You guys got screwed...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Yehoodi

Yehoodi Active Member

The ref that called the TD did not see the ball come loose as Jenkins body block his view and he was looking at the goal line at the time.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Oh, so that was you.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

lets say that is the correct interpretation for a second (which i still don't believe it is)

Remember the ball is allowed to move when hitting the ground as long as you maintain control. they changed that rule a few years back (calvin johnson rule) before any move or any part of the ball touching the ground was considered not possessed. now it can move and touch the ground and still be considered possessed as long as you maintain control of the ball.

[​IMG]

that is as clear as you can get as far as having control of the ball. it's tucked in his elbow and pinned on his chest by his hand

here in the video you can see he maintains the ball pinned on his body all the way even when he stands up. he never lost control of the ball since he regained control while in bounds prior to being down whether it be by the knee, the shoulder, or the ball crossing the line. So he regained control in bounds, went to the ground and maintained control all the way until he stood up still holding the ball. where did he lose control during any of that?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Yehoodi

Yehoodi Active Member

This rule deals with possession and what he needs to maintain possession otherwise one could use this rule to say a WR does not need two feet to have possession. What we are dealing with is gaining possession of a ball, which is important really in only two cases the ball coming out of the air in a pass to a receiver and a playing going after a loose ball.

The rule I cited is the one that is use when we are looking at breaking the plane for a TD, is a player down etc. And we have to determine if at that time does the person have possession of the ball. He has already obtained possession prior to this point per the other rules, we just want to know if he still has possession at this point in time, during the knee going down or crossing the plane

5. Yehoodi

Yehoodi Active Member

The bold part is the entire battlefield here, everything else is important to show elements and time line, but it all boils down to did or did not the ball move in Jenkins hand outside his control as he rolled over on the ground. Exactly.

Corrente thought that it did, and thus was the evidence needed to overturn, most of the nation feel it did not move outside his control and thus TD call should of been affirmed.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You’re a patriots fan. You can’t help deluding yourself that your team’s success should be imputed to you. No harm.

7. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

I think the Team should unleash their anger on the up coming game.

8. GasedAndConfused

exactly. in the video you can clearly see him control the ball to the ground while rolling and while getting up. he never let the ball out of his control. it was pinned on his body the whole time

9. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

(1) What did the Pats players do that makes them deserving of possession? They didn't touch the ball!
    (2) ASJ never lost possession! There was a bobble, but can anyone say that he lost possession of that ball?
    (3) How can you overturn the call on the field?
    (4) Why are Pats fans coming here with their hyper-technical excuses for why they believe the call deserved to get reversed? Send Riveron a Christmas card - I don't give a flying turd for what you or he thinks. You got the call. You won the game. Brady had balls deflated. Belichick videotaped. The Patriot Way is nothing but systemic cheating. Don't come here and tell me I don't know these things.

10. oldrover

oldrover Member

Actually, I've gotten that same response from Pats fans when I slip up and do that. We're all just watching... they're the ones winning and losing.

11. Bobdigital

Bobdigital Member

I will start off saying I am a Patriots fan so you can call me bias if you wish. I think it was the correct call and frankly I like the rule. I think liking the rule will be a lot less popular than thinking it was the correct call.

I just think so many rules these days favor offense that it is nice when a few favor the defense. We have made scoring points and TDs so easy for offense that I like penalizing players who fail to execute properly on offense in those key moments and rewards the defense for forcing errors. Also for what it is worth I disliked the tuck rule as that too heavily favored offenses as well.

12. We can agree to disagree about the leveraging call..but it does not hold foot to the overall discussion.There was no national controversy beyond pissed off Patriot fans who really have no leg to stand on when the infraction took place & is in the rule book.

There are questionable calls & there are outright bad calls.I ask again..what BAD call that cost them a game has transpired? I recall the Panthers game from a few year's back on a Sunday night when last play of the game on a Hail Mary to gronk Pats fans were screaming for interference on Luke Kuechle who had his back to the play but avoided contact throughout the incompletion..that's the only play I can think of. & that was sour grapes at best.

If we take you at your word which suggests that every time the patriots lose its bc of a bad call that opens a can of worms.One could make the assumption that the game is largely won & lost based on officiating.Given the fact that the patriots lose significantly less often than anybody else doesn't this suggest favorable calls in most instances?Even if it only holds true if 50% a games..25% even..

Do I think the NFL refs systemically give the patriots calls?No I don't..there are plenty of other conspiracies surrounding the Patriots that have more legs than that.

But do I think the NFL wants the Patriots to win?Absolutely.Do I think certain teams "get calls"?I sure do. Do I think these 2 notions overlap & intersect?You better believe it.

I'm sure you have no ill intent but to come to a Jets board & claim the Patriots don't get blatant calls in their favor & further painting the team as victims.. I'm not sure how you expect us to listen to that lying down..it's bordering on insiulting

#192 KurtTheJetsFan, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

so i decided to download the rule book

this is what is considered a loose ball in flight as the ball is in the air and not in possession of any player (for the split second it was knocked out)

possession is
    A player is in possession when he is inbounds and has a firm grip and control of the
    ball with his
    hands or arms

OK so by rule what we have here is a fumble, loose ball in flight. Now according to rule how do we regain possession?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So for this case lets see what we have

1) complete control of the ball - ASJ had it pinned on his body with both arms around it. that is complete control
    2) both feet or any part of the body other then hands on the ground in bounds - which he clearly did i have stills of his knee down and shoulder down in bounds with control
    3) now the notes, it says he must maintain control of the ball after his initial contact with the ground which he did
    4) if going out of bounds and to the ground he must maintain complete and continuous possession which he did
    5) note 3 says A SLIGHT MOVEMENT OF THE BALL WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED LOSS OF POSSESSION

so clearly by rule he recovered the fumble and hence should have been a TD

14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

"You guys got screwed..."

Yeah, we know bro. ;)

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It's just disappointing that something like that gets called in any game. The officiating blows all over the league. The Cheats D is the weak link, and the Jets were doing OK exploiting their secondary. Then they went away from it. D line is eh, OL actually did pretty OK. McCown was in one those motorized scooters at the supermarket a few times and had a lot of time to pick out junk food.

I think SolidGoldBowles wins the thread, but it will probably be overturned without conclusive evidence.

#195 jetophile, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  16. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

And while we're getting hypertechnical with our Pats fan friends, why was there no call on Butler for mugging the ref as he argued that ASJ had not reached the goal line? Funny how that doesn't get called and instead, the Pats get the ball. Please. This was a complete hose job.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Except the personalization of the team is one of the primary factors of sports fandom and the most basic aspect that teams use to market their product (the team and all consumer products for the team) to you.

So if the team not only wants you to personalize the team’s accomplishments but actually actively encourages that you do, who are some dipshit fans who have no understanding not only of their own psychological motivations but of the team’s active initiatives that promote that behavior to mock or question you about it?

If the team encourages you to personalize the team, that’s supersedes anyone else’s opinion on the matter.

18. GasedAndConfused

fuck it. it's so buried i'm making a new thread

19. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing this topic up, so we can discuss it, that was yesterday's news today's is the Dolphins

NYJetsO12 and Walt White like this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

To coin a phrase: "yesterday's gone..."

Jets69 likes this.