You guys got screwed...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Head of NFL officiating said after looking at it it's clearly no TD close the thread, harping over it and not getting over it is just being stereotypical angry jets fans. Don't be what they made you

2. 40yrpatsfan

40yrpatsfan Member

Pats fan here. Common sense says that's either a TD or place it on the 2" line. Calling it a turnover is absurd.
    Refs are all saying the call was according to rule, but the rule is way out of whack then. Clearly.

3. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

I agree. Instant replay sucks. They waste our time reviewing every goddamn detail and half the time its still wrong

dogg and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. JulesWinfield89

if you arent being sarcastic you can go to hell

5. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

I think that TD plays being subject to review is a good thing. However, if the system does not work and results in correct decisions on the field being overturned, that there's no point in reviews. I think that on paper the review rules are good, reviews inside 2 minute warning, TD plays, no overturning the calls on field without clear evidence. But if the league can't follow its own review rules, again, no point in reviews if the outcome of the review isn't always 100% correct. I mean there's absolutely no reason for reviews to be wrong, they have time, they have angles, they have all the conditions needed for a correct call.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Let me ask you this (assuming you watched football before IR was adopted):

Do you think IR has made the game better?

I'll answer first: No. It's made them slow an already ridiculously lengthy game even worse. And it robs fans of being able to determine for themselves what actually happened. B.I.R. (Before Instant Replay), you had to actually clearly carry the ball over the goal line; or clearly fumble; etc. - almost always the fans could see the play and the reason for the ruling. But now you need to wait until they put everything under a microscope and use thousandths of seconds to determine anything.

Use well-trained refs who are graded, replacing the under-performers, and live with their rulings.

dogg likes this.
  7. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

Well, I don't know, how much time do replays take in average in a game? 5-10 minutes? If that's the price of getting the right call near the end of a close game, if that's the price of ensuring that no team gets treated unfairly, I'm willing to pay that price. Again, I think the problem isn't IR itself, it's in how they use it because on paper it's fine. The paper doesn't say ''dissect every second'', the paper says the ruling on the field can only be overturned by overwhelming evidence which is beyond reasonable doubt. So officials still have the authority they've always had. That's quite simple, but the officials in NY hq found a way to completely butcher everything.

8. JulesWinfield89

yeah except most of the time they get it wrong because its "inconclusive". Whos to decide what conclusive or indisputable means? Was yesterdays crap indisputably not a TD? No way

9. ColoradoContrails

I know what the rule SAYS, but the problem lies in how its employed. On balance, it hasn't prevented major problems from happening, like yesterday, and many other instances. On balance it has not improved the game.

dogg likes this.
  10. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

And that's entirely due to the incompetence of that head ref in NY or people who do those reviews, it's not the rule itself that's the problem.

As far as I understand it, if anything's debatable the ruling on the field stands. If any kind of maybe is present, the ruling stands. If you can't see clearly from any angle, the ruling stands. But as I said, they found a way to screw the pooch and ruin this simple system.

11. ColoradoContrails

But if there was no rule, there would be no problem, see? IOW" If there is no I.R., then there is no opportunity for some faceless official, far removed from the actual game, to mess things up.

It's simply another way for the micro-managing to interfere even more with the flow of the game. This is where soccer has it all over football: nothing stops the clock - injuries, nothing. There's no T.O.s, once the game starts its up to the players on the field to decide it...the coaches are taken out of the equation for the most part. It's not perfect, but it's far better than the 3 1/2 hours of tedium we get now.

dogg likes this.
  12. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

13. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

No need to abolish the rule, just fire the people who can't make a decision based on countless angles, slow motion footage, etc. I still think that the probability is higher that a ref on the field will make a bad call because he simply couldn't see something as opposed to guys watching slow motion footage.

