You guys got screwed...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Oct 15, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think we all ought to write to Commissioner Goodell and threaten that if he doesn't fire Al Riveron (or whomever the asshole was who overturned that call), and let him know that we will no longer tolerate the favoritism and special treatment given to the Pats, that we will boycott attending any NFL games, buying any NFL gear, stop watching, and urge friends and family to do the same. When their ratings go down and they start getting complaints from irate network magnates, maybe he'll listen. When stadiums have significantly fewer fans, and when significantly less NFL gear is sold, that should get his attention.

We can remind him that a lot of American people are already pissed off at the NFL due to players sitting or kneeling during the National Anthem. We can remind him that they are already losing fans due to the shoddy product on the field as a result of the last CBA agreement limiting practices where teams can actually hit.

2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

For argument's sake, let's say I understand the rule and I understand why the call was reversed. Can anyone provide me with a non-rule justification for why the Patriots should get the ball? How is that fair? How is that deserved? How is that logical?

It's one of the most unfair things I've ever seen in sports and is the result of a hyper-technical interpretation of the rules. I compare it to Dustin Johnson being called for a penalty shot on the 18th hole of the PGA Championship for grounding his club in a "bunker" that was just a trampled pasture. Bobbling the ball across the goal line but maintaining possession through the ground should not result in a turnover to the other team. Ever. Fuck the NFL.

3. NCJetsfan

Spot on! When a team fumbles the ball out of bounds, it doesn't go to the other team unless that team gained possession/control of the ball first and then fumbled it out of bounds.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. regan62072

regan62072 Well-Known Member

61 on the Pats was holding the whole game, I almost fell over when they actually called it in the 4th...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Walt White likes this.
  5. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

The refs are just helping the Jets tank.
    The Jets should send them a thank you note.

6. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Even though I am a Pats fan, I am unbiased enough to admit the Jenkin's fumble call was probably wrong. I say probably because no argument that I have seen contradicts my belief at this point. But let say for the sake of argument the call was correct and Jenkins did fumble?

Why should the defense, in this case the Patriots, get the ball when they never touched the ball to begin with? The proper outcome would be to place the ball at the 1 yard line or where ever it was deemed that Jenkins fumbled the ball. The idea being you can't advanced the football on a fumble. To me this seems like a more simple and fair rule to follow. The idea that a team recovers a fumble when they never even touch the ball is simply flawed.

Had the Jets got the ball at the 1 yard line and not lost possession, I think many of you would be annoyed but not upset as you are now. To go from a touch down to losing possession based on the ball not being securely held is insane indeed as a rule. Maybe this rule can be changed in the owners meeting.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  7. Patriot

I agree with your analysis of the call. Maybe I am incorrect but in 2017 the NFL changed the review process to be more like MLB. The head referee gets a tablet and consults with the officials in New York. The refs in New York actually get the final say, not the ref on the field.

So for this call to be over turned, the folks in New York had to agree with it or had the final say. So you may need to fire some more folks is what I am trying to say here.

8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

It's brutal every way you slice it. I'm almost sorry I read this it's making me sick all over again, it's so well said.

Yeah, the play sequence at the end of the 1st half was a killer. But I did not think that game was over then. These games all come down to a few plays all throughout the complete 60 minutes. And that game was tied before they pulled that bs, and the team earned that tie.

#88 Walt White, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I am sure you would say the same thing if the TD stood and the pats eventually lost the game.

10. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

Why do these controversies constantly benefit New England is the real question that should be asked

11. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

It's a stupid rule that's probably never been used before.
    The Patriots are a well run football team, I'll give them that, but I've never seen a team benefit from so many bullshit calls as what they get... also fuck the Patriots.

ColoradoContrails and hornblower like this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice on the very first Patriot play after the touchback/reversal the refs threw flags on TWO different Patriots to call offensive holding? Feeling a little guilty so throw the team that just got screwed a bone?

13. Patriot

Yes I would be saying the same thing. It is a dumb rule. I think its safe to say had the call gone the other way against the Pats, many in Patriot land would be upset and claim the league is out to get them.

I try to call it the way I see it. Would the Jets have won the game is a good question? We will never know for sure because of this call. The Pats 10 point lead would have been a 3 point lead at that time. Obviously a serious change in the complexion of the game.

14. Patriot

When the Patriots were a losing franchise before the Krafts took ownership, they couldn't buy a break and were the recipients of bad calls all the time. This seemed to all change that snowy night in January against the Raiders, by the way which was the last game in the old stadium.

They say that winners make their breaks, but I have noticed over the years that lady luck and good fortune do happen for winning teams. Maybe this is the nature of things and may be explained by some Karma we don't all understand.

Had the Jets found a way to win this game, even with this adversity of a bad call, then one could truly say the Jets are truly a championship team. Champions do find a way to win even when things are not going well for them. When they win under these circumstances, we the public forget how they were screwed and maybe only remember how they benefited from calls.

The Patriots have been the recipients of bad calls but they seem to always find a way to not let these calls prevent them from obtaining their goal.

Maybe, just maybe, this bad call was a good test for a young Jet team that is trying to learn to become champions. I know some of you might not see it that way. But if the Jets can't find a way to deal with adversity, how can they ever be champions?

In any event, hopefully the football Gods will be kinder to the Jets in the future.

Bellows1 likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

it also says in the rules you're not supposed to videotape the other teams signals or deflate the footballs to your quarterbacks liking.

[​IMG]

16. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The touchdown call was overturned by clear evidence. That is the most absurd part of this.

17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Can we talk about this "fumble" rule in general?

I've been watching football religiously for 20 years now. Can someone explain to me at what point fumbling started happening in this league when the ball never even hits the ground?

That's a thing? I've never seen someone fumble the ball that never hit the ground in my life, till now...

Who the fuck are making these rules? What drugs were these people on in the moment in which they decided a rule like this would be a good thing for this game?

Same goes for the catch rule that was implemented. A player could catch a ball but somehow be told they didn't catch the ball. When the ball doesn't touch the ground or land in the other teams hands, it's a fucking catch. Let's get real here.

So dumb...

I'm not even mad the Jets lost, it was a good game. These insane "rules" got me annoyed AF though.

18. Patriot

Ok it appears the guy you may want to fire is Alberto Riveron.

NFL senior vice president of officiating Alberto Riveron made the call on Sunday to overturn a Jets touchdown and award a touchback to the Patriots in their 24-17 win, and on Monday he stood by his decision.

Now if any of you crazy Jets fans out there do any harm to this guy, I am not responsible. Folks it is just a football game and Alberto was just trying to do his job. He did state that the rule sucks if it makes you feel any better.

Peace my fellow Jets fans!

19. NCJetsfan

Yeah, I didn't realize that change had occurred, and imo, it's not for the better. Why should some asshat sitting in his office in NY be able to overrule the refs that are right there at the game. Odds are that the refs on the field are younger, have better vision, better coordination and better qualified than some older fatcat sitting on his duff in an office.

Off with his head and anyone else in the NFL that supports such insanity!

20. NCJetsfan

Tom, I could be wrong, but it sounds as if you're doubting Patriot's veracity. I believe he would say the same thing if the Pats lost the game. Patriot seems to be a good, decent, honest guy.