Next years QB if the Jets win too many games

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Assuming arthritis doesn't prevent him for hoisting anything at all...:)

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Erectile dysfunction should never be joked about ! Lol

Cman68 likes this.
  3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If they want to keep their job, they'll be looking for a QB that will take them to the next level. McCown is not that. Can't keep on retaining your job by employing older backup qb's and get away with it forever. How many years are we going to waste? It's almost been a decade since we made the playoffs

4. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

From your lips to God's ears, man. Luck would be the most talented QB, in his prime, to wear the uniform. Can only think of what Mac would have to give up -- a first plus a conditional 1st plus Wilkerson and Williams?

Also, a quick flashback: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/06/andrew_luck_on_someday_being_quarterback_of_the_je.html

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Then someone had better turn the light on at Jet HQ. I don't see any change in the near future from the QB path they're on now. They'll never lose enough games to be in the running for a real FQB nor will they give up enough DP's to trade up into the top 3. Throw in the win now mentality and you'll get exactly what we've been seeing now for years. A mediocre team signing marginal Vet QB's to run a mediocre system.

The Jets always play it safe. This shows in their choices for GM, HC (Rex being the outlier), QB's, you name it. When they step out of character, they get burned because they don't know wtf they're doing. Just ask Mo about his contract or Macc bidding against himself for Fitz 2.0.

Now that Macc has been burned twice with bad contracts, what makes you think he'll do anything other than BPA again this upcoming draft, resign McCown (mentor/placeholder/gamemanager/bestchancetowin) and MAYBE draft an unknown QB to mollify the fanbase in the later rounds? Do you suddenly view Macc as some profile in courage willing to take the leap of faith and trade DP's for position in order to get a shot at the true FQB?

Don't hold your breath as you may need it one day.

6. grkmanga31

I think your points are legitimate, the Jets are notorious for doing stupid shit and Macc does not have the best track record with free agent contracts. My thing is, after 1 ok season where we missed the playoffs by 1 game, a really bad year where we looked like an embarrassment of a an organization, and this year where we are just good enough to screw ourselves out of a top pick, but bad enough where we may go 5-11 or 4-12, Macc nor Bowles can keep on retaining their respective positions unless we win. For all we know, Chris Johnson mite let go of both at seasons end. The point that I'm trying to make is Macc would be an absolute idiot to re-sign McCown to a similar deal Fitz signed and would be the easiest way to get run out of town when shit hits the fan. IMO Macc will either chase after the big money QB's, or will have to, whether he likes it or not, draft a QB in round 1. No ways around it given the lack of success the team has had.

I still am not ruling out the possibility both Macc and Bowles are gone at seasons end. No playoff appearances in 3 seasons on the job is hard to overlook

NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Let's hope this doesn't turn into another Jeff Fisher type of situation. Kept him for the sake of keeping him as Titans and Rams wanted stability and consistency, only thing both organizations got was a constant losing team.

At the end of the day all I know is that Mac and Bowles have been mediocre at best going into their 3rd season and if this season ends with another 5 or less win season, I have no problems with both of them being fired.

Whether Mac is Drafting QBs that can't challenge a below average journeyman for a starting position, or having a HC who can't or doesn't know how to develop offensive players it's still a recipe for an average team.

If what we are seeing is their blueprint for a team, then don't expect things to get any better and expect another journeyman to be the QB for the jets next year.

#127 Red Menace, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Cman68 and grkmanga31 like this.
  8. grkmanga31

If they want to continue bringing in older journeyman QB's then we will continue to see a team that wins enough games to not get a stud QB prospect whilst also sucking enough where we wither away into irrelevancy. I do not want McCown starting next season. He's been a welcome surprise but his interceptions are a reminder that he is what he is. I will say though that his leadership qualitied and un-selfish attitude are admirable and as a locker room presence I have no doubt it's been extremely beneficial.

But, we cannot continue to kick the can down the road. If Macc is back at the helm, he needs to either own up to a mistake in picking Hack, or actually give him game time. He did not earn the starting spot so I have no problem with him being on the bench but at some point there needs to be some movement. Get me Kirk Cousins or pick a QB in the first round. I'm tired of pedaling old QB's out there hoping that we win enough games to not be considered the worst team in the league.

Cman68, NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

It's the Johnsons imo

They don't WANT to win a SB like the Maras or Rooney or Jones family

They are screwing the fans with year after year of no FQB but ok with "mentor" mentality ...plus Mac putzed big time with Hackenberg

If we go 9-7 or 7-9 it makes NO difference to this owner and his Waldo brother ...get it??? Its a Corporation who wants a profit that's it...fill the seats and make a bottom line

Sure they tell Toilet Bowls "show us improvement" Not DEMANDING a playoff berth or close to it ...I know posters will say we are not close to being a playoff team...but I just don't see any SENSE OF URGENCY to do something Championlike for 50 years now??? If we muddle through and avoid tanking then what??? No future planning at all

They should show some balls and carefully choose the best QB in the draft and mortgage "the future" for him The "future" is if guys have not noticed will be the hairstyle etc etc

Sorry but I beginning to believe Champ 69 is right....grrrrr

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Cman68 and NY Jets68 like this.
  11. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Unfortunately , that's something you can't teach..McCown is what he is - to quote "I am what I am, and that's all that I am" (Popeye, 1932)

Bowles will just shrug it off and continue to try to cover his you know what. Big question is what will it take to get Petty on the field? We should hold a raffle - 3 game losing streak? 4? 5? My guess would be when they are officially eliminated from any post season contention, sad to say....

Jets69 likes this.