Next 3 Games...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jeti, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Spot on. No doubt.

I'm expecting a QB to be drafted, and one to be signed.

Go Jets!!

:)

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not only do I see McCown coming back on a multi-year guaranteed deal, I see Bowles getting a 4-5 year extension as well. I can also see Macc drafting a no name qb in the 5th or 6th round to rot on the bench and finally setting Petty free. What I don't see is Macc shelling out another big contract to an FA after getting burned with the Wilk contract. I also don't see Macc letting Hack go next year either. I also don't see Petty getting any meaningful playing time this year unless some catastrophic season ending injury happens to McCown and even then, McCown would have to be on his deathbed. The Future is Now and it doesn't include Petty. It NEVER did..

#42 Cman68, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What’s your definition of meaningful?
    If you mean jets in contention for a play off spot then I agree, petty likely won’t see the field if we have a healthy mccown. Why would he? What reason is there to put an unknown qb into the game when the current has the team in contention? To think he should is irrational fans speak. Same irrational fan speak we laughed at when Tebow was here.

4. Cman68

Even if the Jets weren't in contention for a playoff spot, Petty still wouldn't see the field barring injury to McCown. Bowles is still coaching for an extension playoffs or not so its not in his best interest to play Petty or Hack. With McCown coming back next year, there's no real upside to finding out what Petty can do as he's not really in the long term plans of the team. The future as far as Bowles is concerned is NOW until he gets that extension. Things would have been a lot different IMO, if Bowles already had his extension signed.

The Jets prefer Vet QB game managers and like you said, will never put an unknown Qb into the game unless it was the absolute last resort. Factor in Petty's 2016 as the only measuring stick the FO/CS is interested in and its not hard to figure out why Petty has no future with this team. Would the FO/CS ever admit the team quit in 2016? Not on your life so of course, it had to be Petty. So that's why I know full well Petty will never see the field this year barring season ending injury to McCown. Its also why I hope the Jets just stick with what they know best. That is, skip drafting QB's and simply sign Vets to manage the offense. No reason to continue mothballing young QB's on the bench as they will never see the field. They've done enough damage to the young Qb's they've drafted already.

#44 Cman68, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  5. FJF

Of course Bowles is coaching for his job, I don’t understand how you think he shouldn’t. Now if/when(put me down for when)he is out of contention , there is nothing to convince me he won’t turn to the bench to do the evaluations. The only reason fitz played the end of last year was the loss of geno and petty and the red shirt planned for hack. I think this has been in place for a while, not sure why all the angst.

Peebag likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

That really isn't the future as I envision it

TBH we got VERY lucky McCown is completing 70% of his passes given his track record

Petty and Hack are on the bench because BOTH are fair at best

Mac needs to draft a YOUNG QB for this team or it s just wash rinse and repeat a 7-9 Season over and over...and no SB unless Josh M morphs into Jim Plunkett

Jets69 likes this.
  7. Cman68

I'm not saying he shouldn't FJ. I get it. Best chance to win and all that. I just hate to see the Kid QB's get caught up in all this. Neither Petty nor Hack deserve this. They both should be on other teams getting real experience playing and perhaps even improving their skills. Petty is going on 26 and if he doesn't get to a team that will actually play him, his career will never take off and he'd be better off selling insurance. Hack has the advantage of being the GM's project but even he has a shelf life.

Once I realized why Petty won't ever play, my angst stems from the Jets reluctance to release or trade him. As it is, two young QB's are being wasted on a team that only covets and plays Older Veteran QB's. Any young college QB drafted by the Jets should just stay in school another year or go play in the CFL. They could take their chances with the Jets, but they'll join the legions of young QB's drafted by the Jets who have never amounted to anything in the NFL. Getting drafted to play QB for the Jets is a career killer before they ever step on the field. Getting a fat contract to play QB manager for the Jets a year or two otoh, is lucrative. The Jets are who they are when it comes to QB's. A fat paycheck for Older Vets and a graveyard for kids.

8. Cman68

Unless that young QB you're talking about is a FQB / day one starter, what would be the point? The Jets don't develop young QB's but sure know how to hire "mentors" for them. For some strange reason, the mentoring never seems to pan out for the kids though. Pays great for the Mentor.

Peebag and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. Walt White

I keep seeing fans say that Bowles is 'coaching for his job' like he's doing something rogue from what Mac is doing and he's scared or some nonsense. That they both report to Woody like that means they don't talk or consider the future together. Or they're addressing the QB from a flawed view like the team has done since the middle of the last century.. In a measly 6 months we'll know more.

