where's Dick Curl when you need him?

20. NCJetsfan

Being aggressive is taking risks, not being risk averse.

Being aggressive can be kicking a surprise onside kick trying to catch the opponent unaware in an effort to put the game away. Being aggressive can be kicking a surprise onside kick on the opening kickoff when you're playing an away game against an opponent that you think you realistically have little chance of beating, and that your only chance of winning is to take some calculated risks, gambles, get up on them early, get momentum on your side, and then continuing to be aggressive throughout the game (playing to win, not playing not to lose).

Being aggressive means not going into the "prevent" defense in the 4th qtr. when you're up two scores. We've all seen too many games lost by the team that was leading when they go to the prevent. They get passive and start playing not to lose, and they lose all momentum. I don't know the statistics, or if there are even any, but I would think that if so, they would be close to 50-50, 55-45 or maybe even 45-55 of winning when going to the prevent.

ColoradoContrails likes this.