Next 3 Games...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jeti, Oct 16, 2017.

1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Get him away from the kickoff returns

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. If Petty was given enough playing time this season and acquitted himself with good play, then HE should be starting QB next season, not the 39 year-old McCown. If the Jets' plan is to start McCown again next season, I hope that McCown suffers a career-ending injury this season, and I hope that both Bowles and Mac are fired.

If McCown is starting for this team next season, I'm done with this moronic franchise.

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm thinking W, L, W, but knowing the Jets, probably L, W, L.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Anyone else a now a huge fan of mccown?

5. FJF

I think they are doing a good job getting the youngsters reps without leaning on them to win games.
    As far as mccown playing, he will get pulled when he is either hurt,playing terrible or we’re mathematically eliminated. No sooner

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Now, I know why Bowles wanted him here and why Petty and Hack couldn't beat this guy. He should come back next year, not as a starter but a back-up. Browns wanted him as a QB coach, maybe he has a future here? He's been very good this year despite being 38. Makes some throws that make you scratch your head, but what QB doesn't?

If we could only generate a running game, makes you wonder how good he could've been this year.

7. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

nope. I only hope when the young guys get a chance to play this season, they learn from Mccown that its ok to take a chance down the field once in a while.

I feel when Petty got a chance last year, he was afraid to go deep. he would just dink and dunk and try not to lose instead of just playing

Cman68 likes this.
  8. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

I'm not that well versed in how draft picks are acquired, but would we even have a chance to draft a decent QB with a 5-11 record? Honestly, it seems to me we can go above 5 wins. But what then, it's either McCown or an inexperienced Petty. Imo putting Petty in in the second part of the season when most players are not playing their best anymore does very little for his development. I really can't help but wonder what would our record be if Petty had been starting. I can't shake this feeling that the team is making a huge mistake by not playing Petty.

9. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Jets will be 6-3 and sign McCown to a stopgap extension, after all, we need more time to "develop" Hack. Lol

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Huge fan? no... Huge fan of Morton? almost.

For what they're asking him to do, after all these years in the league McCown should be pretty good at it. At the very least better than 2 QB who have had zero mentoring and development since they came into the league. He even has an OC with a clue instead of a dinosaur. Does it help the Jets long term? Not really. Does it help short term? yes.

The Future is now. Long live the Future!

#30 Cman68, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Quite a few of us here also feel strongly that way. But many - maybe even a majority - are just fine with Mediocre McCown - like Bowles, they believe "He gives us the best chance to win", as if winning a few extra, meaningless games this season is helpful. And again, let me repeat: NO! I don't want them to "tank", or lose on purpose, and in fact, root for them to win every week, BUT, they need to be finding out just what they have on hand, and what they need in the future. If by playing Petty and some of the other youngsters causes them to lose some games they MIGHT'VE won with McCown, so be it. And whose to say that Petty won't actually win some games that McCown would lose? If by doing that they drop in draft order, but have found a reliable, if not franchise, QB, good.

But this acceptance of poor-to-mediocre performances year after year by the fans is what has doomed this franchise. Great teams take chances, and the Jets are the most risk-averse team I've ever seen. Where would they be if they had the balls to take Mahomes or Watson? Better off for sure. And that's not 20-20 hindsight on my part, I prayed they would break out of character and be bold, but that was never gonna happen. And I really doubt we're going to see Petty unless McCown is hurt. Forget thinking that if they're out of it Bowles will put him in at that point...ain't going to happen as long a "Best Chance To Win McCown" can still stand upright. And if that turns out to be the case, I will end my over half a century support of this team.

Rivers23 and Cman68 like this.
  12. Cman68

What I think we're overlooking is that the Jets aren't doing anything different than what they've always done. Let young QB's rot on the bench while signing old Vet Qb's to come in and manage the offense. The Jets simply do not play young QB's mainly because they never draft any QB's with day one potential. Why? because we're always drafting D in the first round. At least now with Morton on the staff, there's ONE coach that has actually worked up close with a FQB so he knows what one looks like. Perhaps his voice won't be drowned out this upcoming draft but I doubt it. It will be BPA-D again in the hopes of a edge rusher or run stuffer followed by another CB. With all our cap cash, we'll resign McCown and MAYBE a LT or LG to protect his blindside. What Macc won't do is give up on Hacc or trade/release Petty because although they hate Petty's very existence, there's no one behind him on the bench ready to back up McCown if and when he returns to earth. Hacc most likely will be McCown's back up in 2018 and Petty will be gone if he's lucky. It is quite possible that Hacc will set a new modern record for years in the league without taking a snap too. Look for yet another SHAM QB COMPETITION next year too. Gotta provide a good cover story for the media and fanbase.

#32 Cman68, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  13. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I am not sure I agree. If the team loses but is competitive and looks like they are playing better, he will stay. That is what management stated before the season and it hasn't changed.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

The thing about McCown is that he's the kind of QB who will make some good plays, but will inevitably make enough bad ones that he will do more damage than good or just do enough to invalidate the good plays. Secondly, I am under the impression he's been feeding off the hustle of the young players. He's not the type of QB who creates, he's the type whom other players make look good. I don't wanna sound harsh but that's my impression. Some people have made the argument that he's a stable placeholder who enables the rest of the team to develop. That's true to an extent, but we have to remember that we're getting wins that are irrelevant in the big picture at the price of not developing young QB talent.

ColoradoContrails, Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  15. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

What more has to be seen from Hack and Petty, sure maybe week 15-17 to get them reps but until/if McCown gets hurt he should be the starter. Damn the "kids" they both combined aren't better than McCwn atleast he looks respectable and gives us a legit chance to win. Not to mention Bowles gets no credit for any good he does, and most fans don't know how incredibly hard it is to be a HC in the NFL, not t mention a black HC. He's unfortunately coaching for his job and he's going to put his best foot forward to win games because those guys in the locker room are competitive af. U can't want us to loose games and expect him to be comfortable with his job security i wish him nothing but the best and that for this team means Petty and Hack don't see the field at all this season

GreenWhiteandGold and FJF like this.
  16. Cman68

And this is why the Jets shouldn't be allowed to draft College Qb's ever again. They will waste their careers by coming to the Jets so they can rot on the bench while the team goes thru Vet Qb's one after another. If the best outcome for the team is Petty and Hack don't see the field this year, then the best outcome for Hack and Petty is one or both are released or traded. There is no future for either of them on this team.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

What exactly does playing McCown do for the future of the Jets? Are you gonna bring him back next year and have no idea what Petty can do with a real receiver like Kearse and a real TE like Jenkins and a real RB like McGuire. McCown needs to sit he's played well over his head already its time for him to revert back to the scrub he is.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I admit I bought into the tank. How could you not when you start a McCown and Hackenberg is awful. Its been awhile since the Jets took a QB in the first round and that would get the fanbase excited and push Hackenberg as far away from this team as possible. Now the whole plan is scrambled and what do they do next year in the draft? More defensive players since the defense is stil bad. Does McCown come back? The worst part would be Bowles coming back. Those 3 options will not help the Jets at all. Spending truckloads of money on a Cousins will not be the answer either.

19. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

We will win all 3 games! Nvm, I was dreaming...

20. FJF

If hack/petty don’t see the field mac should proceed as if he doesn’t have a qb, mccown will be back if he plays the whole season like he has and a draft pick will make one of hack/petty expendable.
    Bowles will most likely be back,I would start preparing myself for that reality if I was you.

Brook! and Walt White like this.