TonyFtLaud, Jets69 and FJF like this.
  10. Cman68

"Bowles is coaching for his extention" would be a better way to put it. I think both will indeed get their extensions but his preference is playing Vet QB game managers. Fitz for 2 and now McCown for at least another year. Unless something drastic happens, the young QB's will be mothballed another year. For Hack, its not so bad as he's relatively young. For Petty, this could be a career killer as he's at the age where QB's start to come into their own. For his career's sake, Petty needs to GTFOH as soon as he can but for some reason, Macc holds him hostage. Go Figure.

11. FJF

I don’t see a team that covets vet qbs
    I see a team that can’t evaluate qbs and has no choice but to play vet qbs.
    Petty and hack don’t deserve anymore than the check they get each week as per their contracts. The nfl highway is littered with those guys that never got a chance,were in the wrong place wrong time whatever you want to call it. Talent rises, if they have something they will show it somewhere.there are not enough qbs as it is. If they don’t it won’t be the jets fault. They will just be added to the list of guys that can’t play nfl qb.

12. Walt White

I'm not assuming anything. I think any combination of things is possible. From McCown, Petty, Hack, to signing someone else altogether and drafting another in any round in the draft. McCown's not the long term future and I have no doubt they believe that. It's something that's playing out.
    If Petty can play he'll be here next year. Morton will be a part of that too I think.

13. Cman68

I think Morton may be the best thing to have happened to this franchise in a long time. At least now they have someone that has a history of working with a FQB and knows what one looks like. Morton has transformed the offense so far. Now maybe between him and Bates, they can actually start to develop young QB talent. It may be too late for Petty and perhaps Hack, but going forward there would be no hope without Morton. It wouldn't hurt to cut out the sham QB competitions though..

TonyFtLaud, NCJetsfan and Walt White like this.
  14. Walt White

Yeah, that really seems to have been a good hire. Good move by Bowles and/or Mac. I'm just hoping that somehow I'll be pleasantly surprised by how the QB thing turns out this off-season. A trade, a signing, a draft pick, a showing from Petty, anything for more hope :)

NCJetsfan, boozer32 and Cman68 like this.
  15. Cman68

Very rarely does a rookie QB come into the league day one ready. The lucky draftees wind up on teams that know how to develop QB talent. The unlucky ones wind up on the Jets and other mediocre teams. The Failed QB NFL highway is littered true, but the Jets debris field is far longer than most. 4 homegrown QB's in 50 years is quite the testament to a team that doesn't have a clue. The only hope is that Morton and Bates are around long enough to train at least 1 more. Until then, the Jets are more than comfortable NOT investing in the position thru the draft but instead, signing Vet QB game managers to come in, play within a system and just be happy to be playing somewhere for nice coin.
    With the 3 wins, it won't be this year the Jets get their QBoTF as they really need help in other areas in particular the DLine (again), CB and OLine. If we're lucky, Macc will listen to Morton and Bates IF he decides to invest a high DP in a QB. Not holding my breath on that. Just shit luck Petty and Hack got drafted by the Jets when they did.. If the Jets had hired Morton 2 years ago instead of Gailey, perhaps Petty and Hack would be a lot further along career wise than they are. Sad really..

#54 Cman68, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Well all of that is depressing and I will be expecting the Jets to be worst then, So is this year the tank job or next year?

17. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

There will not be a tank this or the next season. McCown is mediocre enough to get us enough wins to eliminate the team from getting a decent QB in the draft. The same thing will happen next year. QBs like McCown will never ever put a team over the top, they are predictable, you know exactly what you get from them, he'll always play on the same level and it's up to other players to make the most out of every play.

18. Cman68

aka: Doing the same things over and over expecting a different result..

#57 Cman68, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

IF the team keeps winning we won't see Petty. That said I don't think they will continue to keep winning even though the games coming up are not as scary as the once appeared.Bowels IMO and I said this in August will NOT play the kids ,and thats at many positions where again IMO he should. He is coaching for his job / extension and will NOT play the kids , just look at what happened as soon as Forte was able to get back on the field. What I do think is the Mccown will at some point sadly get hurt , then Petty will see the field and we might see what we have in this guy .

TonyFtLaud and Cman68 like this.
  20. FJF

There is no tank job,never was. There was just a cutting of dead wood,an infusion of youth and a vet qb that is just good enough to be the best qb on the roster.
    I’d expect next year to be about the same at worse and but room for improvement with another year in the offensive system and a few additions with cap and picks.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  21. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Never? You sure about that? Cause Sanchez and Geno starting day 1 kinda weakens your argument. In fact it kinda makes you seem to have no clue what you’re talking about.

soh_vet likes this.