Speaking of soccer, in my national league just this weekend there were 4 bad offside calls directly influencing outcomes of the games. Then there's always bickering about penalty kicks because the rule is any foul in the box is a penalty, but in practice it turns out it has to be a ''strong enough'' foul, did the player dive or did he really get pushed that strong, etc. Then the ball touching the hand or an arm, was it intentional, was the hand in a natural position, could the player have moved the hand to avoid the ball, etc. The stoppage time after the 90th minute almost never makes up for time lost on injuries and substitutions, you can stall the game easily. At least in the NFL there is a strong probability that an outright bad call that affects the outcome of the game will get corrected.

hwismer likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a conspiracy among the Zebras...very shady and JFK like

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It’s obvious what happened in the replay booth. He clearly loses momentary possession of the ball, and from that moment on the replay official ruled from the perspective that the fumble was indisputable evidence that he lost possession and without further indisputable evidence that he regains possession then it is a fumble and overturned.

this is in direct conflict of the rule that requires him to rule it as the on-field call — a TD — without indisputable evidence to the contrary. There was no evidence that he did not have possession when he scored, but the replay official had already made up his mind it was a fumble and used that simply to overturn it.

The official simply ignored the rule, and now they are defending it by saying there was a second fumble after he hit the ground to justify the fact that they ignored the rule. There is no evidence that he fumbled it again when he hits the ground, and no evidence he did not have possession when he crossed the goal line. The officials expect people to simply ignore what they saw.

16. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Just how drunk was the Head Clown in NY that reversed the call on the field?

17. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

The Pats getting so many calls so often is starting to make this feel less like a sport and more like "sports entertainment"

A bs controversial call like this couldn't come at a worse time for a league who's popularity is in noticeable decline.

Best thing they could have done was man up and admit fault. I'd have at least respected them for that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

18. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Seriously, what did you expect them to say? The response is purely political because they'd have said that no matter the outcome..

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is one of the few things that we'll ever disagree on. I like IR, and I think it's a good thing.

Even though the training of NFL refs has gotten better, as has their work, it still isn't good enough. It would get better if the refs were all former players, and who were hired full time, year-round to train and work on their skills. Even then, however, the human eye is just too limited at the speed at which plays happen, and can't see everything. Humans can also be biased, or worse, bribed. IMO NO team should lose a game due to a poor call or a corrupt official. We've all seen referees in every sport give breaks to stars or veterans and flag rookies or players they don't like for everything. That may not even be intentional and they may not even be aware that they do that. Technology removes the possibility that it can happen either way.

I disagree that bad calls even out. I think at one time, that was true, but no longer. Look at the Pats. They get ALL the calls, and in the games in which they are playing, all or approximately 95% of the bad calls always are against the team playing the Pats.

I think we've seen more controversy because the rules aren't consistently applied, and the league is obviously biased in favor of the Pats. Remove that bias, and IR will work just fine, or at least a lot better. I think infrared should be used as well for the goals lines and sidelines to remove any doubt of when a player steps out of bounds. There also has to be a way that they can put some kind of sensor in the football that will show the difference between when the ball is in the grasp of a human hand, when it is in the air, and when it is on the ground. If it and replay cameras can be tied to a computer and computerized clock, all the better. In that way, we could tell down to the fraction of a second when a player loses control of the ball on a fumble or down to the fraction of a second when he catches a pass and when he steps on the sideline marker. IMO they should make it totally scientific, and remove any chance for human error (at least as far as technology allows).

As far as players "letting a bad call beat you, you didn't play good enough to deserve winning," it can have merit on occasion, but often is not true. It ignores human nature, especially with young players who are still maturing. They are human beings, not machines. The horrible call on ASJ's 2nd TD yesterday, totally changed the flow and momentum of that game. The Jets had fought hard to get to where they were. They may not have scored again and won, but at least they'd have been a lot closer and had a chance to win. As it is, they had no chance to win.

Also, what happens when a horrific call happens in the last minute of a game? There a team has played its heart out, played well enough to win, maybe led the whole game, maybe even dominated the game, but a fluke play or two, and the bad call at the end, where they had no time or chance to try to overcome the bad call, doomed them.

Also, what about when there are multiple bad calls.? Supposedly, there were three yesterday. If true, the Jets overcame the two earlier bad calls, but the third one left them gutted and gobsmacked. Asking any human being to just get over that many screw jobs is not realistic imo.

#79 NCJetsfan, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    hwismer likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, he's a lying, cock-sucking sob. It's worth being angry over. If Jets fans, other team's fans, and team owners don't raise hell with the NFL, the favoritism towards the Pats will never stop. I think they're stupid for not doing it already. You can't tell me that if 31 of the 32 owners told Goodell that if that BS didn't stop, he and all his staff would be out on their asses in a NY minute, that it wouldn't.